What's new
What's new

Best method to get a raise

turnworks

Cast Iron
Seeing as this is the management owner sub forum figured this would be a best place get get some good info.

Looking for the best methods to get a raise that has actually worked. In my experience when other coworkers leave the chance to get a raise is high. Also becoming very valuable to the company then turning in your two weeks notice has worked in the past but can end badly.

Flat out asking hasn't yielded anything along with asking straight up what can be done to help make yourself more valuable to the company to get more compensation. Also have asked for a game plan or a path to which could lead to a raise through whatever means was available.

Was asked by one of my coworkers who I am responsible for about getting a raise and I don't have control over any carrots so all I can do is relay the info. Would like to be able to at least give them some info that could help. My methods of getting my raises at my current employer isn't something I would recommend to another.

Thanks.

The quickest and most reliable way to get a raise is to change jobs. It has always worked for me.
If the employee in question has the skills and currently is underpaid then he/she is justified to ask for a raise if it's in line with the current job market.
He/she should line up a job, ask for a raise and if it is not given he/she should leave. Tool boxes have wheels for a reason :D

either the leadership doesn't care enough to pay attention to the employees, or the employee thinks he is more valuable than he actually is, or the company can't afford it either way asking has never worked for me but finding another job always did. if you can't get a better offer maybe your thinking your more valuable than you are. I figured if I had to ask I wasnt worth a raise to them. usually I got offered when I turned in my notice but then its to late. usually there was a round of raises after that for the productive people that hadn't left.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I don't see the numbers on the products they do so I can't say if they are high or low on pay. The place is mostly full of fire fighters in upper management. Nothing gets attention unless there is a major problem. One newer employee was brought in to put out a fire(personally didn't see the problem) and the word got out on their pay which was higher than most with much much less experience and skill.

The one that came to me looking for a raise is one I would like to see stay. Not a peep out of them all day, great production numbers all day every day and near perfect attendance.

I worked my entire life in the timber industry which is still in the dark ages, but when it came to raises, they were tied to cost of living and were always given yearly provided the company was doing well. In almost 40 years in that field I think I didn't get a yearly raise twice.

I can't imagine working for a outfit where you had to get on your knees and grovel for more money. That sort of tells me the employer doesn't really care about his employees, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

Stuart

I went from $6.62 an hour in 1984 to $28.12 and hour in 1995 working for the man in the same region before striking out on my own. It was pretty simple for me. I treated the shop I worked in like my own. I worked hard, learned fast and was dedicated. If that was not rewarded and I felt I was in a toxic work place that rewarded people playing shop politics, nepotism and basic brown nosing over competent hard work I moved on. I distanced myself from those who tried to game the system, especially those that tried to get away with doing as little as possible. If I was in a place full of people with bad work habits it was time to move on. For the record I think I worked in 7-8 shops before self employment.

How do I get a raise? As many others have said, ask for one and it that doesn't work find another job. Preferably in a union shop. They usually pay more and have much better benefits. You also don't have to kiss the bosses ass for a raise. Raises are negotiated by the union.

This probably won't be a very popular answer in the shop owners section but it isn't about shop owners getting a raise unless you consider that keeping wages low gives owners a raise.

How do I get a raise? As many others have said, ask for one and it that doesn't work find another job. Preferably in a union shop. They usually pay more and have much better benefits. You also don't have to kiss the bosses ass for a raise. Raises are negotiated by the union.

This probably won't be a very popular answer in the shop owners section but it isn't about shop owners getting a raise unless you consider that keeping wages low gives owners a raise.

What a useless answer. Union shops are rare these days.

If you can;
Turn up to work on time
Turn up to work sober
Don't turn upto work high
Don't fuck up parts
be nice to the secretary
Show an interest in progressing your skills
Accept any overtime your asked to do
Don't fuck up parts.
Don't use your cell phone during work hours
Keep bathroom breaks as short as possible.
etc etc

Maybe then ask for a raise.

If you can;
Turn up to work on time
Turn up to work sober
Don't turn upto work high
Don't fuck up parts
be nice to the secretary
Show an interest in progressing your skills
Accept any overtime your asked to do
Don't fuck up parts.
Don't use your cell phone during work hours
Keep bathroom breaks as short as possible.
etc etc

Maybe then ask for a raise.

This person does that list and more less being nice to the secretary. Im not sure they have ever met. The quiet hard workers never get noticed here they rather spend their time on the screw ups which I'm not sure why. This person gets more done than any two welders combined day in day out with out complaints until now.

Ill admit Im more of a game player. I work hard and go above and beyond including spending many hours at home making or designing fixtures to speed up production or whatever I think will help get more product out the door the following week. Doing all that hasn't yielded my raises, I do it because I enjoy it and makes me come alive. I used the game to get the raises and really don't want to teach others that if possible.

I was hoping to hear some owners or management people say Ive given many raises and here are the reasons why.

In the few places I've worked, if you didn't perform as expected you were drop kicked out the front door. If you did perform as expected you were given a yearly cost of living raise, usually at least 10%. Getting and holding a job isn't rocket science..do what you're suppose to do and to it to the best of your ability..someone will notice.

Stuart

I find that to be a really difficult question to answer. There are so many things to consider when giving raises. Is the company profitable? Can the company afford the raise? Remember that there is more cost to the raise than what the recipient will receive. Will the company be able to pass the additional cost on to its customers? Is the employee asking for the raise a good and productive worker? Does they have a valuable skill or talent? Are they respectful of co-workers and their work environment? Do they help others to be better and more productive people?
The list of things goes on and different aspects will weigh heavier from employer to employer.
But just because bosses don’t hand out raises at the drop of a hat doesn’t mean they don’t value or care about their employees.

It would be useless if there were no union shops anymore. There are union shops still in business, no matter how much you hate unions. I'm sticking by my advice.

Private sector union jobs are 6.5%. Last I checked government machinist jobs are few and far between. Your advice is useless. What are you doing in the shop owner and management thread anyway?

I find that to be a really difficult question to answer. There are so many things to consider when giving raises. Is the company profitable? Can the company afford the raise? Remember that there is more cost to the raise than what the recipient will receive. Will the company be able to pass the additional cost on to its customers? Is the employee asking for the raise a good and productive worker? Does they have a valuable skill or talent? Are they respectful of co-workers and their work environment? Do they help others to be better and more productive people?
The list of things goes on and different aspects will weigh heavier from employer to employer.
But just because bosses don’t hand out raises at the drop of a hat doesn’t mean they don’t value or care about their employees.

I don't see the books so I can't comment on the financial side but from what info I can get it is profitable and growing. I agree about raises at the drop of a hat and care about employees but feel almost 4 years without a raise is too long.

I do think you might have hit the nail on the head though with the question about valuable skill and talent. In my eyes heck yes they do by a large margin. I can't say if the people in charge of the carrots feels the same way.

I think its more of a perception thing. I like to see dollars paid to money generated as a mostly fair way to compensate people. Not just at this place but others as well being likable and taking work off of others peoples(bosses) plates makes a big difference in getting raises for me in the past. I see that as playing the game but maybe thats just the way it is.

Thanks for everyones replies.

As said the best way to get a healthy raise is to look elsewhere. Unless you are working in big companies raises are slim, bottom lines are tight and sometimes the people who actually make the company money are the ones that suffers.

Private sector union jobs are 6.5%. Last I checked government machinist jobs are few and far between. Your advice is useless. What are you doing in the shop owner and management thread anyway?

I've worked in 2 large manufacturing companies, both had multiple organizing attempts, all were voted down. One of the votes the union rep didn't even show up lol.

You haven't had a raise in 4 years?????? :eek:

If that's true then I would guess there is nothing you can show your employer that will merit a raise. I hope the boss didn't show up with a new truck every year.

Stuart

You haven't had a raise in 4 years?????? :eek:

If that's true then I would guess there is nothing you can show your employer that will merit a raise. I hope the boss didn't show up with a new truck every year.

Stuart

Lol no I have had more than my fair share of raises over the last 6 years there. The coworker hasn't had one in almost 4 years. Just having a hard time figuring out what I could tell them to help them out.

As said the best way to get a healthy raise is to look elsewhere. Unless you are working in big companies raises are slim, bottom lines are tight and sometimes the people who actually make the company money are the ones that suffers.

I've worked in 2 large manufacturing companies, both had multiple organizing attempts, all were voted down. One of the votes the union rep didn't even show up lol.
The second to last job I worked for the man had the same thing. The union was voted down 80% to 20%. The company paid very well for a non union shop in that area and had great benefits. Most of the pro union folks were lazy under performing slackers that thought the company owed them something due to tenure. Totally ignoring the fact in their 20 years of service their skills did not progress past year one and they always did as little as possible. They were lucky to be employed at any price.

Lol no I have had more than my fair share of raises over the last 6 years there. The coworker hasn't had one in almost 4 years. Just having a hard time figuring out what I could tell them to help them out.

If you get raises and they don't there has to be an obvious reason why.

Back