Close
Login to Your Account
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Screen Res:

I have it set currently to 1280 x 1024.
    I have a square'r style CRT, but it is bigger than that - making for awfully congested vis.

But if I click on any of the bigger "squarer" res's, the 'putor gives me a "not supported" error.

???

I have a TV screen yonder just for this - to see bigger prints on occassion, but I just don't have room for it with the current layout, so it's on my stereo 'putor for now. But that one is of the longer design.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Screen Res:

I have it set currently to 1280 x 1024.
    I have a square'r style CRT, but it is bigger than that - making for awfully congested vis.

But if I click on any of the bigger "squarer" res's, the 'putor gives me a "not supported" error.

???

I have a TV screen yonder just for this - to see bigger prints on occassion, but I just don't have room for it with the current layout, so it's on my stereo 'putor for now. But that one is of the longer design.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Monitors only support the resolutions they support. If you send it a resolution it doesn't support it will say something like that "Out of Range" or something similar.

Ideally you want you want to run a monitor at it's "Native Resolution" If you look up the model number you should be able to find the native resolution pretty easily.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is your opinion on the relative merits of Cat 6, Cat 6a, and Cat 7 cable?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Wo View Post
    What is your opinion on the relative merits of Cat 6, Cat 6a, and Cat 7 cable?
    For the most part cat5e is sufficient for anything.

Cat6 is nice because the wire gauge is thicker and thus has less resistance. This means useable distance is substantially increased. Of course, more copper, more money. I always use it for long runs because if you don't, the connectivity issues will show up sooner or later. If you have to run power over the lines cat6 is nice as well due to the wire gauge.

Cat7 is only useful if you need more than 1Gbps networking, which is very rare and a fiber link would likely be cheaper by the foot. I suppose it's place would be if you needed to upgrade a link beyond 1Gb and just want to pull similar wire. No benefit to be gained with sub 10Gbs transceivers/NICs

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by makezee View Post
    Well i would start with getting the facts from my own exploration rather then believing a word anyone else tells me.

What does IP Chicken - What is my IP address? Free public IP lookup. say your IP is?

What are the ports in question? Number and TCP or UDP?

Can you post a trace route from you to google?

Do you have an actual modem in house or is this an device up on the roof that feeds down into router of some sort?

If it is the latter, then you will need to contact your ISP to open ports. Its a pain, but if you can get an actual engineer at the ISP they will know exactly what you are talking about. They run some firewalling from there transmitter to your receiver and you are not in control of this. Beyond that you will need to open those ports in the router as well.

I recently went through this with another forum member that i set up a VPN server for. It wasn't a cakewalk but after an hour or so with an engineer from the ISP we got it all worked out.

If you do have a modem in your control, you can log into it to confirm your IP, and see that it matches IPchicken. If it does not, it is not the true public ip address, and not what you should be tying to DYN dns.

Based on what you are saying it is extremely likely that the port needs to be forwarded higher up the chain before anything you do will have any effect.
    Got to checking more last night and found I was wrong, I do not have a routable IP: my router gateway starts with 192.

So then I got to researching and thinking maybe setting up a VPN would work to bypass my ISP? So I set up an account with expressvpn (30 day trial), but it seems that doesn't really help me, because their VPN service only gets me out onto the internet, not from my camera, out to the internet and back, into my phone (as a viewer of the camera). Now I'm thinking I need to actually set up a computer within my LAN with a VPN server. But, am I still hooped because I still don't have a routable IP from my LAN to the WAN? I find it difficult to piece all this together from smidgeons of info from all over the place.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Got to checking more last night and found I was wrong, I do not have a routable IP: my router gateway starts with 192.

So then I got to researching and thinking maybe setting up a VPN would work to bypass my ISP? So I set up an account with expressvpn (30 day trial), but it seems that doesn't really help me, because their VPN service only gets me out onto the internet, not from my camera, out to the internet and back, into my phone (as a viewer of the camera). Now I'm thinking I need to actually set up a computer within my LAN with a VPN server. But, am I still hooped because I still don't have a routable IP from my LAN to the WAN? I find it difficult to piece all this together from smidgeons of info from all over the place.
    You are correct that your 192 address is not routable on the internet. What is happening is you are being NAT'd by the router. One side of your router is your internal network (LAN), and the other side should be a single routable public IP (WAN). In an ideal world that would be the address (WAN)you would set up with DYN dns, forward whatever ports you need to your camera and be good to go. That may very well be possible, but at the very least you will need admin access to the router.

What i mentioned before is the way that some of these wireless ISPs do things is that NAT you multiple times throughout there network (you any all other customers) and then it makes it out to the internet through their WAN ip. It could be the case, it could not be. Without seeing it i can't say for sure.

I would say task one is getting admin access on that router.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it difficult to piece all this together from smidgeons of info from all over the place.
    It isn't really as hard as all that. Time for a fresh start.

- First, find out what your fixed "public facing" IP actually IS.

That has nothing to do with any routers (two or more, quite commonly) under your own roof.

From any device INSIDE your own LAN/WiFi network, simply point your browser to:

TraceRT - Traceroute & Network Tools

... and select "what is my IP?"

It should, of course, match what your ISP told you it was when you paid extra FOR a fixed IP.

Let's get that sorted first.

The router config is dead-easy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post

That has nothing to do with any routers (two or more, quite commonly) under your own roof.

It should, of course, match what your ISP told you it was when you paid extra FOR a fixed IP.

Ill get back to you once we know more, but i thought the exact same thing. Believe it or not some wireless providers NAT/Firewall the hell out of the path to the client. The one i set up for a shop in the midwest ended up requiring a static route to the VPN server. easy enough once you have someone at the ISP that know what is going on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by makezee View Post
    Ill get back to you once we know more, but i thought the exact same thing. Believe it or not some wireless providers NAT/Firewall the hell out of the path to the client. The one i set up for a shop in the midwest ended up requiring a static route to the VPN server. easy enough once you have someone at the ISP that know what is going on.
    The ISP always did know what is going on. All the confusion is on the subscriber side.

All they need to do is put him back to a fixed IP and tell him what it is.
    Re-read his earlier post. He had one. Now he does not.

DynDNS and fellow-travelers? D'you have ANY idea how many Admins, globally, block every port, IP, and CIDR block that lot is discovered to have touched?

They didn't set out to be UCE/SPAM/Malware enablers. It just worked out that way. Look at what percentage of LinSucks script-kiddies, Win-Weenies, and fools at-large they have for customers. No help for it.

"Ounce of prevention", etc. is likely to see y'all playin' wit' yerselves 'til you fall asleep of exhaustion.

If a fixed IP is too dear? $130/month for me, here in Virginia, Comcast Business account.

The alternative that JF works is to rent space on a virtual server - which is cheaper - or pay for rackspace and run one you own in the metal - which is about the same, or more expensive, 'coz you just may ALSO still want internet access at the residence.

Relay your dynamic/mobile/wotever - content-not-tunnel to it by any viable means of access you have of a given moment. Server can care, or NOT care - your choice - what IP you attach from, so long as login parameters are satisfied. Matched certs, for example.

Provide access to your data-not-tunnel via the server's public side, and only to those you elect to allow that access to, be that one person, a family, a box of hardware, or some other subset of the planet.

Generally cheaper than a fixed IP of your own.

Someone else maintains the box as part of the fee. Levels of backup, if any, are optional.

No need of wannabee script-kiddies pomp-ossificatious dicking around with "let's pretend we understand networking".

This is not a near-real-time VPN.

If you have a LIFE, you cannot stay eyeballs-glued to near-real-time cameras ANYWAY.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The alternative that JF works is to rent space on a virtual server - which is cheaper - or pay for rackspace and run one you own in the metal - which is about the same, or more expensive, 'coz you just may ALSO still want internet access at the residence.
    I ended up having to do this because our dns SUCKS. Did I say that loud enough ?

After beating my head in through fifty pages of bullshit claims and ads I settled on a place called anynode.net. I'm not getting kickbacks and not related to the guy, but the place works okay. I ssh tunnel all our dns requests through that, get a static ip at the far end, and set up ftp and other services that the local isp didn't want to give me.

Plus if I connect through that, the rest of the world thinks I am in the US, so we don't get blocked from a lot of shopping sites. That makes the Assistant happy

Anyway, for oddball situations, it's something to consider. Plus the anynode guy seems to be pretty decent. Had some trouble in the beginning, without any snivelling on my part he added a free month. Not that big a deal but I thought it was a nice gesture. (To catch flies, use honey.)

(As a side effect, one of their offerred os'es is NixOS. Whoa ! If you guys ever feel like trying something strange, go for it. Interesting, works okay, has some very useful features [not eye candy] but dang is it different.)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    I ended up having to do this because our dns SUCKS. Did I say that loud enough ?
    LOL! Not a claim I would dare make. Not with four of the servers in my HKG rack running MaraDNS on two IP each, (all retired now..) and one of my longest-working partners the very creator of root-servers.ch over on the other wise place to sit.

US based servers? Bad enough sitting atop MAE-EAST most of my life!

But what YOU have described is not what I suggested.

May be as good for Hoof Lung's needs. May be better. Or not.

PS: NixOS is just another Linux distro. About 300 others are also weird in one way or many. The other four million are vanilla/white-bread clones of the big five or so.

PPS: Of over 400 OS'en known, and among those that have nuthin' to do with a *nix or a *nux, only about a dozen to two dozen, in F/LOSS, anyway, are useful as well as interesting. Not many have the resolve to STAY that way, either. I quit Haiku support and devel when they sold-out to a Linux blivet f'rinstance.

But that's for another time and place..

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL! Not a claim I would dare make. Not with four of the servers in my rack running MaraDNS, (retired now..) and one of my longest-working partners the very creator of root-servers.ch over on the other wise place to sit.

US based servers? Bad enough sitting atop MAE-EAST most of my life!

But what YOU have described is not what I suggested.

May be as good for Hoof Lung's needs. May be better. Or not.
    I didn't mean he should be using it for dns. That was the reason I had to. But a vps is useful for other things, too.

About dns sucking, that's a function of being in China. It's one of the main tools of the great firewall. Even if you think you are going to an outside dns server, you are not. I believe they are using something like wccp to capture any dns requests, re-route them to their own dns servers, supply their own preferred ip's, re-write the packets to appear that you are using an external dns server, then returning them to you. Except the ip they return is often a lie. I don't like google but can't blame that on them

They also intercept vpn's, and on random occasions will mess with them just for fun. But I think the newest trick is to avoid all the bad press from "internet censorship" by just routing all overseas traffic through a single trash-80. Now it's not censored, it's just so slow as to be useless.

Devious, them orinentals. Diabolically so

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Devious, them orinentals. Diabolically so
    Also very aware and competent.

A certain facility was stripped to the barest of walls just before UK to PRC handover of HKG.

"Counterpart" to some of us arrives, makes no bones about what had gone on in that facility, just introduces himself in native-grade English and asks where he can hook up HIS version of the same equipment for the same purpose. He already knew where the space was. He already knew we'd stripped the connectivity as well as the hardware.

No hard feelings. No recriminations about bloody-minded Colonial masters. It is well understood to be a part of what sovereign nations DO.

All as can afford it, anyway and rather a lot more that cannot, really.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No hard feelings. It is part of what sovereign nations DO.
    But think of the chiiiiildrennn !

btw, forgot to mention but we use a cheap vps, costs us about $5 a month for a static ip. It might be worth it to HooFlung just for that feature. Static ip can be a handy thing to have.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But think of the chiiiiildrennn !
    They do exactly that. Nearly 20 thousand of their very best young achievers every year going into good JOBS in that part of the Gummint, last time I was paid to look.

While ago, arredy, too, that was.

Might now be double or more, given they've knocked us out of the top several slots in supercomputers as well.

Yazz.. all the while WE are bitching that all they can do is mass-produce cheap s**t, other parts of a huge economy are doing a run AROUND such ephemeral distractions.

Thats human thing, not a Chinese one. We did it in our turn, too. Paul Revere and his midnight ride?

He SHOULD be more famous for the then-secret Revere metal works production of some sixty thousand lead encased heavy Carronade pre-loads that could be put into a hot tube without having to wet-swab it between shots.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a static IP, but the penalty was an MTU cap at 1350. This spoiled a lot of the internet: grand kids complaining about Xbox can't host a game, Netflix won't load it's menu properly, although it will stream a movie, but the problem being you can't see what you clicked on

So I suffered along for a year on the static, until everything just quit working altogether. So I phone tech support, and he says, everything looks good from our end, but let's try switching you over to dynamic for a test. Voila, my internet works better than ever, but no camera (as expected). Absolutely no explanation for why static IP doesn't work and absolutely no attempt made to fix it. So I complain "my cameras, I'd like them to work". "Do you want to go back to the static IP?" "FRIGGIN NO!" Why would I want to go back to what wasn't working at all?

So how do you fix that stupid?

So my actual router gateway is 192. something and the tech guys says my IP is 100. something and Ipchicken says my IP is 200 something.

The tech guy offers username and password to get into my modem device (on the roof) and says its admin, and admin. Except it isn't, I can hook directly to the device. So I have no clue what the hell the tech is looking at, and neither does he, quite frankly. If I did get in to that modem GUI, that's only the first of 7 of this ISP's routers between me and the real internet, I can hardly ask for permission to snoop around in all of them.

It is so astonishingly incompetent, I don't know how to deal with them.

Did I mention the provider is Xplornet? I hope some web crawler finds this thread

17. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a static IP, but the penalty was an MTU cap at 1350. This spoiled a lot of the internet: grand kids complaining about Xbox can't host a game, Netflix won't load it's menu properly, although it will stream a movie, but the problem being you can't see what you clicked on
    LOL! And here I had to go and create all that s**t myself on the throttled "Guest" router so the extend family on visits would get frustrated, pile into the 7-seater, and motor off to a mall or such to use OPW (Other People's WiFi) !!!

Ya - sounds as if Failedwhorenet is the only game in your area, a virtualized server could do yah.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a static IP, but the penalty was an MTU cap at 1350.
    That's really weird, normally it's 1500 minus a few for various packet labels, so 1492 or 1493 in real life. That's pretty universal for ethernet ...
    It is so astonishingly incompetent, I don't know how to deal with them.
    Seems like they are all that way. But at least I don't have to feel all alone now, China Telecom is better than that

Did I mention the provider is Xplornet? I hope some web crawler finds this thread
    Left that in on purpose so you can get a double-hit. Maybe we should all quote you three or four more times on that

Anyway, looks like no matter what you have to go through your crappy isp. One way, off the top of my head, would be to put all your cameras on an internal lan. Then set up a webserver to display their various images. Then you go to hooflung.org to see hooflung_garage.html or hooflung_swimmingpool.html. That way the ip cameras aren't even going through Xplornet's weirdness.

That way you can access yourself both internally and externally and all you have to deal with on the Dunderhead Side is opening one port, whichever you choose for connecting your website to. Altho they may snivel at that, too

You could achieve the same thing with just dns but I bet the website way would be easier and cheaper.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, good news for me. After I wrote in about my 'experience with technical support "how did we do?" a few days ago, (I wasn't particularly nasty but did explain what the issue was) , well, just out of the blue today, tech support called me all calm and peaceful like we wuz best buddies , and we worked on the issue. We used Teamviewer this time (something he said they didn't do last time), so I could get out of the way and let him monkey with all the settings to his heart's content. 3 hours later, still not solved, although I did learn from him that I could use Teamviewer as a stopgap solution to remotely log in and view the cameras on my LAN from a computer running inside the LAN. Ok....a bit awkward, but I could live with that.

So then a couple of hours later he called me back while I was at work and announced they had fixed the issue (on their side of things) so now I'm golden.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default To anyone who may know...

I just loaded M/S Office so's to get back to normal...

Trying to get Outlook 2016 all set up and I even suffered through a youtube tutorial that dealt mostly with using the calendar/scheduling function.

I am wanting to set this one up so that it deletes my mails off the server once they are loaded to this 'putor, but in all the set-up links and pages - I haven't found anything that looks like that.

Have they taken that feature away?

My techie here says [semi-jokingly] that it's NSA keeping a pipeline open to my accounts....

???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox