What's new
What's new

As built drawings 101 after March 2020

mjk

Titanium
I've been working with a customer since June of last year on a project that involved a different engineer than usual and many unknowns and unusual requests.
Without getting into detailed specifics, the spec called for a "grip" surface to be applied to the face of a 2" diam disk.
The original spec was a knurl.
Knurling a face (consistently ) on a pc of S7 wasn't something I was able to do.
But I did come up with a pattern cut into the face with a dovetail cutter on the mill stepping a certain pitch, then rotating the piece 45 degrees and repeating.
When done I sent it to my customer.
This was last September and the pattern was approved

2 weeks ago the po arrived by email.
First call to the engineer and he says he isn't allowed on his site to retrieve the sample, he's working from home.

Fortunately he documented what he thought I did and added it to his notes.

I've always been fairly good about documenting how I did something when it took me a while to figure out, now it will be standard practice regardless of the situation.

Well, as long as you make them the way he said he thought you did, you should be okay. :D

I've been working with a customer since June of last year on a project that involved a different engineer than usual and many unknowns and unusual requests.
Without getting into detailed specifics, the spec called for a "grip" surface to be applied to the face of a 2" diam disk.
The original spec was a knurl.
Knurling a face (consistently ) on a pc of S7 wasn't something I was able to do.
But I did come up with a pattern cut into the face with a dovetail cutter on the mill stepping a certain pitch, then rotating the piece 45 degrees and repeating.
When done I sent it to my customer.
This was last September and the pattern was approved

2 weeks ago the po arrived by email.
First call to the engineer and he says he isn't allowed on his site to retrieve the sample, he's working from home.

Fortunately he documented what he thought I did and added it to his notes.

I've always been fairly good about documenting how I did something when it took me a while to figure out, now it will be standard practice regardless of the situation.

Document and save more than 1 copy.

I keep a file on my computer. 1 hard copy in a file cabinet, and 2 rotating USB drives in a safe deposit box that keep a back up off site that gets updated weekly. So I never lose more than a weeks worth of work.

I have seen buildings burn down. I do not believe in the "cloud" and my customers wouldnt want it anyway.

It sounds like a pain in the ass but it really isnt. Its the one time you dont write something down that ends up screwing yourself.

Back