Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Aluminum Prices

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Have seen the same thing on my tubing. Gone from about $18/stick to $25/stick if I buy 60-75 sticks at a time. I've been quoted as much as $36/stick if I only buy 25 at a time.
    Often it's not about how much something costs. It's more about how much you can charge and get away with it.

Healthcare in the USA is a good example of that but for now the focus is on steel and aluminium.

Does anybody for a minute believe anything made from steel or aluminium will get cheaper? Some will though get richer but it won't be you (plural) or me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I'm thinkin' that Don needs to start a new board titled "Employees and Slaves" so that the owners and managers can have their board back.
    yeah, where is that moderator?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm thinkin' that Don needs to start a new board titled "Employees and Slaves" so that the owners and managers can have their board back.
    Not an entirely facetious proposal, at that. The thread was about aluminum prices and presumably, since it was in this subforum, how—and whether—it might affect the owners who have to buy it in order to keep their employees employed machining it. Instead we got the expected lectures about the evil plutocrats who control the wealth. The only thing missing was mention of the Bilderbergs and Rothschilds. Or was it the Rockefellers? I can't keep them straight, probably because I made it and am not angrily looking for someone to blame.

4. Likes Mcgyver, converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People in here act like foreign countries don't tariff USA goods and allow them into their countries with no restrictions or hassles. This should be renamed the liberals talking out their ass thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Healthcare in the USA is a good example of that but for now the focus is on steel and aluminium.
    then wtf would you mention healthcare?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    People in here act like foreign countries don't tariff USA goods and allow them into their countries with no restrictions or hassles. This should be renamed the liberals talking out their ass thread.
    No it should be renamed trumpistas who cannot count thread

seriously

Of course other countries tariff goods, they just don't have a moron doing it via tweet and 3 in the morning

you have negotiations, conversations, hey we want to keep our deep water navy port rent free, you want to sell you aluminum cheap

that is how it works

not this ignorant BS

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    US machine shops will pay more for their alu and steel.
    This will make their widgets more expensive.
    More expensive = smaller volume sold = less work.
    which = Americans less able to afford a widget = lower standard of living
    and which = higher prices for American made widgets sold abroad = lower sales = growth in the worlds largest current account deficit = lower US$ = high cost to imports = lower standard of living.

Who wins with a duty? =shareholders of steel and AL companies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Teriffs on raw materials are an absolutely terrible thing to doo to manufacturing!

If Finished Goods are not already teriffed at least the same amount, then the import countries have an even greater advantage!

Maybe scrap will go up some more?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Frying pan / Fire !!!

That's Big Gov gitt'n in the business and then it ends up being that you can apply for this or that to git some of your money back. (or in any other way - having an edge on some other shop that doesn't apply for what is essentially the dole)

I was farming back when Jimmy Carter decided that it'd be a swell idea to try to starve the Russians into submission. (1980 Grain Embargo) Trouble is - even growing up on the farm - he wasn't counting on Argentina! What a huge jump start for them!

Prices held OK for a cpl of years, but then tanked - and for a long time! Enough so that now I doubt that there is any farmer that can opperate without being on the dole in one way or another. Many fought it for many years, but in the end, the guys who doo jump on any opportunity will be able to overtake those that don't. He with the most scruples loses every time!

I have an idea! Maybe any $ collected could go towards the deficit! Remember that?
    Of course now-a-days, there's really no point in being concerned with it anymore as there is no possible way that we could ever pay that off anymore. Just wait 'till interest rates go up aggin... LOL!

Thanks W for my $200 cheque! (or was it $400? IDK)

I'm sorry. My overactive ethics are a major stumbling block for me in this world!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I think you better read the last few posts again... You are getting members mixed up.

... but you are right on the greed. It starts with one supplier finding a cheaper source, and then everybody else has to follow suit if they want to or not - just to stay in the game - b/c someone moved the bar down another notch.

See my farming post. No diff - other than the players...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Not an entirely facetious proposal, at that. The thread was about aluminum prices and presumably, since it was in this subforum, how—and whether—it might affect the owners who have to buy it in order to keep their employees employed machining it. Instead we got the expected lectures about the evil plutocrats who control the wealth. The only thing missing was mention of the Bilderbergs and Rothschilds. Or was it the Rockefellers? I can't keep them straight, probably because I made it and am not angrily looking for someone to blame.
    OX was in on the ground floor of turning this thread south.
    Also, you really should care about overcentralization...just like with the cccp, to much control in too few hands is bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    which = Americans less able to afford a widget = lower standard of living
    and which = higher prices for American made widgets sold abroad = lower sales = growth in the worlds largest current account deficit = lower US$ = high cost to imports = lower standard of living.

Who wins with a duty? =shareholders of steel and AL companies.
    Yep...except in very tiny market segments they are generally bad for consumers and good for owners.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Yep...except in very tiny market segments they are generally bad for consumers and good for owners.
    NyaHaHAAAAAA (rubbing hands gleefully)

12. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes indeed.
    Like expensive zoning helps my rents.

OTOH...since you are consumer of these materials tarrifs will hurt you.
    Higher costs, demand can't handle it.
    Foreign competition that doesn't pay the tarrifs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that is, owners of steel and aluminum producers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    that is, owners of steel and aluminum producers
    The stockholders...but also the LME