Aluminum prices through the roof? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    it's the principle alright when you get a subpoena for throwing hazardous materials in the trash. The Principal is the guy who's office you used to get sent to.
    Steel is a hazardous material in California now? Color me not surprised.

2. Likes as9100d, SND, millNchill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Got a whole $0.05/lb(.035USD/lb) for 17-4 turnings today.
    Apparently scrap prices usually go down this time of year due to holidays and mills shutting down/maintenance, so I'll check a few more prices next week but I think I'll hold into the fancier stuff until spring time.

Have you gotten real loonies for 17-4 in the past?
    My Dec 19 cheat sheet shows $.06 USF for 17-4 chips right now.

Pretty sure that stuff is always low - unless possibly you have 20 tonne at one time and co-ordinate with a mill when they want to run that particular grade.

I have found that the lower the volume, the higher alloy, the higher the loonie - materials, the lower the scrap value - doo to the fact that you can't make 1018 out of 4140 chips. Same goes for other grades....

No matter how you slice it - now is NOT the time to be taking things to the scrap yard!
    Prices are only just over 1/2 what I would call [today's] "normal" and only 40% of "good".

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

4. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was usually $.10(cad), which is still hardly worth it but maybe I was lucky to get that then. Last time I took some AL in it was down too but that's a couple months ago now.

Raw material has gone down a bit, I mainly use 316 and it seems back to what I paid for it 4-5years ago. Last couple Al sheets were still up there though.

Thinking about scrap, do you guys get anything for Titanium turnings/millings at all? I don't do much but only ever got 5-10 cents/pound for that too, usually pure gr2. Maybe its just a pain to reprocess and worth nothing?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Steel is a hazardous material in California now? Color me not surprised.
    I think Larry was exaggerating but still, your granmas din't live through the depression if you throw stuff away. I give mine to the scrappies, they take my good barrels and bring back dented beat up ones but oh well, the scrap gets recycled and they get a bottle of Ripple and all's well that ends well.

7. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I think Larry was exaggerating but still, your granmas din't live through the depression if you throw stuff away. I give mine to the scrappies, they take my good barrels and bring back dented beat up ones but oh well, the scrap gets recycled and they get a bottle of Ripple and all's well that ends well.
    Shop across the street got their dumpsters red tagged for having steel in them. They'll need to cover it up with some cardboard next time

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shop across the street got their dumpsters red tagged for having steel in them. They'll need to cover it up with some cardboard next time
    Sorry, you'll have to explain that, what is a red tagged dumpster? I've never heard of that before.

10. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tagged by whom ? I discovered once (don't ask how, it's embarrassing, but the scream of the garbage truck hydraulics was a hint) that the garbage collectors don't allow steel in the dumpsters. Also California, but northern. Pretty sure it's actually for weight reasons because the dump doesn't care about steel or steel chips.

Grinding swarf I believe is classified as hazardous, but that's a little different. And even heavier ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Sorry, you'll have to explain that, what is a red tagged dumpster? I've never heard of that before.
    if the trash man sees any illegal items in the dumpster, they tape a red tag on it and they leave it. I believe they're also required to notify the Sheriffs department of an illegal dump. Depending on what it is, it may need to be cleaned up by a haz mat crew.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if the trash man sees any illegal items in the dumpster, they tape a red tag on it and they leave it. I believe they're also required to notify the Sheriffs department of an illegal dump. Depending on what it is, it may need to be cleaned up by a haz mat crew.
    Aluminum prices through the roof? California is a joke.

Guess what I can put in my dumpers.....anything except wet concrete.

Tires, shingles, metal, old computers, all acceptable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you can take a dump in the street, but steel chips aren't allowed in the trash? What will they do next in Cali, outlaw trash?

15. Likes as9100d, Alloy Mcgraw, millNchill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    So you can take a dump in the street, but steel chips aren't allowed in the trash? What will they do next in Cali, outlaw trash?
    don't say that too loud. If they ever elect Ed Begley Jr. as governor that's exactly what would happen.

And yes, It's OK for homeless drug attics to shit on the sidewalk, but if your dog shits in the grass you'll get a ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

don't say that too loud. If they ever elect Ed Begley Jr. as governor that's exactly what would happen.

And yes, It's OK for homeless drug attics to shit on the sidewalk, but if your dog shits in the grass you'll get a ticket.
    I hope I am far enough away to avoid the fallout when that state implodes.

18. Likes as9100d, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if your dog shits in the grass you'll get a ticket.
    Washington is worse. Seattle has more air-head do-gooders than San Francisco now.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Guess what I can put in my dumpers.....anything except wet concrete.

Tires, shingles, metal, old computers, all acceptable.
    Well, here's a little unsolicited advice. If you get a job that makes a lot of #6 chips, like several thousand pounds, putting them into the dumpster can be a problem ... usually the Mexicans driving the truck don't give up and the result is impressive.

I don't know what happens if you break the garbage truck and don't want to find out

p.s. You put tires in the dumpster ? Totally a no-no. That's irresponsible on your part. This is where goofballdom gets its start, people doing things they really shouldn't. And then it snowballs

21. Likes jaguar36 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Well, here's a little unsolicited advice. If you get a job that makes a lot of #6 chips, like several thousand pounds, putting them into the dumpster can be a problem ... usually the Mexicans driving the truck don't give up and the result is impressive.

I don't know what happens if you break the garbage truck and don't want to find out

p.s. You put tires in the dumpster ? Totally a no-no. That's irresponsible on your part. This is where goofballdom gets its start, people doing things they really shouldn't. And then it snowballs
    Ya I work and live hours from "cities" that's just the way things are done here. Typically tires are burnt, id rather throw them away than burn them....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can cut up to 1 1/4" aluminum plate with a worm drive skillsaw and a red blade made by Diablo (1/16 kirf), I duct taped cardboard side covers on the sides so it doesn't throw chips at me and spray a bit of WD-40 along where I am going to cut. Thinner pieces I stack up to about an inch, ie 3 pcs of 3/8 or 2 pcs of 1/2. I typically clamp a piece of 3/4 x 2 for a guide. If the surface is critical I leave a piece of cardboard on top to prevent scratches.

PS, I was in San Francisco to buy a scissor lift Sunday from a guy that buys and bales bottles and cans. He drove the lift about 1/4 mile through a flea market full of folks selling what appeared to be garbage to each other, I was watching his gate so some of the fine "citizens" wouldn't invade his yard or take his stuff. A 60? something gal walked away from her booth over to a "K" rail between the flea market and 4 lane road we were near, lifted her dress and took a dump, I have of such things but until one sees it for himself, the words have no meaning.
    Last edited by kustomizer; 12-18-2019 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added PS

24. Likes Ox, as9100d, SND liked this post