What's new
What's new

Assistance with Marking & MIL-STD-130

paris_tj

Plastic
Could someone assist me in deciphering what I really need to do, I have never had to do any markings like this.

Drawing notes:
Identify per MIL-STD-130 by Stenciling using white lacquer per tt-l-32, type 2.

This is what I know, or think I know...

Mark part using Insigna white lacquer, fed-std-595, color 17875.

Ok, what text am I putting on the part? MIL-STD-130 is so confusing and seems to not anywhere say do this and this.

Thanks in advance.

Generally,

ODA-part #
CDA XXXXX
MFR YYYYY

where ODA is the CAGE code of the original design activity (the CAGE on the drawing)
XXXXX is the CAGE code of the current design activity (only if changed from the ODA)
YYYYY is your CAGE code

For example,

19207-12345678
CDA 19200
MFR 12345

1/4" is pretty small. Obviously, you're only going to get one line. I would shorten it until it fit by removing the CDA, then your CAGE, and last the ODA if necessary.

Wow, I have read through it again, and I think I am more confused now.

Being I am very limited on space, .250 x about 2.00

Below will not fit
ODA-part#
CDA XXXXX
MFR YYYYY

Can I eliminate the ODA part?

CDA XXXXX MFR YYYYY

Or

ODA-PIN MFR YYYYY

The standard does not specify what information is most important, but I would do ODA-PIN MFR YYYYY if there is enough room.

I haven't done DOD work in ages, I always just marked them with the part number and my cage code. All mine were stamped with 1/8" high characters.

Isn't there a clause in the spec that calls out if the parts are too small to be marked they can be bagged and tagged?

Isn't there a clause in the spec that calls out if the parts are too small to be marked they can be bagged and tagged?

Sure but it sounds like the drawing specifies the method (stenciling with white lacquer), so one couldn't comply with the drawing without marking at least the part number.

CYA.

Email the customer and explain that since the part is .25 x 2.0 there's obviously not enough room for all the information and you need clear instructions for the marking of the part. Somebody authorized will have to reply with a name and title...probably ruining his day.

Back