Best starter cnc
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    46
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default Best starter cnc

    Hey all. I have a small one man shop doing cnc milling and manual lathe work to support my custom car shop. However the two year long builds ive been on are finishing up soon and i would like to make the transition into a bigger cnc for production work. I only need to generate 48 hrs a month to make my bills. I can swing a 600/mo payment and it looks like that will get me into roughly a 30-40k machine. So what am i getting and why. My lathe handles everything I throw at it but the little mini mill i have isnt cutting it at 7.5in/min and its limited 1200 rpm spindle. So far I really like the look of a tormach 1100mx. I could go with a smaller tormach as I do have all the tts tooling currently but a bigger spindle and an actual taper seems a better option. Any other good options in that price range??? Haas toolroom or mini mill or a used vf??? Planning on doing aluminum primarily and some steel as well. Best company for financing??? The tormach is appealing as I dont have a forklift nor ceiling height for one and it seems manageable without one. Single phase or under 10hp 3 phase. (20hp rotary phase converter)

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14087
    Likes (Received)
    5694

    Default

    Don't. Buy. The. Tormach.

    Don't.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    136
    Likes (Received)
    208

    Default

    I'm not a Haas fan, but from what you listed, a used VF2 would be my choice. If you want to get into some serious milling, I'd want to get an actual mill.

  4. Likes mhajicek liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    55
    Likes (Received)
    44

    Default

    My company has done well with a couple Fadals. I personally think the controller is a bit weird, I'm more used to fanuc and dynapath controllers, but I can stumble my way through a fadal and get the machine to run good parts. Not sure what they cost now, but they were economical about 20 years ago. lol

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3124
    Likes (Received)
    1646

    Default

    I just got a Haas CM-1 for tiny med device parts, and I was thinking of getting a Tormach for the few larger parts I'm sometimes asked to do. I visited a client who's using one, and they were struggling to cut .100" axial x .100" radial in aluminum with a 1/2" endmill. We could barely hear each other over the chatter. My baby ISO-20 taper CM-1 has way more balls than that Tormach. Scratched that idea.

  7. Likes Keyfox liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    6,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7026
    Likes (Received)
    3897

    Default

    How do you do custom automotive work and lack room for a real VMC? Vehicles take up much more more room than a real machining center.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    How do you do custom automotive work and lack room for a real VMC? Vehicles take up much more more room than a real machining center.
    "Truck mounted VMC" now that could be the start of a Haas adverting campaign.

  10. Likes mhajicek liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    6,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2551
    Likes (Received)
    3158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CatMan View Post
    I'm not a Haas fan, but from what you listed, a used VF2 would be my choice. If you want to get into some serious milling, I'd want to get an actual mill.
    He said he is cutting steel and aluminum. Any Haas (well, decent shape) will do that all day. No, you won't hog, but with CAM hs toolpaths it's not an issue, unless you are finger-camming...

  12. Likes eaglemike, mhajicek liked this post
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    46
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    How do you do custom automotive work and lack room for a real VMC? Vehicles take up much more more room than a real machining center.
    I'd love to know that myself lol. Its a constant struggle. Albeit you dont usually need 10 feet in every direction around a vmc like you do a custom car. I could set it up the same way as my lathe with the cabinet accessable through the garage door and tight too the garage door. If i need to work on it i do outside otherwise I have plenty of room in front. Anyone here hear of a syil x7???? Seems a possible happy medium.

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    46
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    I just got a Haas CM-1 for tiny med device parts, and I was thinking of getting a Tormach for the few larger parts I'm sometimes asked to do. I visited a client who's using one, and they were struggling to cut .100" axial x .100" radial in aluminum with a 1/2" endmill. We could barely hear each other over the chatter. My baby ISO-20 taper CM-1 has way more balls than that Tormach. Scratched that idea.
    Which tormach??? The 1100mx has a bt30 taper which should be decent enough. I know weight is a big factor in rigidity but i dont see how its manageable for me to get much bigger than a tormach weight wise given my space. Last set of riggers I had quote to move my lathe was 5500 bucks. Ended up paying a guy with a gradall 300 bucks for his time.

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    153
    Likes (Received)
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    "Truck mounted VMC" now that could be the start of a Haas adverting campaign.
    Sunnen had a benchtop hone in the back of station wagons that went around to automotive shops to sell them on honing connecting rods.


    When I find it I don’t need it
    When I need it I can’t find it!

  16. Likes thewynner98 liked this post
  17. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northwest ARK
    Posts
    3,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4367
    Likes (Received)
    437

    Default

    I'm for the Haas at that level and size/price. Around here ( Arkansas) they have great support, repair, and quick service.

  18. Likes thewynner98 liked this post
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    5,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewynner98 View Post
    Hey all. I have a small one man shop doing cnc milling and manual lathe work to support my custom car shop. .................................................. ....................

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    If the intention of the mill is to only support your custom car work you could get away with knee mill. A B'port sized unit will be a quantum leap from what you have now. Lots of good ones available at decent prices on the used market from production shops that upgraded to VMC's.

    BTW: I see Tormach has upgraded the MX model to 30 taper and servos.

  20. #14
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3124
    Likes (Received)
    1646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewynner98 View Post
    Which tormach??? The 1100mx has a bt30 taper which should be decent enough. I know weight is a big factor in rigidity but i dont see how its manageable for me to get much bigger than a tormach weight wise given my space. Last set of riggers I had quote to move my lathe was 5500 bucks. Ended up paying a guy with a gradall 300 bucks for his time.

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    That's the one, 1100MX. The spindle taper and machine weight are only small parts of the equation; the quality, size, and spacing of the rails and trucks, and the exact geometry of the casting(s) make a huge difference.

  21. Likes thewynner98 liked this post
  22. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    9,729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    A B'port sized unit will be a quantum leap from what you have now.
    For example; probably get it for five, pay for itself in six months and after that all free, a hundred times better than any Tormach. Plenty like this.

    >> Tree Journeyman 425 CNC Mill << - tools - by owner - sale

  23. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    46
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    For example; probably get it for five, pay for itself in six months and after that all free, a hundred times better than any Tormach. Plenty like this.

    >> Tree Journeyman 425 CNC Mill << - tools - by owner - sale
    I agree and for repair/car work I am looking for a bridgeport but I would like to make the transition out of cars into machining full time. I think the syil x7 looks like a better deal, a real vmc and a much better bang for your buck

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    891
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    516
    Likes (Received)
    543

    Default

    You really need to settle on the question of new vs used first. Half the machines people have mentioned here used are a total crapshoot for newbie to buy. You have no way to assess if they are junk or not and you don't have the time, money, or expertise to fix them when they inevitably break. They WILL break or not even work in the first place. How much do you want to learn machine tool repair? Used machines are NOT for people getting started who want to USE the machine rather than learn to work on them.

    Now that you have decided that you can asses how each of the New or Used models fares against each other. I have seen people do garbage work on new Mori's and make tons of money with Tormach's so don't discount that just on what people say here. People here expect the machines to run everyday, all day with repeatable results. They throw Haas under the bus constantly because even they have trouble doing that to an acceptable level for tighter tolerance work. So take everything with a grain of salt.

    Personally if that was your price limit one of the small Haas with a nice warranty would be my choice. Be aware, despite what people are saying here they are barely better than a Tormach 1100MX. The parts are vastly more expensive and the support community is vastly less friendly. Remember, you are supposed to be a professional and already know how to do everything. If you don't it can get tough.

    Remember Haas HFO make a little money off the sale and most of profit on service and support. That means you. Be ready to pay a fortune for service techs, support and parts. That is their main income stream, don't expect good prices.

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    2,726
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2033
    Likes (Received)
    1685

    Default

    Get a used Fadal 3016, I've seen good examples go at auction from $3-$12K, not too large a footprint, easy to run, and more importantly easy to fix. If you can fix a car you can fix a Fadal.

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    2,726
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2033
    Likes (Received)
    1685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewynner98 View Post
    I agree and for repair/car work I am looking for a bridgeport but I would like to make the transition out of cars into machining full time. I think the syil x7 looks like a better deal, a real vmc and a much better bang for your buck

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Have you ever worked in a machine shop? machined full time? got customers who could keep you busy?

    It's not as easy as it looks.

  27. Likes mkd, Greg White, Keyfox liked this post
  28. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    46
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxian View Post
    You really need to settle on the question of new vs used first. Half the machines people have mentioned here used are a total crapshoot for newbie to buy. You have no way to assess if they are junk or not and you don't have the time, money, or expertise to fix them when they inevitably break. They WILL break or not even work in the first place. How much do you want to learn machine tool repair? Used machines are NOT for people getting started who want to USE the machine rather than learn to work on them.

    Now that you have decided that you can asses how each of the New or Used models fares against each other. I have seen people do garbage work on new Mori's and make tons of money with Tormach's so don't discount that just on what people say here. People here expect the machines to run everyday, all day with repeatable results. They throw Haas under the bus constantly because even they have trouble doing that to an acceptable level for tighter tolerance work. So take everything with a grain of salt.

    Personally if that was your price limit one of the small Haas with a nice warranty would be my choice. Be aware, despite what people are saying here they are barely better than a Tormach 1100MX. The parts are vastly more expensive and the support community is vastly less friendly. Remember, you are supposed to be a professional and already know how to do everything. If you don't it can get tough.

    Remember Haas HFO make a little money off the sale and most of profit on service and support. That means you. Be ready to pay a fortune for service techs, support and parts. That is their main income stream, don't expect good prices.
    Thanks. I dont mind doing repair electronics and wiring don't scare me im very mechanically apt because of wrenching on cars houses semis etc.... and i have no problem wrenching on one its more a matter of i want to make money not make a hobby out of fixing it. The tormach was my main idea as it seemed the most cost effective but the syil seems a lot more bang for the same buck. I understand people will cry about everything and this is just a stepping stone for me. This machine needs to pay for itself and a bigger shop or second machine for me. Thanks for all the help and opinions yall. Thinking I want to go new. The syil seems highly regarded by folks in other parts of the world and their us support is picking up here. Someday a doosan or other large 5 axis is in my sights. But a small 3 axis vmc is the next step. Thanks for all the advice and tips and opinions!!!!!

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •