What's new
What's new

Better Material Needed!

spartans_78

Plastic
I am in search of a better material besides neoprene rubber to cover my ways and open sections inside my various machines that will stand up to my coolant!
I use Blasocut 2000 and will continue to, but it doesn't like rubber too much....

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Stevo.

This might get locked as your title isn't descriptive enough. "Better material needed" could have meant you are failing as a stand up comedian and need some better jokes to tell.

This might get locked as your title isn't descriptive enough. "Better material needed" could have meant you are failing as a stand up comedian and need some better jokes to tell.

Well he better 4340 himself for some hecklers, especially with 65Rc's like Doug waiting for a chance.

I've seen some thick (1/16"-1/8") orange translucent material, might be polyurethane ?
Comes in a roll, saw it on some machine tool enclosure (somewhere) about 6" wide
this was, the coolant & chips was going all over it.

If you want rubber, nitrile is fairly oil-resistant and inexpensive (probably similar in cost to chloroprene/Neoprene). Polyurethane or FKM/Viton would probably work fine as well if you want to spend more money.

I gave my nephew a almost new mudflap that literally fell off a truck. He was going to use it to guard his mill drill. He ended up selling it on c-list and used the money to buy something that worked and was not so stiff.
Bill D.

I've got a couple Bridgeport CNC knee mills that have some sort of rubberized fabric as original covers for the Y axis ways. Machines are close to 35 years old and the cover material is still in perfect shape. Its also very flexible which is a plus for way covers. Unfortunately I have no idea of the name of the material as I've never needed to buy it.

Off the top of my head, Neoprene is a solid go-to for all-around coverage when it comes to Ozone/weathering, oils, and water-based fluids. It's not a standout in true resistance to any of them, nor high temperature use, but it's cheaper than Viton. That makes it an easy choice for something like cover flaps.

That fluid looks pretty aggressive. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what might hold up, probably it's going to be viton.

Edit: Neoprene is rated as a "C" against Napthanic Mineral Oil (Mineral Naptha) which is the main ingredient in that cutting fluid. Both NBR/Nitrile/Buna and Viton/FKM are rated "A" for such. NBR is cheaper, but there are some additives in the cutting fluid that don't play all that nicely with it, and it isn't as happy to be immersed in water all the time as a fluorocarbon. Go with Viton if you can.

Last edited:

Back