Building a building on Light Industrial property - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two questions to ask yourself.
    1. Would I buy such a building 10 years down the road?
    2. Will anyone finance such a building 10 years down the road?

Nix any wood.

2. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am actually getting ready to do the same thing. So stop copying me, or doing it first, or whatever. Haha

As a member of the local planning board and a person who wants to build the same thing you want to do, I have some info.

Dont go straight to the township, very bad idea. Go straight to a land use attorney. They are the only people who can actually say what can and cant be done. That is why towns hire them to sit on the boards. Then, they can tell you how to talk to the township. Most likely they will know all the paid members of the boards and know how to talk to them. They will also have experience in the areas you are looking and can offer ideas you never considered.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for every ones opinion, good and bad, I have to say, the advice that Bondo gave was exactly the type of advice I need, I was going to talk to a civil engineer that is local, however, you gentlemen are always a wealth of knowledge as well and are good at pointing out things that someone might not think about, so thank you for your responses.

I have run some numbers and yes ( This is definitely not a get rich quick scheme ) However, I have worked with a few industrial land lords / property management companies over my 32 years of being in business and none of them are poor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johfoster View Post
    Ain't that the truth.

Most recently wanted me to put in the same amount of paved parking spots required per sq ft for an office building, but on a warehouse addition. Takes calling around the dept for hours to find someone with the sense to see those differently, and the power to allow a variance.
    ...and then with all that added asphalt, they want a run off pond....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

digger doug, I'm already figuring the retention pond.
    #1 If water is present within 24" of the surface a septic is not allowed.
    #2 So I plan to do the retention pond to use the sand to keep my up out of the ground.
    #3 Around here we have what they call 2NS sand for any drain field and then you need to have a contingent area for a secondary field in case the first one goes bad.

I've been playing contractor for years, so I realize I have to hire Licensed Plumber, electrician, septic field installer and sprinkler guy, I'm allowed to do everything else provided I have sealed drawings.
    I already do work for cities and counties, however, I'm smart enough to know there are a few things I don't know.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    digger doug, I'm already figuring the retention pond.
    #1 If water is present within 24" of the surface a septic is not allowed.
    #2 So I plan to do the retention pond to use the sand to keep my up out of the ground.
    #3 Around here we have what they call 2NS sand for any drain field and then you need to have a contingent area for a secondary field in case the first one goes bad.

I've been playing contractor for years, so I realize I have to hire Licensed Plumber, electrician, septic field installer and sprinkler guy, I'm allowed to do everything else provided I have sealed drawings.
    I already do work for cities and counties, however, I'm smart enough to know there are a few things I don't know.
    Yup, I meant for post #20 where the code people had him add un-needed parking spaces.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do a lot of work in the City of Ann Arbor, super liberal, and super smart..., I get it !!!

9. Likes Greg White liked this post