What's new
What's new

Boss has acquired TopSolid and installed it but doesn’t make use of simulation

Mechanola

Stainless
Girls, I’m having a hard time here with my chef who is 54 years old, so four years younger than me. I have learnt to use Esprit (for turning) and visited a training course on Mastercam X8 a few years ago. Noted that in my resume. Hired since March 9[SUP]th[/SUP] I[FONT=&quot]’m only told [/FONT]I could perhaps start to use TS but have to run faulty programs. G97 G99 by the dozen, G96 never occurs. No Ns although these would make life easier. Miyano control has already skipped blocks and second spindle hit butterfly turret. EOBs helped but I find that silly.

If I only knew how I could pass across what relief it would be to have the two CNC lathes displayed by the software, fully drawn. We have the dimensions in the manuals. I could overlook the tools at the PC instead of having to wrap my head day after day around all the drawers for where the one insert holder might sit. It[FONT=&quot]’s a mess. Help![/FONT]

Hi Mechanola:

First off: we use TopSolid 7 here, but don't do any turning with it, so my ability to help you with those particulars is limited.

Do you have a VAR/dealer that you are happy with? Have they offered any assistance? The simulation in TS is quite good, but as with anything-"garbage in, garbage out". If you have good models of your machine(s) I believe you will be happy with the results you can achieve. Once you have gotten this setup, it is very easy to use, and to not take advantage of this functionality seems puzzling to me. Again, get your VAR to step up here and help out!

From your message I also wonder if you might need a little assistance with your post processor. Again, I would first start with your VAR. Depending on which modules you have, you may or (more likely) may not have the post processor development kit at your disposal. Frankly, I think most folks should probably just get their VAR to do this for them. Most folks don't have the PP dev kit-they really prefer that users just get completed posts.

Did your "chef" just throw you in the deep end without any training? While I didn't find the program *too* hard to learn, I do wish I had a small amount of formal instruction when I first started with V7 (we were long-time V6 users, but V7 is a completely different animal). There is a lot it can do, but there is also a lot to learn if you really want to make it go. The program *does* install with a couple of PDF tutorials, and while they're a good starting point, likely you'll need some additional support at first. Do you have any other TS users close by that could also assist?

I will send you a PM here shortly with a link to join a users group on Slack; I have found it very helpful as we transitioned from V6 to V7. Lots of capable, friendly folks helping each other out.

Thanks, Brian

Last edited:
Brian, very kind of you, thanks for your words

I got layed off today. Friday last day there. Sad but in a way a big relief. I can’t perform like the others while seeing what a luxury business that company lives by. We make parts and groups of autosamplers, in full wording programmable advanced liquid samplers. One such thing costs between 10,000 and 15,000 Francs. No wonder, the way those parts are made is indescribable and the whole apparatus is clicked together. Boss has a lot of experience in making the parts but no common sense. Depending on one big client . . .

Back