Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Make things you also use

I ran across this doing research for a post I'm working on. I know the OP took some shots, but I interpreted the question differently and don't think it was a bad one at all. All shops have fallow capacity at some point. (Any shop running at or close to 100% capacity has a different problem to address if it goes on for very long).

Excess capacity becomes an issue of concern when hours start getting cut because of it. Assuming you have already used the open time for machine maintenance activities, I suggest using your open time to make things you use every day in the shop. For your mills, you can make vise jaws from aluminum and steel, T nuts and strap clamps for some examples of basic things. For more complex, you can make vacuum plates (if you do vacuum fixturing) and you can maximize for old, beat up lathe chuck jaws by modifying them to allow for top plates that would allow them to be reused as new. For turning capacity, you can make tool bushings and "shop use" thread gages.

Making of these things could be a great way to expose less experienced operators to set ups and maximize your training program in an environment that doesn't have the pressure of delivery schedules adding to the need to hurry things up. Also, since you're using these things in your shop, you're not making things for the purpose of selling so much as you're reducing your own cost at a later date. If you DO want to sell them, you could easily move them on Ebay for the right price as any number of sellers exist for them.

All of that said, I agree with comments of others that if it goes on for too long, there is a need to get out there and work on the sales side of the business. Independent reps could be a way to go if sales is not your strong suit.

I know this is an older thread. The problem is most likely solved. Since it allows for comments I decided to weigh in since, again - I'm working on this exact topic.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

spammer dredging up old.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    spammer dredging up old.....
    At least its a fellow Pa spammer

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    At least its a fellow Pa spammer
    Get your ass back over to the other side of the state, or I'll send you some snow....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Get your ass back over to the other side of the state, or I'll send you some snow....
    Don't threaten me with a good time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sigh. I have tons of excess machine time. Do not care. Trying to use it up would give me a PITA. But I feel so much better ignoring it. I don't call it excess. I call it redundancy.

7. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your issue is excess machine capacity, then you should be selling that. There are a lot of folks that do not have the money to invest in machinery for a one off project or they have an order that is large and time sensitive and require temporary machine time. If your excess is more than just idle machines, then you have other issues as well, like excess personnel. That is another problem as well. If machine capacity and labor is excess then there may be a knowledge or talent issue. I don't think you have thought this through. Do that first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-l View Post
    If your issue is excess machine capacity, then you should be selling that. There are a lot of folks that do not have the money to invest in machinery for a one off project or they have an order that is large and time sensitive and require temporary machine time. If your excess is more than just idle machines, then you have other issues as well, like excess personnel. That is another problem as well. If machine capacity and labor is excess then there may be a knowledge or talent issue. I don't think you have thought this through. Do that first.
    Maybe that answer applies to the OP? People who make parts need to keep spindles running. I make PRODUCTS, big difference. I made some parts for a customer a very long time ago. Once. It was like WORK! Four letter word.