Anyone getting busier right now? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Fab shops in the Portland, OR area seem to be quite busy. I've been trying to get laser-cut parts for my customer (I'm helping them with a process for making masks) and it's been a real struggle to get anything faster than about 3 days. Some shops are out two weeks.

One of the worst things is that they create fixed nests so far in advance (and stage them in some kind of order) that they can't add-in a few parts. It's kind of like a restaurant making you order your meal a week in advance when it only takes 10 minutes to cook. With all the technology and speed available for nesting, it would be nice if they created nests just an hour in advance so they could drop in a few parts here and there.

The Dude
    I think they're feeding you a line of BS.

The newest, fanciest Amada laser in the Portland area is about 500 yards from my shop. They are buried in work for it, but if I ask nicely I can get my parts next day.

Who have you been dealing with?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a few customers tell me this week things are steadily increasing for them throughout all this. They gave me blanket orders for the next year for a few parts. They said their customer placed a years order in advance. They must feel good about things. It seems like I get to negotiate a bunch with material suppliers. Too much fluctuation in some markets to hold prices. Looks like better to quote Time + Material on these types of jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are a Machine Shop serving the Gulf Coast area, specializing in new construction and
    repair in the Marine Industry.

Our workload has not changed. Every time I enter a shipyard, I get hit with a temperature reader. Aside from that, it’s business as usual

4. Likes bryan_machine, DanASM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How are things looking for everyone now, still balls out or is reality starting to show itself?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't know if we are getting busier, but the owner bought a 2017 Aston Martin...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty slow for me. Scraped together enough oddball work to have a decent May. Maybe the company that I did some work for awhile ago, that makes non-lethal launchers, will be back in touch .

Regards.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Don't know if we are getting busier, but the owner bought a 2017 Aston Martin...
    And that's you, right?

April was dead for us, May was better, and it looks like June will be good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    And that's you, right?

April was dead for us, May was better, and it looks like June will be good.
    LMAO. Ya I wish....

10. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm still as busy as ever. My biggest customer keeps asking if there's anything I can do to to get them parts faster. (They don't trust any other shops around to make these parts to their specs.)

But things are different right now. Typically this customer is about 40% of my work. Right now, they are about 80% of my work. I'm glad to be busy, but I would rather not have all of my eggs in one basket. And I'm not sure what I will do if my other customers get busy. I'm not complaining though.

12. Likes DanASM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got a blanket order yesterday for a repeat job that I have done a few times already. Nothing special but things seem to be re opening up in areas where they were shut down. I would be curious to see how soon new orders will start coming in.

I just finished up what I had under contract from before covid. It isnt all due yet and cant ship all of it out but I just about caught up so I could do some more work at the house.

I am going to contact all my customers and let them know I have some machine time open and see what sticks. Some of the higher ups are still working remotely so I can see things not getting done cause the decision makers arent around to push them to do it.

I am curious where the rest of you stand now as well. I guess Automotive will be back shortly. When will people start flying again? Cheap flights could end up filling seats quickly. More planes flying means more repairs and maint.

I wish everyone the best in these times. I do believe firearms sales will be up quite a bit now also.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    David Brown... Grandfather of the worlds fastest tractors.. with a second, right, seat..
    ...for the CFII.

15. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think that David Brown's were the fastest tractors by any stretch. (talking old skewl here too as the new stuff seems to roll down the hwy a whole lot faster these days!) My remembery is terrible for names, and thus I forget the name of the tractor that was the fastest....

As for flights, It was interesting coming up the drive yesterday morning as the sky was clear (notable) and for whatever reason - con trails were standing out like a sore thumb all day yesterday. I counted three in the east sky from the truck, and seen a cpl more later in the day. So - seems like they are getting a few more in the sky now?

My nephew is working towards air traffic control job at big airport and said that flights were down 80% or more?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I don't think that David Brown's were the fastest tractors by any stretch. (talking old skewl here too as the new stuff seems to roll down the hwy a whole lot faster these days!) My remembery is terrible for names, and thus I forget the name of the tractor that was the fastest....

As for flights, It was interesting coming up the drive yesterday morning as the sky was clear (notable) and for whatever reason - con trails were standing out like a sore thumb all day yesterday. I counted three in the east sky from the truck, and seen a cpl more later in the day. So - seems like they are getting a few more in the sky now?

My nephew is working towards air traffic control job at big airport and said that flights were down 80% or more?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    You're not very far from Toledo airport, are you?

Ya see jets on approach?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not many go out of Toledo these days since the cargo shipper pulled out several years ago.
    One member here flew cargo's out of there regularly actually.

Naw, the ones that I seen yesterday were way too high to be lookin' at Toledo.

But - no. I'm far enough away (40 miles) that I rarely get low planes over here, and it's not like they need to go into a holding pattern for Toledo. LOL!
    BUT there was one day that a jet was so low that I could see people inside.
    I was expecting to see a smoke plume in the east within a minute or two, but never happened.
    That guy was WAY low!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Wasn't it the mini mo comfort tractor?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Different class of "tractor". As with Ettore Bugatti accusing W. O. Bentley of making the world's strongest and fastest "trucks"... as racing cars!

David Brown made his money on production of agricultural and construction machinery.

He then spent it on setting-up Aston-Martin motorcars.

Hence the "DB" in their model names for so many years. And they HAVE tended to be heavy buggers for their size and passenger capacity. Offset, of course, with powerful motors. Now and then even decent suspension. Or even brakes. Not that the average DB driver much bothers to USE such an "accessory". Meant for going, not for stopping, Aston-Martins are.

Cross-trained on it whilst in New York ADS, NORAD. One of many trained-up for that. NORAD take it over if/as/when DEFCON calls for it. That's why Reagan was able to fill seats when it got gnarly with the strikers.

If you / he haven't had the pleasure, see a movie called "Pushing Tin".

It's seriously intense work, and they did a right decent job of portraying it!

Prolly the closest Angelina Jolie has ever come to playing her own natural self on-screen, too! Cudda done without that part, actually...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Silver King.
    Not sure if I ever drove one of those or not, but prolly at some point...

Just low on RAM and takes time to load...

silver king tractor road speed - Google Search

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I was expecting to see a smoke plume in the east within a minute or two, but never happened.
    That guy was WAY low!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    This guy ….
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails garylarson-mountaingoat.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    ...That's why Reagan was able to fill seats when it got gnarly with the strikers.
    My brother filled one of those seats. He was working in a radio station prior. Retired a couple years ago with a nice pension.

He was a supervisor on 9/11, got pulled out to fly E-3 orbits off the left coast.

Ox's nephew has the right idea. With a little seniority, air traffic controllers make more than US Senators.

Hard job to learn, easy job to do...
    Last edited by jancollc; 06-03-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not many go out of Toledo these days since the cargo shipper pulled out several years ago.
    One member here flew cargo's out of there regularly actually.

Naw, the ones that I seen yesterday were way too high to be lookin' at Toledo.

But - no. I'm far enough away (40 miles) that I rarely get low planes over here, and it's not like they need to go into a holding pattern for Toledo. LOL!
    That guy was WAY low!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Must be BAX you're talking about. I thought they restructured or got bought out and and then reopened?

I used to live in your neck of the woods (outside of Delta), and cargo planes were never much of a bother. The National Guard F-16s on the other hand, would fly low, directly over head. At like 4 in the morning