Anyone getting busier right now? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anyone getting busier right now?

Mostly mining-related here at the Cathouse, and we’ve been steady as usual.

Although, with word that many of the large coal company’s will be shuttering mines for two-to-four weeks, we expect to see a dip in orders for a while.

I believe once all this is behind us (as well as it can be), that the US economy will take off like a rocket.

After all, the money that was in the system before is still there, and the Feds are busy adding trillions more!

All this money will get spent, and spent hard at some point....

ToolCat

2. Likes DanASM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... and the pay-back can gets kicked further on down the road.... into oblivion...

------------------

Early evening _ April 4, a shot rings out in the Memphis sky
    Ox

4. Likes bryan_machine, DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Full steam ahead here.........................I expect it to drop off though................off road racing stuff will prolly take a dip for a while.........but who knows? High end gun market..........same as always, steady.

I gotta chew through this with more layin outside in the next week or two or three......................................

img_0324.jpg

6. Likes Garwood, DanASM, jmp, SND, wheelieking71 and 1 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got an email from Haas the other day with the usual discounts and no payments for 6 months. I am not looking to make payments on anything but that is pretty far out. I can see new investments stopping for a while causing them to have to scale back a bit.

Or they keep making them and say fuck it pay us when you can. Weve got the machines here collecting dust, might as well run them somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

still at the shop 7 days a week hammering out the chore list as work slows down. gun parts and sanitation jobs are keeping the lights on. one of our divisions went from 6 months backlog to a dead hault. anyone who has all their eggs in the wrong basket is probably treading on ice.

buddy of mine went from 70 hrs/week to nothing and his employer shut the doors til further notice.

we'll see how rocky the boat gets here over the next month going to be interesting. like others have stated we've got work just little worried about getting paid for that work in a timely manner.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hesitate to post, because I feel bad for the people doing poorly through no fault of their and no one likes hearing someone else gloat when they're suffering. To answer your question, last year was our best year ever, with customers asking us to take more and more. ( we've still not moved ) This year is outpacing last year. I'm starting to worry about keeping up. If we could find our building, we could add a machining center, a turning center, a few gear machines, and keep them all busy, still. ( likely more than that ) It has been positively nuts. We have put the word out that we're willing to assist in efforts with COVID-19 related development efforts, and have been contacted by a few groups whom we're looking forward to working with.

10. Likes wheelieking71, dodgin, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am working on the last two jobs in the backlog and don't have anything solid in the pipeline. I was swamped up until 14 days ago. I was also on track for my best year ever, from the Jan 1 to Mar 15 I had already made 70% of last years income. I was thankfully still keeping expenses as low as possible and I paid off my machine in Feb, so only bills are utilities, insurance and prop tax. I think as long as this doesn't go on for more than 6-12 months I'll be OK, not happy, but still here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DanASM View Post
    This is nothing like what happened in 2009. I havent even changed my daily routine one bit.
    GREAT thread! Been checkin' it regularly. Thanks for starting it.

Y'all are doing even the most inactive of retirees a service with straight-up and reliable facts, wise and experienced observations we can't easily GET anywhere else.

So far, the wisest, sanest, "no drama" USEFUL'est thread running on PM, bar none!

Carry-on! Please!

13. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Y'all are doing even the most inactive of retirees a service with straight-up and reliable facts, wise and experienced observations we can't easily GET anywhere else.

So far, the wisest, sanest, "no drama" USEFUL'est thread running on PM, bar none!

Carry-on! Please!
    I am amazed at how certain parts of the country are more heavily into certain industries and can have major swings when said industries slow down. I understand if you havent been through tough enough times to understand diversifying your business to weather the future storms.

Most people with CNC machines can more easily switch over to run parts for different industries. I have heard of companies in Louisiana, Texas not wanting to do oil industry work due to the prospect of not getting paid, or getting paid way late. I see this playing out down there right now (ouch).

Automotive in the Detroit area can slow down as the industry slows down/re tools. Maybe figure out how to utilize your machines when these inevitable situations happen?

Washington State- Boeing, Microsoft. Lot of knowledge, lot of talent. What happens when Aerospace slows down? 737 MAX? more repair work or less new orders? How to adapt if your a support shop in the area? Diversify?

California- Lots of talent, Good infrastructure, extremely high cost to do business and live. What happens when the high dollar products made there are no longer in demand? How do you adapt?

Here in New England we started the industrial revolution. Mills on every river in the area. Outside of Boston there is a ton of medical and electronics assembly. Tool companies all over, Aftermarket Auto companies all over. Aerospace all over.
    We can be a little spoiled here sometimes as towns are every 2 miles. Its not spaced out like other parts of the country. We are stacked on top of each other out here yet so close to the woods as well. Drive an hour and a half or 2 in any direction and your away from the population.

If anyone is having troubled times look to this thread as a learning experience as to how to make your company more solvent. I like hearing about the ones who have no debt and were just waiting for another situation like this so they can weather the storm and come out better, stronger, more confident companies for the future.

Now the country is seeing how our supply chain works and how it is heavily reliant on China. Now is the time to talk about bringing the rest of it back here. It can be done, we can make anything.

Stay Strong People. Remember I am Proud Of All Of You!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well said. But there are some realities that must be kept in mind. If, for illustration, oil work is 20% of the demand for machined parts, then per force 20% of the machined parts workflow will be oil work.

As firms grow, their ability to grow faster than their market, or the economy as a whole, becomes limited. (If you have 100% of the market for wheel hubs, you cannot grow faster than the market for cars....)

Which means if you aren't all that diversified in your customer list, don't take it as a personal failing. Just diversify as best you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Busy as we have ever been. Our current customers have been swamping us with new work to quote.

I'm glad I haven't had to deal with someone sending work to me because their normal shop isn't considered essential. I would have a real problem with taking work from a show that has been shuttered by the Govt.

I have some renovation plans being put on hold which throws a wrench into our 6 month plans but other than that is business as usual.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yoke View Post
    Busy as we have ever been. Our current customers have been swamping us with new work to quote.

I'm glad I haven't had to deal with someone sending work to me because their normal shop isn't considered essential. I would have a real problem with taking work from a show that has been shuttered by the Govt.

I have some renovation plans being put on hold which throws a wrench into our 6 month plans but other than that is business as usual.
    I usually ask new customers if the work I am bidding on is being done by someone else. I do not like taking work from someone just cause my price is a few cents cheaper. It tells a lot about the purchasing agent and how they do business. Who is to say they wont do it to me at a later date. I always look for the jobs they are having problems with and try to make things easier for them. This is a better approach I have found to work for me. Then eventually people retire or die off and the gravy jobs have to go to someone. Thats where I come in.

The market conditions were great for more innovation before the virus. I am sure projects are still ongoing despite this.

At Least you have all summer to get to your renovation plans. Lets hope you can get it done before it gets cold again.

18. Likes Ox, neilho liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We've got DoD coming out of our ears.

Not much new automotive, but a ton of our cast work from China that was frozen from early in the year is starting to pile up now.

Tens during the week but they cancelled Saturdays probably until everything blows over. A bunch of floor guys took voluntary layoff after the stay home, stay safe "order" was issued a couple weeks ago...that makes us seem even busier than we already are.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Carry-on! Please!
    A lot more sane and useful than some of the other COVID threads.
    Seems most people get their satisfaction in life from kicking the POTUS, Congress, CDC, WHO, etc., etc.
    They must be on a real high from all of that going on right now.
    More than one has earned a spot on my ignore list.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    A lot more sane and useful than some of the other COVID threads.
    Now yah did it.........................you said the trigger word.................lotsa of TDS..................all those jack bags will over here in no time ruining this thread too......................

22. Likes moonlight machine, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is TDS?

L7

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    What is TDS?

L7
    Don't even ask.

If yah had it, you'd deny it.

If yah have to ask yah DON'T have it.

Enjoy that happy state, make chips, make plans for a better day, do it again faster and better!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Busy as ever over here in Denver

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Now yah did it.........................you said the trigger word.................lotsa of TDS..................all those jack bags will over here in no time ruining this thread too......................
    The word virus referring to Covid was used twice in post number one of this thread.

FWIW - Nearly 100% brakes on here. Can't wait till this is over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Customer just called and said after 2 weeks of uncertainty, back to full throttle and then some. Roads and bridges are essential work, therefore everybody that supplies them and all that equipment is running.

28. Likes DanASM, bryan_machine liked this post