Best way to get rid of a small machine shop? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Definitely craigslist - clean, organize, ask a reasonable price and be patient. You will do fine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nickg140143 View Post
    Rent for the shop isn't the worst, 650$ a month in my name, and we had a few grand in the business account that's been covering rent.
    We had a few small jobs that paid the rent, but COVID basically killed off the customers.

I work for northrop grumman as a software engineer, but this shop has just been in the back of my mind and figured it's time to let it go.
    I'm on unpaid leave until December so I can use the time to get things in order and get this shop taken care of once and for all.
    yeah, what I was getting at is time - $$ for rent and your time - will quickly become more of a factor what you get for the tools given there's not 10's or 100's of thousands to be made. If the lease was in a company that was being discontinued and were full time employed with little time you could just hand the keys back. If its not month to month or expiring soon you may still have to look at doing so or some sort of "new" deal with the landlord but there's some risk given its in your name. Now's the time to do the deal on a termination, the landlord will like having everything cleaned out ready to rent.

Maybe that market is different, but here we wouldn't get an auction company or used dealer to show up for that stuff. And the auction guys want a guaranteed minimum fee ($50,000 on one I was recently on the periphery of) and 6-8 weeks for advertising etc. There may be a auction service down the food chain a bit, but how do you make a living on a % fee of 5000 of stuff? You can't even afford to send a truck to consolidate it with the next auction.

I'd be thinking if all cleaned up and listed it was going to produce $5 or 6 thousand, put it out for $2500 or 2000 on CL as is. Some guy will be tickled pink at the great deal and you'll save two months of rent and all your time. Just depends on how you value and want to spend your time, either approach (as is, or polish) is valid

3. Likes AndyF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To OP:
    US guys are always against shipping and packaging because they have such huge local markets they never need to learn how to do this.
    It´s actually easy and cheap.

I would suggest looking at cleaning everything, and getting a local machinist to come and do a few measurements as a "cert" of sorts.
    Runout with dti x, cylindricity y, overall working quality z.
    The machinist would probably cost 300$.

Then put everything in a container.
    2 labourers can do that in 1-2 days for 500$.
    Container costs 1500$ or so.

You could probably get 6-12k$ for a packaged container machine shop, and some/many buyers would be international and they pay all expenses out of your plot, that is not accumulating rent any more.
    People with a lack of machines in some areas of the US or like alaska or hawaii would buy it, to get what they need, and sell-off the rest.

If I was next to You in the US, I c/would offer You 6k$ subject to my sale,
    and sell it off as a polished containerised lot for about 25k$ est.
    Because I personally know how to test cert fix and adjust everything and how to sell them off.

So I´m suggesting You should be happy to get 6k as-is after cleaning or 12k after an involved operation with a mechanic and container and stuff.
    For many, 6k$ more for a months of hassle is little enough but for many it is a lot of money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post

Maybe that market is different, but here we wouldn't get an auction company or used dealer to show up for that stuff. And the auction guys want a guaranteed minimum fee ($50,000 on one I was recently on the periphery of) and 6-8 weeks for advertising etc. There may be a auction service down the food chain a bit, but how do you make a living on a % fee of 5000 of stuff? You can't even afford to send a truck to consolidate it with the next auction.
    You are 100% correct on an auction company not being interested. The nearest machinery auction company is probably 60 miles from there, even if one was right next door he would probably need 10x what he has or more to draw interest. There is a whole lot of really bad advice in this thread. The call the scrap man ones are laughable. Knowing the area I bet he would get charged $500-$1,000 to haul it off. I joined here trying to get someone to take a couple complete CNC Lathes that weighed about 4500# each. They had orphaned controls and were poorly designed. They were sitting on cement in front of a barn, easy access, it cost me $660 to get a scrapper to take them when scrap cars were $100-$120 a ton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apologies in advance, I can't help myself.

Best way to get rid of a small machine shop?

Buy more machines so you have a big machine shop!

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    You are 100% correct on an auction company not being interested.
    Sorry, Jack, wrong answer.

Okay, I could be ten years out of date, been outta town a while but there are/were small, family-owned auction places that do good out of deals like this. Seller doesn't get much but the auction guys come out, load everything up, and take it away basically for free. You only get a little $$$ in the end but it's fast and clean.

Again, maybe those people have all been crushed but last I looked there were several in the north bay that do estate sales, restaurant closings, schools, small shops of all kinds. If it's too small, like this, they take the crap home to their place, then split it up and sell it. They'll buy the whole place for a price, then make their profit later.

The bigger (but still small, not Dovebid size) guys, like Ashman, would come grab it all and stick it together with other stuff later on. At lots of shop closings you'll see a few machines just kind of parked on the corner, not hooked up, not related to anything. That's where they come from, somewhere else. Sometimes you'll see them at three or four different auctions until they finally sell

That's normal in the auction biz. Worked a whole bunch of auctions myself, been the phantom bidder, tagged and did checkout many many times. The auctioneer in question was a crook but he had a race car and we ran almost every weekend during the summer for fifteen years. Even ran a silver crown car a few times, but it was too much hassle. He died with $256,000 in cash in the bottom dresser drawer.

There's money in it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Sorry, Jack, wrong answer.

Okay, I could be ten years out of date, been outta town a while but there are/were small, family-owned auction places that do good out of deals like this. Seller doesn't get much but the auction guys come out, load everything up, and take it away basically for free. You only get a little $$$ in the end but it's fast and clean.

Again, maybe those people have all been crushed but last I looked there were several in the north bay that do estate sales, restaurant closings, schools, small shops of all kinds. If it's too small, like this, they take the crap home to their place, then split it up and sell it. They'll buy the whole place for a price, then make their profit later.

The bigger (but still small, not Dovebid size) guys, like Ashman, would come grab it all and stick it together with other stuff later on. At lots of shop closings you'll see a few machines just kind of parked on the corner, not hooked up, not related to anything. That's where they come from, somewhere else. Sometimes you'll see them at three or four different auctions until they finally sell

That's normal in the auction biz. Worked a whole bunch of auctions myself, been the phantom bidder, tagged and did checkout many many times. The auctioneer in question was a crook but he had a race car and we ran almost every weekend during the summer for fifteen years. Even ran a silver crown car a few times, but it was too much hassle. He died with $256,000 in cash in the bottom dresser drawer.

There's money in it.
    I don't know anything about the auction business, but it seems machine shops are quite different than anything else. Everyone knows what a stove/refrigerator is, even if it is an industrial version, how many people not into machining would know the difference between a bridgeport and a bandsaw?

@ conradhofman, I was trying to restrain myself, but since you "breached".... the best way to get rid of a small machine shop is to try and turn it into a large one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I were in your shoes I'd be looking to get out from under the rent and would probably see if there is an area of a parking lot where the machines could be tarped for a short time until they sell. Not real great for the machines long term but it might be an option for not eating up any value that the machines have by paying several months rent. A gallon of lps3 can do wonders on preserving machines when stored in less than ideal conditions.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I don't know anything about the auction business, but it seems machine shops are quite different than anything else.
    I guess you guys are all wealthy

Nope, it's all just stuff to them. Of course some places specialize and that's what you want but none of them care, it's just buy-sell.

For example, Ashman

Ashman Company - Auction Calendar

and here's the stuff that didn't sell

Ashman Company - Equipment For Sale

If I were down in lalaland and decided to do that, I'd call Lloyd and ask him who can do that in the neighborhood. Some auctioneers will just buy up a little place then stick the stuff in with a later bigger auction. Not all, but some. As I mentioned, my guy left a big bundle of cash behind .... but give him credit, the last year or so he did his best to spend it That's where the silver crown car came in, and parking right in front of Foyt was fun, but the thrill/hassle ratio wasn't good enough so we went back to winning midget races.

11. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had a chance to got through some more of the shop while cleaning up a bit.
    Looks like there are a fair number of collets that are used with the Lagun.
    20201010_152434.jpg

Looks like a bunch of drill bits, mills and taps. Not sure about condition though
    20201010_152517.jpg

Whatever these huge things are (the lathe chuck seems pretty new)
    20201013_204742.jpg

But hey, that Lagun cleanup has been coming along thanks to everyone's advice!
    20201012_193204.jpg
    20201012_193110.jpg

Slowly but surely worming my way through this mess

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gah, also found a bunch of these tool holders. looks like they go to a bridgeport? None of the machines in this shop though.

20201008_153110.jpg
    20201008_143504.jpg

Not sure if they are worth anything or it's just scrap at this point

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there an adaptor somewhere to use those tool holders in either mill?

The tooling stuff in your last 2 posts looks like it could all bring easy money. Just identify it, we can help, and list for sale, small stuff that can ship should get you a bit more $ since the pool of buyers is larger. On here or ebay.

1st pic of the collets I see at least 3 different types.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nickg140143 View Post
    Gah, also found a bunch of these tool holders. looks like they go to a bridgeport? None of the machines in this shop though.

20201008_153110.jpg
    20201008_143504.jpg

Not sure if they are worth anything or it's just scrap at this point
    You should be able to identify those, they are 30 taper or 40 taper or ?taper toolholders. They come in many flavors but are almost the same for each size. cat 40, nmtb 40, bt 40 are some types. You might have to measure and look up sizes if nothing is stamped on them.
    Guestimate on pricing $40- $100 each?
    Some of the collets in that box of collets might go with these. Or in similar collet chuck on other mills or even in lathe....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    You should be able to identify those, they are 30 taper or 40 taper or ?taper toolholders. They come in many flavors but are almost the same for each size. cat 40, nmtb 40, bt 40 are some types. You might have to measure and look up sizes if nothing is stamped on them.
    Guestimate on pricing $40- $100 each?
    Some of the collets in that box of collets might go with these. Or in similar collet chuck on other mills or even in lathe....
    Thanks for the info! Those flavors really help me identify some of these holders as I go through all of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If some of the tool holders are 30 taper, they have more value than the R8s for the Bridgeport. I understand that some Laguns were made with 40 taper spindles. If yours uses them and there a significant number of them, it will be worth much more to a knowledgeable buyer. Most Bridgeports used R8s and I got rid of mine. They just don't have the holding power.

Bill