Anyone willing to explain steps to government work? Need to expand buyer list
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    135

    Default Anyone willing to explain steps to government work? Need to expand buyer list

    Today we discussed the facts that as we look to grow, our buyer list needs to get bigger. We have AS cert and an approved vendor for a couple OEMs. Biggest ones last time we checked said "nah, we good". I would like to at least investigate the red tape of government work. Though many have said "oh, it is too much work", those are the same people DOING government work! I get it, just another hand in the jar, but we are really not big enough to cause serious harm here.

    We are primarily in aviation work. We had some promising stuff in oil just before that went flop. Our equipment really is not big enough for serious industrial work. To be right honest, everyone we know somehow obtains contracts THEN buys machines. Not one time have I been able to pull that. Usually they want to know "what you have" and only want to send work along those lines. In short, blocking growth, and I am not willing to drop huge machines without any assurance they will work.

    All this while I, as well as many here, still question what we are doing in manufacturing!!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    55
    Likes (Received)
    44

    Default

    I may not be an expert on the red tape side of things, I did work for a company who's biggest customer was the govt. There is a few documents for specs that they make the shop abide by, security issues, etc. I would have to think if the long term work, which can be a lot to nothing, is worth going through all the loops a company is expected to go through.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What government are we talking about here ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    135

    Default

    Likely DOD but I'd like to look at other sectors too. But I think some of that stuff is like welded assembly type work that we don't do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Posts
    1,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    268
    Likes (Received)
    646

    Default

    Talk to your local PTAC. They're DoD-funded (i.e. free to you) and their entire job is to help small businesses with government contracting. They'll help you get set up with SAM, JCP, etc.. Mine has a service where I get an email every day with anything that matches the keywords I give them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huleo View Post
    Likely DOD but I'd like to look at other sectors too. But I think some of that stuff is like welded assembly type work that we don't do.
    I was asking which country.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    235
    Likes (Received)
    316

    Default

    We have appox 30% DOD stuff. Mostly small stuff that we can do in house.

    Lots of secondary opps and clerical crap.

    We've discovered that IF you are going to do this type of work, the help can be trained pretty quickly to do the mundane shit, like the paperwork. And they don't need no stinkin' degrees.....got it?

    But be sure to READ the dwgs and figure in ALL the costs.......They really add up. Especially the "full traceability" thingy. also pay close attention to any source country requirements. They can also be a deal breaker.

    The folks we work with do the tier based system with three tiers of suppliers. We have yet to move up from the bottom, but it's coming soon, we believe.

    When it does happen, start buyin' shit and hiring......you'll need it.

    The hiring thingy is our bugaboo right now.

    Good luck and go for it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    new plymouth id
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    162

    Default

    Just remember the paperwork is more important than the product, the paperwork is seen immediately, the product may never get used. If the boxes are checked it’s good. Doesn’t make sense, but federal work requires,in my trade, about 1 hour of paper work per 6 man hours of labor so don’t forget to price that in

  9. Likes Bobw liked this post
  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ga,usa
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    71

    Default

    Make your wife a co owner. Ladies and minorities get preference.

  11. Likes SteelrFn liked this post
  12. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alberta canada
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwelo62 View Post
    Make your wife a co owner. Ladies and minorities get preference.
    I kept telling my wife that.
    Women under 30. Status Indian.
    (Gonna miss out on the under 30 soon tho)

    I need me some white man late 30 government grant money!

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    130
    Likes (Received)
    355

    Default

    I could use some of that green as well.

    Is my understanding correct that if you are a direct DoD supplier then you will likely need security clearance? The workaround locally anyway is that if you are subcontracting for a shop that does DoD work then you don't need clearances and no one gives a shit if you smoke reefer all day.

    Try to get hired at a DoD shop and you'll need clean pee and they do random tests as well, per the rules of being a federal supplier

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Posts
    1,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    268
    Likes (Received)
    646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post
    Is my understanding correct that if you are a direct DoD supplier then you will likely need security clearance?
    Not for most work

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3919
    Likes (Received)
    4605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwelo62 View Post
    Make your wife a co owner. Ladies and minorities get preference.

    state sponsored racism at its finest. Sorry Ox, couldn't resist, I just hate that shit.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huleo View Post
    Today we discussed the facts that as we look to grow, our buyer list needs to get bigger. We have AS cert and an approved vendor for a couple OEMs. Biggest ones last time we checked said "nah, we good". I would like to at least investigate the red tape of government work. Though many have said "oh, it is too much work", those are the same people DOING government work! I get it, just another hand in the jar, but we are really not big enough to cause serious harm here.

    We are primarily in aviation work. We had some promising stuff in oil just before that went flop. Our equipment really is not big enough for serious industrial work. To be right honest, everyone we know somehow obtains contracts THEN buys machines. Not one time have I been able to pull that. Usually they want to know "what you have" and only want to send work along those lines. In short, blocking growth, and I am not willing to drop huge machines without any assurance they will work.

    All this while I, as well as many here, still question what we are doing in manufacturing!!!!
    I'm a hobby machinist now but in my past life spent quite a bit of time working for DoD contractors. The main thing any potential supplier needs to do is to put in place a QA program that allows that supplier to comply with the QA requirements in any requests for proposal. In many cases that will be the appropriate ISO standard(s). I know this is not interesting and is easy to dismiss as useless paperwork. However, what you need to realize is that DoD work is first and foremost performed in a systematic way according to written processes. The QA program is your tool for navigating and complying with these processes.

  17. Likes Bobw liked this post
  18. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marka12161 View Post
    I'm a hobby machinist now but in my past life spent quite a bit of time working for DoD contractors. The main thing any potential supplier needs to do is to put in place a QA program that allows that supplier to comply with the QA requirements in any requests for proposal. In many cases that will be the appropriate ISO standard(s). I know this is not interesting and is easy to dismiss as useless paperwork. However, what you need to realize is that DoD work is first and foremost performed in a systematic way according to written processes. The QA program is your tool for navigating and complying with these processes.
    Uh, I think I mentioned something about an AS cert in my first post. That sort of maybe might cover QA.

  19. Likes rb07565 liked this post
  20. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    52

    Default

    That alone should open up more opportunities for you. Some of the jobs don't require It. But many have a higher level QA requirement.

    Check to see If you're in a Hub zone. That will open more opportunities up to you.

    Pay close attention to the packaging Mil-Std contract requirement. I found some of the stuff they require a little hard to find and I spent allot of time hunting and figuring out the packaging requirement side of things. Making the parts was the easy part. For Instance, the parts had to be dipped in a certain fireproof hydraulic fluid. Wrapped in a specific grease proof paper, Individually boxed with a certain amount of a certain closed cell foam around all sides of the part. All the boxes labeled individually. All in the Mil-Std.

    You will have to register with SAM. Get a JCP cert. which will allow you access to export controlled drawings.You'll have to do an NIST SP 800-171 assessment. You will need to sign up to Dibbs. And C-folders. When you actually get a contract you will have to sign up to the VSM to ship It. and the PIEE to bill it out. And I'm sure I missed something. To me all the passwords are a real PAIN! They mostly require a different password every 30 days. A little hard to keep up with. But that also depends on what resources (people) you have available to put to the task.

    You won't get signed up overnight. The JCP especially can take some time to get.

    And by the way YMMV, but I found the local PTAC here virtually useless and no help whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by huleo View Post
    Uh, I think I mentioned something about an AS cert in my first post. That sort of maybe might cover QA.

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huleo View Post
    Uh, I think I mentioned something about an AS cert in my first post. That sort of maybe might cover QA.
    Yup, sorry i missed it.

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    135

    Default

    Had a convo with local PTAC. Well not much of a convo as I can't even talk to a 'counselor' until I apply and then they approve or decline.... I asked about discussing if declined so it can be rectified or if we can apply again. No answers. Typical government stuff..... I am trying to understand what the requirements would be? Yrs in biz? Certain work you do? Do they even care? Surely they are not going to send DOD parts to just anything that fills out the paperwork? Or maybe 'not' being experienced in government work is an advantage? Trying to help newer suppliers? trying to understand this.

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4885
    Likes (Received)
    5182

    Default

    OT: (related)

    One of my stocks (stock market) is looking for a government salesperson(sell stuff to the government).

    If such a person is on PM private message me and I will tell the name of the (special computer manufacturer) outfit.

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    OT: (related)

    One of my stocks (stock market) is looking for a government salesperson(sell stuff to the government).

    If such a person is on PM private message me and I will tell the name of the (special computer manufacturer) outfit.
    get your own thread!!


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •