What's new
What's new

Am i being ridiculous?

Yes, your post title does not fit the material..

You get paid by the hour..you should feel over worked because that is why they call it work.

Sitting on a nice beach you would not get paid.

P.S. making $34 an hour you are doing better than many guys who work just as hard and some harder than you.

Work on Training up the other two that are showing some ability. It can be difficult to not push them out of the way and take over on a setup, especially when you are in a hurry. But it is important to start walking them through the more difficult setups and help them understand. If you are able to get even 10% more out of them, It will take some load off of you. If you work with them enough and things start clicking for them, then they will become more productive and allow you to do more of what you want to do.

Yup, clueless title, can't read, comprehend and follow the rules.

Just a ranting diatribe.

I think it would be hard to find something in your pay range that has less responsibility. $34/hr comes with those responsibilities.
What is it that you have a problem with?

Hey everybody i need a little feedback. So here is a little info about myself, I am in my 30's, live and work in the seattle area and have been machinist for about 12 years mostly aerospace. At my current job i am responsible for programming six lathes, 4 of the lathes have live tooling with y axis and sub-spindles, the other 2 lathes are just 2 axis. I am in charge of the other 5 lathe "machinists", two of which can kind of do there own set-ups and the other 3 are completely clueless and can hardly push the green button. I still have to run and set-up any slightly difficult jobs, I am constantly re-working other peoples parts, i can't even get help with de-burring. Anyways i feel completely over worked and don't really blame the owner because its impossible to find a decent machinist much less a good one, but i am about at my wits end and want to find a job with less responsibility. Am i being ridiculous?

P.S. i make $34 an hour

Last things first. Yes, you are being ridiculous.

- No one needs guidance to find "less responsibility". Just quit and learn to like s**ting on the sidewalk.

- "Finding" good machinists SHOULD be impossible. They have better situations, already - hired-gun, or shops of their own. What one does is "find" decent candidates, then develop good machinists.

- IF you are not able nor comfortable with being one of the "change agents" that creates a better situation for yourself and your team out of a marginal situation? You are already overpaid. A leaner and hungrier person even with less skill or experience, but better vision as to what is possible will eventually bypass you.

No fear. We cannot all be Emperor of All Under Heaven.

Nothing wrong with having a next-higher who is as good or better at THEIR job as you are at yours.

That you are whining HERE says very clearly you do not have it - or do not understand that you have it - NOW.

Find that person or firm-of. Stick to what you do best. Add those strengths to their strengths. You will both be happier, if not also more prosperous.

$34/hr - AKA over $70,000/yr without any overtime, is good money, 2019. Being never higher than "numbah two" if even that high-up, but always in the service of BETTER folks, it was even better money dawn of the 1990's. Comparable to $60/hr today.

Work harder on the future, today gets easier.

Main thing I did was to just keep hiring myself more capable and proven-successful bosses. Then help them improve their game.

Whomever said that was a one-sided equation wasn't paying attention to history. We need each other.

RE:
The typical Boeing Machinist salary is $32. Machinist salaries at Boeing can range from $14 - $48.
So $32 is good IMHO.

I bid about $70 per hour with an old clunker Cinci chain way #2 likely a 1938 -39 (think my model started in 1933)or so machine..but don't get or want much work... and UPS takes a bite out of that.

One of these days I will check the number.
Cincinnati Milling & Grinding Machines Serial Numbers Index | Ozark Tool Manuals & Books

My quick take:

1) Wage sounds low-ish for the area and workload.

2) You should be looking for either a better working environment or more money.

3) Do you want to leave your current employer? See 1 and 2 and get moving.

My wife makes close to that or maybe more if you count all the health care and PTO benefits working in mental health. She loves her job and has a great 4/10 schedule. If you want less stress get the fuck out of manufacturing.

Personally, I'd rather be running have a shit paying job in a 100 degree shop than deal with the fucking deadbeats of our society all day everyday, but that's me. I know there is no way I could say "No please don't kill yourself" without laughing.

My wife makes close to that or maybe more if you count all the health care and PTO benefits working in mental health. She loves her job and has a great 4/10 schedule. If you want less stress get the fuck out of manufacturing.

Personally, I'd rather be running have a shit paying job in a 100 degree shop than deal with the fucking deadbeats of our society all day everyday, but that's me. I know there is no way I could say "No please don't kill yourself" without laughing.
Fucking awesome. Ten years ago I had no work coming in at all, absolutely shit. I told myself I would rather work for ten dollars an hour by myself than have to suck cock. 2019 still here and no cocks have entered my mouth.

Fucking awesome. Ten years ago I had no work coming in at all, absolutely shit. I told myself I would rather work for ten dollars an hour by myself than have to suck cock. 2019 still here and no cocks have entered my mouth.

sounds to me like your still taking it up the ass though ;)

Sorry you are getting picked on but a lot of guys have had it worse than that to make a buck.
Cleaning out the Blanchard's sump when they were really stinky and scrubbing the can when I was at my first job.
My dad as an elevator mechanic had to work in pits full of garbage, rats and what ever.
I Have known machine repair men who worked under machining lines fill of garbage and piss the guys made on the sly.
So complaining about work load often gets one in trouble here.

QT: [i am about at my wits end and want to find a job with less responsibility.]

That is a reasonable request. You sound like a guy who knows his stuff. Good lick with your quest.

If you want to make that kind of money without responsibility or having to do an honest days work move south to California and get a lower level job working for the state. I used to live there and knew a good amount of state employees, my own father was one. All of them bragged about how little work they had to do while complaining about how inept their co workers were.

At least in Oregon that 100 degree heat is dry heat, here it comes with humidity attached.

Back