Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a fella here wrote a book "How to be rich and never pay your debts"...Be about 1980.....at the same time the "Bottom of the Harbour Schemes" were popular with the sharper end of town.....anyway ,about 15 years later ,he wrote a Volume Two "How to be rich and never pay your debts....(but FGS do pay the tax man)".......the tax chased him for 15 years and found him in Austria.....pre internet days too.......All the Bottom Of the Harbour Schemes promoters ended doing stretches too,on retrospec tive laws,and the "innicent viktims who only wanted to pay no tax"...ended up bankrupted by the tax man.(who would have liked to jail them too.)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    There was a fella here wrote a book "How to be rich and never pay your debts"...Be about 1980.....at the same time the "Bottom of the Harbour Schemes" were popular with the sharper end of town.....anyway ,about 15 years later ,he wrote a Volume Two "How to be rich and never pay your debts....(but FGS do pay the tax man)".......the tax chased him for 15 years and found him in Austria.....pre internet days too.......All the Bottom Of the Harbour Schemes promoters ended doing stretches too,on retrospec tive laws,and the "innicent viktims who only wanted to pay no tax"...ended up bankrupted by the tax man.(who would have liked to jail them too.)
    "Betting against the house" is not for the klewless. Ever.

When.. I was working for a deep-discount phone company, I pointed out to a friend and neighbour that we could save him a good deal of money.

He was no dummy. He said that as a horizontal people-mover consultant of some fame, all his initial contacts for projects opened at a distance from the airport or such that used those goods.

Voice communications were sooo very crucial to his success, he used ATT at full price, and would gladly pay a PREMIUM if they had an even better grade of service.
    Any LOSS of opportunity was waaay more costly to him that anything saved off his phone bill.

Lawyers are like that. As are Tax Accountants. Insurance underwriters as well.

The best are not more expensive. Long run, they are the LEAST expensive. Because you are out and about earning coin. Not sitting in court. Bankrupted. In jail. At-risk of. Or some combination of the "actual".

"Get rich quick" is usually interchangeable with "Get raped slowly".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    If Uncle Bob had been born a woman, she'd be my Aunt.
    and that's why Bob's yer Uncle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One other thing I forgot to add. Dont put guns, tactical or any other firearm name in your business name as it draws unwanted attention.
    Remember out of site out of mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The usual disclaimer- I am not a lawyer, so regard this as a suggestion for an issue to take up with one.

I was making a lot of parts that went on locomotives and naturally concerned about liability. A lawyer did agree that I should form a separate company that only owned the equipment used in production of those parts, but he also warned that if they could prove that I did all the work on the parts myself, they could come after me as an individual.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    One other thing I forgot to add. Dont put guns, tactical or any other firearm name in your business name as it draws unwanted attention.
    Remember out of site out of mind.
    Also don't say anymore about your products to suppliers than you have to. I needed a bag of Bakelite to mold couplings in a locomotive speed controller. Being important, it was designed with multiple, multiple safety factors. The shaft it coupled could not have developed enough torque to come close to breaking the coupling. The salesman casually asked what I made. All I said was locomotive" and red lights started flashing. It didn't matter that i had not described the use, just the word locomotive was enough. For all they knew, it could have been bathroom door knobs. They simply would not sell anything that went on a train.

Fortunately Bakelite is common and I got some from another company, this time being careful about what I said.

Bill

7. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    The usual disclaimer- I am not a lawyer, so regard this as a suggestion for an issue to take up with one.

I was making a lot of parts that went on locomotives and naturally concerned about liability. A lawyer did agree that I should form a separate company that only owned the equipment used in production of those parts, but he also warned that if they could prove that I did all the work on the parts myself, they could come after me as an individual.

Bill
    In the typical products liability lawsuit, the lawyers will sue anyone in the chain of production. They will sue the company that provided the materials, the person working on them, the company that sold them and the person using the product when the victim was injured.

It doesn't mean that the liability will stick, but they will try to nail everyone in the production process.

From a Findlaw article on Google:

"Product Defects: Responsible Parties

For product liability to arise, at some point the product must have been sold in the marketplace. Historically, a contractual relationship, known as "privity of contract" had to exist between the person injured by a product and the supplier of the product in order for the injured person to recover. In most states today, however, that requirement no longer exists, and the injured person does not have to be the purchaser of the product in order to recover. Any person who foreseeably could have been injured by a defective product can recover for his or her injuries, as long as the product was sold to someone.

Liability for a product defect could rest with any party in the product's chain of distribution, such as:

• The product manufacturer;
    • A manufacturer of component parts;
    • A party that assembles or installs the product;
    • The wholesaler; and
    • The retail store that sold the product to the consumer.

For strict liability to apply, the sale of a product must be made in the regular course of the supplier's business. Thus, someone who sells a product at a garage sale would probably not be liable in a product liability."

What is Product Liability? - FindLaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    I would wait 15 days, you might not want to be in the gun buss. or you may want in real bad... 2 weeks will tell...Phil
    After that d**ckhead biden gets in nobody will want to be in business period. The american people have elected a corrupt jackass for president. He is a career politician who never worked an honest day in his life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by norb View Post
    After that d**ckhead biden gets in nobody will want to be in business period. The american people have elected a corrupt jackass for president. He is a career politician who never worked an honest day in his life.
    That's another can of worms opened. Stand by for incoming.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    I would wait 15 days, you might not want to be in the gun buss. or you may want in real bad... 2 weeks will tell...Phil
    No need to wait if you want to do it. You can always get out later.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In US,gun and such manufacturers have some legal protection from claims by persons injured or killed by such guns or ammo....Absent that protection,there will not be a gun or ammo maker ,or seller in the US of A......So Biden doesnt need to tinker anywhere else ,to bring the entire gun industry down..........The Remington bankruptcy touches on this liability ,as the Sandy Hook victims are presently pursuing claims that the protection was negated by the nature of wording used to advertise the "assault rifle" used in the crime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Disagree.
    Even if the lawsuit succeeds, of even if the liability protection was removed politically, there would still be endless US manufacturers of guns and ammo and stuff.

There is not such protection in the rest of the OECD world.
    Guns and ammo are sold, very profitably.

The best manufacturers afaik are Finland, where I am from, and germany.
    Sako for Finland, and Lapua ammo,
    H&K for Germany.
    Accuracy international for the UK.

H&K and Lapua are the benchmarks to strive for - in all the world.

In US,gun and such manufacturers have some legal protection from claims by persons injured or killed by such guns or ammo....Absent that protection,there will not be a gun or ammo maker ,or seller in the US of A......So Biden doesnt need to tinker anywhere else ,to bring the entire gun industry down..........The Remington bankruptcy touches on this liability ,as the Sandy Hook victims are presently pursuing claims that the protection was negated by the nature of wording used to advertise the "assault rifle" used in the crime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are likely correct with regard to new manufacture of guns, That said, they could stop making guns immediately in the USA and there would still be an ample supply. It's estimated that thee are more than 300,000,000 guns still privately owned here.

Unlike Australia and other countries who have given up all or most of their guns, the problem here is a lot larger and there would be a great deal of resistance to any wholescale attempt on the part of government to remove them from private ownership.

I'd venture a guess that it would be an impossibility ever to collect them all. Many of them lack serial numbers, others have been passed down within families for generations and have never been registered. Then there are the stolen guns or guns that are in the hands of criminals who will resist giving them up.

I should also touch on the issue gun smuggling. With the left's stated intention to open our borders to all manner of illegal immigration, this could certainly tempt the gun smugglers to increase their business. After all, the amount of drugs coming in over the border is already quite large so guns will become even more lucrative with fewer hindrances.

Good luck to Joe Biden and his crones on this issue.

15. Likes SND, empwoer liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the question is about insurance,not gun confiscation...........Another matter is the 1996 gun confiscation/compensation in Oz proved a bumper event for gun sellers ,as those who recieved inflated compensation values for their guns ,spent the windfall on new guns...so increasing the actual number of guns in private ownership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the Dems remove the statutory protection for gun manufacturers,and open up the lawyerfest of lawsuits by third party victims of gun related injuries and deaths,no insurer would touch a gun manufacturer with a 40 ft pole.

That's exactly right. Presently there is the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. (PLCAA) that was passed in 2005-2006.

"(5) Businesses in the United States that are engaged in
    interstate and foreign commerce through the lawful design,
    manufacture, marketing, distribution, importation, or sale to
    the public of firearms or ammunition products that have been
    shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce are
    not, and should not, be liable for the harm caused by those who
    criminally or unlawfully misuse firearm products or ammunition
    products that function as designed and intended."

But this is a law that will certainly come under scrutiny in the coming months under a
    Biden administration. All it would take is a lawsuit or two to be successful where a
    person is shot, say a case other than products liability. If the administration goes
    far enough left, the Congress could revisit this law and overturn it, even without a
    lawsuit. That could happen if and when the democrats get those other two seats
    in Georgia.

As you say, when that happens, there won't be a market for gun manufacturers'
    insurance and then only machinists and gunsmiths will have them.

Text - S.397 - 109th Congress (2005-2006): Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember when President Obama and Vice President Biden took all our guns? Me neither.

What I do remember is shortages of ammo and reloading components just like we're seeing today. A bunch of chicken littles stockpiling so that normal adults can't take their kids plinking.

19. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
    Remember when President Obama and Vice President Biden took all our guns? Me neither.

What I do remember is shortages of ammo and reloading components just like we're seeing today. A bunch of chicken littles stockpiling so that normal adults can't take their kids plinking.
    Obama and Biden never got around to collecting guns. Like many other things they promised, nothing happened on that topic. I'm certain that it was on their list and now, with Biden and Harris, it will be on the agenda at some point.

21. Likes SND, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obama has stated that he overestimated the power of the NRA,and that he should have pushed ahead,had he known the internal problems with that organization.....Bloomberg will be pushing for a permanent solution to the supposed political power of the second amendment wackos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obama has stated that he overestimated the power of the NRA,and that he should have pushed ahead,had he known the internal problems with that organization.....Bloomberg will be pushing for a permanent solution to the supposed political power of the second amendment wackos.
    So, according to you, persons who belong to the NRA and own weapons in the US for protection and hunting are Second Amendment wackos.

I understand that there are still numerous guns in Australia even after over one million of them were destroyed in the 1990's. I know that you Aussies don't have a Second Amendment per se but there are still many licensed weapons legally owned in Australia. Would you say the same of your countrymen and women who are licensed and own weapons legally? Are they also wackos?

And if so, what would you call yourself? A girlie man? Just curious.

Gun laws of Australia - Wikipedia

24. Likes SND, digger doug, Dieseldoc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's firearm and ammunition manufacturers in many countries outside the USA, they seem to be doing quite fine.
    There's been a lot of new "Custom Actions" and high end rifle manufacturers coming on the market the last few years, most of it little shops maybe 1-2 guys but some getting bigger, they filled the papers and I know in Canada having insurance is one of the requirements to getting the gunsmith or manufacturers license. David shouldn't have much problem on his end in the USA.

Maybe the first step is to not listen to anyone from Australia lecturing about guns.

26. Likes Newman109, Dieseldoc, g-coder05 liked this post