What's new
What's new

Any Job Shop Consultants Here?

ShopPlanner

Aluminum
If there are any consultants here who worked with a variety of job shops, I would like to get in touch with them for professional development. I request them to send me a personal message, if interested in the contact.

I am interested to know more about job shop business management in general. I am also interested in management of high-mix, low-volume production.

Since you are came to a forum for your info why is not OK for you to have questions answered here? That is what forums are about, if you want to talk to someone in private open the yellow pages.
Maybe you need a new title/thread:I am having trouble with ________ who can suggest a consultant to help me with ________?

Not sure that a "job shop consultant" will be your best avenue to professional development. For the business aspects, maybe some local college courses? For the mix aspects, there are several good books and seminars.

Most consultants want to specialize in businesses where a bit of insight can have tremendous leverage on their clients' business. Probably the worst fields to be in would be with small shops (only a few employees to leverage that knowledge), low upside (little of their own IP - just messing with other people's stuff), with a high volume but most everything a bit different, with some economic tides and competitive alternatives running against them, who might currently be struggling to stay pay their bills.

To put it another way, that description kind of fits a small dry cleaning business as well as other "shops" that might have come to mind. Now there are probably decent trade associations, forums, etc. on how to run a profitable dry cleaning business -- but maybe not the very smartest or most honorable consultants hoping to make a living off of you?

I'm sure there are exceptions -- likely among PM ranks who specialize in certain aspects. But I'd broaden my search for contacts, courses, books, interest groups, etc. Many towns also have something like a president's association, small business forums, etc. where you can make friends and swap idea with other business owners -- sometimes the most creative solutions come from someone with a slightly different perspective.

PM might also have a dozen Texas-based job shop owners who'd be interested in meeting up every now and then?

Manufacturing consultants have been promoting various production management methodologies like lean manufacturing, theory of constraints, quick response manufacturing, CONWIP, MRP, etc in industries. If I could get in touch with such consultants working with job shops, I believe I can privately interact with them more freely than on a forum with a specific question. The direct, private interaction will remove the fear of getting harsh, open replies from others when my question is somewhat foolish, vague or misunderstood. For example, somebody felt that I started this thread to spam a forum. Private communication among professionals will not cause any spam on forums.

High mix, low volume job shop owners are going to be very difficult to deal with. They are already good at production management, or they are out of business quickly. Most have heard how some whiz bang system will make things run faster, smoother, etc. The reality is, most of the time, it is a bunch of paperwork or documentation that just eats resources and isn't billable to a customer. Finding a significant number of job shop consultants that deal with high mix, low volume shops? Good luck. I don't know of any. Tool reps may be as close as you can get.

If I could get in touch with such consultants working with job shops, I believe I can privately interact with them more freely than on a forum with a specific question. The direct, private interaction will remove the fear of getting harsh, open replies from others when my question is somewhat foolish, vague or misunderstood. For example, somebody felt that I started this thread to spam a forum. Private communication among professionals will not cause any spam on forums.

My advise - Just throw down a specific, relevant question HERE in this forum section, and ask for help. You've already found the right corner of the internet to ask such questions, so just make use of it.

Why don't you start by telling us about what you do, and what kind of professional development you'd like help with.

Like others have said, if you're looking for a consultant to help with high-mix, low volume production in a small machine shop environment, you're going to have a short list. My gut tells me that consultants are really going to go after larger customers, who can pay larger fees. So a small machine shop isn't their ideal client.

If there's a specific question/area where you're looking for help, just post it here. If it's scheduling, programming, fixturing, billing, quoting, etc, I'm sure there's already been lots written here, and still plenty of fresh ideas to trade.

Back