What's new
What's new

avaice looking for a machine shop sales rep for a 45 year established machine shop

solidworkscadman

Hot Rolled
I am looking for advice looking for sales reps.

where should I be looking to find someone?

what are the best channels to find work?

First, look for someone with a good attitude and really wants to work. If you have that you can train them for the rest. Forget looking for someone who has contacts and wants big commission. Hire a newbie, put them on a salary and train for exactly what you want. JMHO

45 years in business is pretty meaningless when it comes to attracting a salesman, it is all about size and capacity. No one decent is going to rep a shop without an easy potential to make a six figure yearly commission.

Ah, sales. The most "necessary evil" for job shop owners! I've worked with a lot of different industries and don't think there's any where they "hate" the customers more than a machine shop (definitely even more than fabrication). Okay, that's not answering your question. This part isn't either but, if you haven't, I would suggest ensuring that you have "maximized" your online presence. A good website developer can ensure that your SEO is operating at full potential and will maintain it for you. These days, that's pretty much "CODB" (cost of doing business). Next (sort of answering your question), is that you need to ensure there's untapped potential (i.e, if you hire a sales rep, they have the possibility of generating work for you). What's your specialty and does it need to change? Are you in aerospace and there's a lot of potential for extra work in hydraulics or some other market? If so, then you need to find the person who can properly "work" that market. They need to know your capabilities and have the ability to get into potential customers (something more difficult these days, given that everyone thinks they can find everything they need on the internet). You want a good hunter with a rifle that has a good scope and is hunting in an area that has good "game" than Elmer Fudd wandering around with a shotgun.

One resource you may want to look into is Manaonline.org. It's a trade association that bridges both companies looking for reps and vice versa. More oriented towards OEMs but still might be able to find someone through that source.

The Dude

I'm gonna go with machining stuff...not sure which materials though. Probably mostly manual lathes and Mills in the beginning and possibly some nc or even CNC machines as time went on.

MY question is "Why start with a rep now ?"

Or another way "What has changed ?"

One resource you may want to look into is Manaonline.org. It's a trade association that bridges both companies looking for reps and vice versa. More oriented towards OEMs but still might be able to find someone through that source.

The Dude

Is there any more examples similar to Manaonline.org?

Yup, lot's of "Arm waving".

There has to be a reason.
did the old rep quit ?
Never had a rep ?
Long term customers dry up ?

we have never had a rep before, we have been surviving throughout the years by word of mouth and our reputation.

Im interested in working with a sales rep to fill my open machine capacity.

do you have any suggestions digger or no?

Are you exhibiting at any of the job shop shows? You take along examples of what you do best and talk to prospective customers face to face. I love going to trade shows to find new vendors and parts. I seldom fail to come back without a new product or new vendor I can use. I used to do about 7 trade shows a year myself. I do well in that environment and have gotten job offers lots of times to sell for someone else.

we have never had a rep before, we have been surviving throughout the years by word of mouth and our reputation.

Im interested in working with a sales rep to fill my open machine capacity.

do you have any suggestions digger or no?

Nope....

But you could have said all of this up front.

Will you be treating your sales rep the same way ?
Having to ask 30 or so questions to try and drag out
exactly what your shop does, and how sales should be handled ?

DualKit said:
"45 years in business is pretty meaningless when it comes to attracting a salesman, it is all about size and capacity"

And is exactly right, you have not devoted even one sentence about what your shop does. Size of parts machined, processes, expertise, etc.

Don't see you smarting off him eh ? I'm done trying to help you,
you can't see anything after 45 years.

One way is to ask purchasing agents of potential customers who they would recommend.
I would have never thought of this idea myself but I have been received calls from companies asking if I would like to rep them when they had done this.

Bob

One way is to ask purchasing agents of potential customers who they would recommend.
I would have never thought of this idea myself but I have been received calls from companies asking if I would like to rep them when they had done this.

Bob

thanks bob for the suggestion

Are you exhibiting at any of the job shop shows? You take along examples of what you do best and talk to prospective customers face to face. I love going to trade shows to find new vendors and parts. I seldom fail to come back without a new product or new vendor I can use. I used to do about 7 trade shows a year myself. I do well in that environment and have gotten job offers lots of times to sell for someone else.

Not currently for our job shop, but we do for a separate product that we sell

we have done MFG, E-tec but have not displayed at a Design-2-Part Shows yet.

have you exhibited at a Design-2-Part Show?

Back