Better Looking Safety Glasses? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used Smith Optics in the past. They have a high-impact polycarbonate line of glasses some of them look good. Be aware they are not cheap.

Smith Elite Eye Pro Sunglasses Men's: Smith United States

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nineandtwothirds View Post
    So I would like to find a source for nicer eyewear. Anyone have any suggestions? I found these guys: ANSI Z87.1 | CSA Z94.3 Approved Safety Glasses, Eyewear, and Frames and they have some nice stuff, but I'd like a few more options.
    Get yourself some "old school" safety glasses. Apparently the retro look is in for safety glasses too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bouton-249-59.../dp/B009KZUBG4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old-school-safety-glasses.jpg  

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oakleys are nice, but very expensive.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my favorite were the 3m tec with wire frames, yellow lens. I can not find the yellow lens wire any more. umph.
    I think the coolest looking are the glasses the short track iceskaters wear. imagine how fast you can make art with those!

5. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I gave up trying to find normal-looking safety glasses with 'cheaters' for close work. They all look like something out of a futuristic sci-fi movie; not a good look for someone in their 60's. The only option I've found is full prescription ones, but they are too pricey for as fast as I scratch them up. I found some tolerable ones at Lowe's for like $13. Now that I'm retired, I don't care what they look like.

7. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    Get yourself some "old school" safety glasses. Apparently the retro look is in for safety glasses too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bouton-249-59.../dp/B009KZUBG4
    I really like these, but I cant find any to fit my giant gourd!

9. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a bit surprised you don't design your own frame or modify an existing one using an add-on motif. The possibilities are endless.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    I gave up trying to find normal-looking safety glasses with 'cheaters' for close work. They all look like something out of a futuristic sci-fi movie; not a good look for someone in their 60's. The only option I've found is full prescription ones, but they are too pricey for as fast as I scratch them up. I found some tolerable ones at Lowe's for like $13. Now that I'm retired, I don't care what they look like.

Amazon has full lens magnified safety glasses I use for close up work. I can't tolerate the bi-focal ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Elvex-RX-500C...gateway&sr=8-2

12. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    Not trying to derail this, but I just read again a post from jan 2018 I believe it was and you were worried about your employer closing shop. You had to cut chunks of D2 from an 8ft bar, using a cnc mill instead of the saw. You stated you wish to hang on just a few years until retirement. Congrats you finally made it, but much earlier that you thought? Did your employer close shop?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3M'Ms make auto darkening safety glasses for $30-50/PC. They don't darken very much but are nice if you walk in and out all day. Good as any place to waste your hard earned monyl

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, I can't find the typing and drinking auto correct settings g

16. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by paul39 View Post
    If you don't need side protection just go to your regular prescription glasses supplier and get polycarbonate lenses of whatever prescription in whatever frame you like.

I have been wearing glasses for 72 years, current ones are Polycarbonate darkening bifocals in steel gray titanium frames.

Paul
    They aren’t safety glasses without side protection.
    Not even sure if screen sides count any more.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old age means your eyes just don't do details.
    So I tried to go with bifocal cheaters and hated them.
    Next option full magnifiers at lowest power levels. Better but not the resolution I needed.
    So step up a few. Now details great but any long distance view down the long aisle totally screwed.
    Not to mention that if you start your day with such and wear them long your eyes just won't go back to normal until you sleep overnight. All long distance is gone and for short you need the glasses.
    In a fluke I bought a pair of these in 2.0 which was my normal for full mag.

They were useless but I noticed they were just barley usable at the bottom edge, read some reviews and decided to try much higher.
    Friggen magic for me. Clear sight 1/4 mile down the aisle without screwing my vision when I have them off, tiny fonts on the computer clear, tiny tearing on a cut wall visible.
    They are not stylish and best to go to a eye doctor and get the right but these are the best I've encountered among 20 or so types I've tried.
    http://Safe 'n' See High Definition ...eading Glasses
    In the auto plant I worked in side shields were allowed and there was a stock of them up front for vendors and visitors.
    Bad side to this is that I saw many "glasses" with such attached that were not impact rated.
    Also had the big safety glasses that fit over your normal prescription glasses. The view though this setup is not very comfortable or clean.

One can buy the stick on magnifiers and I know some skilled trades guys who like this option.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=stick+on+..._sb_ss_sc_4_14

Not sure why looking good for the gals counts when protecting your eyeballs at work so the starting post is confusing.
    Bob

20. Likes Spinit, Philabuster, bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    my favorite were the 3m tec with wire frames, yellow lens. I can not find the yellow lens wire any more. umph.
    I think the coolest looking are the glasses the short track iceskaters wear. imagine how fast you can make art with those!
    3M offers a good selection of safety glasses. They are spaced good and are comfortable and look pretty good. There are custom makers who offer make to order safety glasses which are more expensive yet are worth it depending on personal preference. It all encourages use of wearing them when the company supports the wearing of them and providing a good safety glasses option. Having a environment where they are to be worn in the shop where it is mandatory is best. It lowers the incidence of injuries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know you have gotten use to wearing them when you go home, walk in the door and the wife asks why you are wearing your safety glasses.
    Then you realize you also stopped by the gas station and the grocery store on the way home.

It's tough to get new employees to wear their glasses so the "better looking" may help in some small way.
    But if you rigidly enforce the "past this door and glasses on" it becomes a habit. The trick here really is zero exceptions and no tolerance and that must include the boss.
    If you allow the "okay not near or running a machine you don't have to wear them" or such you never get that habit and fight it constantly.

If in a machine shop and you don't have safety glasses on you should feel naked. Try to install that feeling into everyone who works for you.
    It's not about rules and regulations, It's about caring that all exposed to your environment will still have two functional eyeballs at 70+ years old and that you did no harm.
    Bob

23. Likes Philabuster, Spinit, Ohio Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't done extensive research but most of what I tried were just awful and painful to wear. My favorite so far are MSA Sightgard #10038845 at $5 a pair. As noted they have to comfortable if you want folks to keep them on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best I've worn is " Bolle ". They're made by a French company so they'll be stylish enough for you and they don't steam up if you're also wearing a dust mask.

Regards Tyrone.

26. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello nineandthothirds,
    maybe something ordinary but for cleaning with air pressure and a lot of other task, especially when using coolant, I have developed a safety shield which gets installed right at the air-pressure gun. It works great and has 3 benefits. No one can miss to wear it, it keeps you safe of coolant and aerosols as well as flying swarf and debris and it keeps she shop floor clean and the debris; coolant in the machine.

Users call it "First defense safety protection."

You can check it out and if you are interested let me know. +ProFace by PJ Development | Work Safety OSHA | Germany

Thanks Patrick

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airpressure-prot View Post
    Hello nineandthothirds,
    maybe something ordinary but for cleaning with air pressure and a lot of other task, especially when using coolant, I have developed a safety shield which gets installed right at the air-pressure gun. It works great and has 3 benefits. No one can miss to wear it, it keeps you safe of coolant and aerosols as well as flying swarf and debris and it keeps she shop floor clean and the debris; coolant in the machine.

Users call it "First defense safety protection."

You can check it out and if you are interested let me know. [url[/url]

Thanks Patrick
    WooHoo !

A spammer eating off the carcass of another spammer !

I love it.

Dueling spamming.

Tag team Spamming

29. Likes barbter liked this post