What's new
What's new

Att: gmatov

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixMan

Diamond
Because the thread where you attacked alliancefab is locked I am posting this to defend a friend.

He is most certainly NOT lying, nor making anything up.

I have been to his shop a number of times. He impresses me as very few others young men do. He is a smart, nay....BRILLIANT guy with a great sense of humor, no signs of bigotry or racism, and is a truly pleasant person to be around. He knows what he is doing, yet is on a constant quest for more knowledge. He is unassuming and asks the right questions even though he already has many of the right answers.

The work he puts out on his older machines is nothing short of fantastic. Always in tolerance, better-than-spec finishes (where allowed), and it's clear he puts almost all of the money he earns back into his business so as to grow it quickly. And it is. He even knows how to fix his own CNC machines when they (rarely) need service.

I have been in machining for longer than he has been on this earth and and just over twice his age. Despite the fact that I'm old enough to be his father (who I have also met and he's also a great guy), I still have deep respect for him as a machinist, a shop owner, as a man and as a friend. In fact, it is because of just how driven and successful I see him being that has so earned my respect and admiration. You won't find a more genteel and sincere person anywhere. That he is this good and still so young is what gives me hope for our youth. Just because he's a nice guy do not think for one minute that he is not able to defend himself. He is quite capable of doing so and I assure that you wouldn't want to be on his bad side in a dark alley.

Not one word of what he wrote was made up. It's all FACT. I too have at one time in my career had to sign up for unemployment benefits, and here in Massachusetts one is required to show up in person and to bring evidence of applying for jobs to qualify to receive the benefits that so many of you have to pay in the form of unemployment insurance.

You sir, owe him an apology. He is a valuable, contributing member of this forum and deserves it, you owe it.

Wow. Thanks for that. I appreciate the comments from a good friend and someone I trust and look to for advice.

Jason,

Good shit in your thread man. We should be friends haha. I must have some Swager mentality as well since I'm only 22 and machining complex 3-5 low volume molds with cutters < 1/16th... Oh and the mold stuff was learned through necessity. Our workload changed and I was the only one to step up to the plate to learn this shit.

Dennis
www.creationsultd.com

I should start a chat room for the machinists that don't cry over every single little detail. Who is in?

By making this thread you are feeding the troll. Since this website will never ban anyone the only thing that can clean it up is "Stop feeding the trolls". Ignore them, they get joy out of agitating people, by responding to them you just encourage them, pretend they don't exist and they should die.

Dennis,

From the link you posted it looks like you had the very best last name to be picked as the one to 'step up to the plate'!:)

Stuart

Dennis,

From the link you posted it looks like you had the very best last name to be picked as the one to 'step up to the plate'!:)

Stuart

Stuart....lol. When i started working at the shop we were in a 2000 sq ft building crammed tight building larger quantities of simpler pieces. You would walk in and it would look like we were a mechanic shop and not a machine shop producing precision parts. Hard to keep medical contracts with a shop that doesn't show very well. Dad worked his ass off and was burnt out until I showed a lot of interest. I designed and coded the website, learned the 3-5 axis mill programming in spare time with help from local friends, and push to keep my dad interested. We moved recently to a larger, nicer facility and the new website I coded has helped bring back better business.

The world is going to change for people like AllianceFab and myself. Companies are starting to realize it is really hard to innovate when mfg is done overseas... 10 years from now we will be commanding our own new pricing structures and they will be begging shops to do the work... Just gotta wait out the storm to see the rainbow. The only thing is that the work is going to change. No more build 100 of these plates with 10 tapped holes...it is going to be 4-5 axis parts at 10 pcs each.

Nice to know of young successful ambitious guys like you Alliancefab. I didn't start my shop till I was 36, wish I would have started sooner, I did have two other attempts at self employment at 19 (failed after a year because of my bad back, heavy manual labor) and another at 22 (failed because of a lazy partner). I am sure there are many young go getters still, but less than when I was a kid (I am 51). The fact is now there are electronic methods of entertainment (video games) that didn't exist when I was in school. When I was 16 most of my male peers were into wrenching on cars, it took a lot of effort to keep my $300 beaters up and running. Most 16 year old males I know today don't even have cars and spend most of their free time playing video games. As for "thug life" youth, I experienced one myself. I hired my drug abusing (not around me) 17 year old nephew to help me move across the country. Of all the things we saw in our travels he was most impressed with East St. Louis as it was the "Murder capital of the USA." The kid is really ignorant, it was like he had a third grade education. About the only knowledge he retained was knowing the rap sheets by heart of all the popular hip hop (rap) singers.

Reading through this and the (closed) Swagger thread it occurs to me that gmatov seems to be taking up the slack created by Cliff Huprich who fouled up and singled-handily essentially killed alt.machines.cnc. The similarities between the two are striking.

Also, several people have mentioned that no one has been banned from Practical Machinist. I don't think that is correct in that JB* and all his aliases is banned. I'm guessing that Pi is banned, too.

*I'm sure that I don't have to spell out his name for the vast majority of y'all to know who he is.

It's a hell of a note that someone can become so widely known and (in)famous because of their antics on the internet. Is gmatov trying to obtain a similar notoriety?

I would rather have Anthony (tonytn36), Dan Murphy(swisspro), and Kirk Gordan's names and accomplishments be as widely known as anyone in these groups.

I realize that a few people have been banned, but I can only think of PI and I don't believe he was banned for his attacking other posters. He was using the site to sell pirated software or something like that.

I think this is a good thread and was saddened to see what happened.
There will always be suspicious or jealous people and I think anyone self
employed that has a measure of success will have to deal with this
at some point. I too have been the receiving end of this kind treatment in
my personal life and it has gotten to the point I now have a very small circle
of freinds I trust and am much more choosy whom I allow in our shop.

When I saw Alliance Fab's shop pics a year or so ago I
was impressed and to learn that he is in his mid twenties / early thirties
as are a few other posters here is very encouraging and motivating for
us all. He abviously has a great attitude and had the chance of being
surrounded by good people and this has led to good choices.

Excellent post.

I stopped being jealous of younger, more successful people a LONG time ago. I instead learned to admire, emulate, and encourage other young people to do the same. Apparently there's at least one person here who just can't believe a young fella or gal could do such things, and his jealousy gets manifested as attacks.

Small minded people run in small circles.

I have no idea what thread this applies to.

I don't turn on my computer till 8 or 9 PM, usually watch TV over it, read General and Manufacturing...

I only started reading Management because there is so little input in those 2 other threads.

Put me down as much as you like, I have had half a dozen businesses, though never more than 2 employees, a couple times some subs, which was a BIG mistake. Always had a good job, stupid, to me, as pointed out by my Boss, 40 some years ago, give up 2080 hours of guaranteed pay to go roof houses, or whatever, and all it takes is a ladder and a hammer to compete with me, AND they provide me insurance.

Hydraulics repair, I made decent money, but there was not enough work, but that was all side line. I did not miss work to do that.

Do I drink beer at night? Yes, but I am sure you will read the same from me at 8 PM that you do at 2 AM. I am going to drop f'bombs, it is not from drunkeness.

Gordon,

"Re the OP. George is George and there often doesn't seem to be anyone in PM he agrees with or likes. The way I look at it is when shove comes to push he makes the rest of us look good and if he wasn't there some of the rest of us would get picked on instead ."

There are many here whom I agree with and even like. You are not one of them. There is nothing that you and I have in common. You mention that all I talk about is money, and I could not care less about that. I am self-sufficient, WITH my SS and pension. I am not a welfare case, and I am not at ALL jealous of whatever you have.

I also do not go out to supplement my retirement and SS with WalMart greeter jobs, or schoolbus driver jobs, BECAUSE I didn't work for a non-UNION company. Nor am I, probably because I AM a UNION backer, always worked FOR a UNION co., and DID get a pension, AND, the co. paid into SS, needy.

I just found the post that makes me out to be a prick, thanks to Aerodark's post. I have not seen his balance sheet. He may have the nicest machines of any of you, if he cannot make a living plus a profit to re-invest, they are as good as, so he says,paid for, toys.

OP says I owe him an apology. OK. You got one. I don't know what for. I think I made valid remarks. What did you bill this year? ARE you a viable Machine Shop, or are you not? Profit! Profit! Profit!

One more point, to the guy back there who made reference to "college boy". I entered the Service at 17 yrs, 4 months. Hardly time to squeeze in a college degree. Westinghouse at 21 and 6 months, almost to the day. No, the only technical training I ever had wad Diesel School in the US Navy, and the only use I ever had for that was my own Diesel cars.

Note that I saw no reason to drop any f bombs in this post.

George

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to say I do not care much what any of you think. There are people here I can agree with, far more with whom I disagree. Some is because of your business practice, more because of your politics.

I've heard people talking like George has just written but it's usually because they've had a few too many :)

Don't drink and drive. You might hit a bump and spill your drink.

Gordon

Why do you have to post crap like this at every opportunity.You have been pushing this drink thing every chance you get for weeks now.
Accept the fact George doesn`t like you and move on.We don`t need a witch hunt.
I prefer reading Georges` posts to yours but I`m not on the keyboard every five minutes complaining about it.
It`s getting more like a playground in here everyday.

Gordon,

"I've heard people talking like George has just written but it's usually because they've had a few too many "

Of course you would say that. For you, in one post, I am a drunken bum, that is why I drop f'bombs. In this thread, I am a drunken bum, that is why I speak in a civil manner. I suppose I must be a drunken bum, right now, too, as I am not berating you.

How SHOULD I speak, that you not think I am speaking above my station, sound TOO erudite? I am not a stupid person. I have read thousands of books, I am interested in EVERYTHING, except US Football. Oh, and NASCAR too. Hate it.

Does that, too, make me a drunken bum?

I don't NEED to justify myself to you. You are simply a poster, one who wishes to sell some merchandise. I read, and if there is anything that attracts my attention, I remark. No profit expected. Businesses I have run, not germane to the thread, unless you have been in Hydraulics, Insulation, Home Improvements, wiring houses, furnaces, Gas Service (put in MILES of plastic gas line, and converted LOTS of houses from oil to gas). Once upon a time, was ready to start a machine repair business, could not, honestly, choose ONE of my co-workers to hire. I did not think ONE was good enough to take on as either an employee or a partner. I am bigoted in that way. I measure people against me. If they are nearly as smart as I think I am, I would hire them and work with them.

I never found any, in my shop, that I considered so. I won't share stories of the troubles I have had IN Machine Repair. Suffice to say, I worked my ass off to FIX the machine, else I would have to go fix it again the next day after DL undid all I had done on Second Turn.

I do not have to sprain an arm to pat myself on the back. I do not think there was a better Machine Repairman in my Company than I. Further, I do not thin there was a better Crane Repairman than I when I went to the Steel Mill I retired from. This may be different from your esoteric knowledge of whatever you do, something to do with threading tools, I think.

Oh-oh, I think I am, again, being coherent. I must be a drunken bum, again. I better go to bed., It IS 4 AM, so I actually do. BUT, I don't have to get up in the AM.

G'kids have piano till 2 PM, I get to take them out till about 5 or so, football and Soccer practice at 6, last week I can take them, school starts next week. I don't give up my time with my grands.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back