What's new
What's new

Business cards – who uses and who has?

Here it’s not unusual that employees have company business cards with their name and job on it depending on who they normally have contact with and to.

For about 10 years my business card has been the one on the left but now I’ve decided it was time for a change. I gave my idea for a text and layout (everything on one side) to a “professional” and this is what he came up with. A front and back. IMO much better that what I’d suggested.

If any don’t like my new card then it’s too late :)

Almost all the business cards I get from others are “standard” and I think my new one doesn’t fit into that category. I wanted as little text as possible and yet leave no doubt as to what our business was. We’ll see if the "message" gets across.

How many have a business card they think is worth showing?

Attachments

• Business card.jpg
    Business card.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 639
Here it’s not unusual that employees have company business cards with their name and job on it depending on who they normally have contact with and to.

For about 10 years my business card has been the one on the left but now I’ve decided it was time for a change. I gave my idea for a text and layout (everything on one side) to a “professional” and this is what he came up with. A front and back. IMO much better that what I’d suggested.

Almost all the business cards I get from others are “standard” and I think my new one doesn’t fit into that category. I wanted as little text as possible and yet leave no doubt as to what our business was. We’ll see if the "message" gets across.

The male bolt chasing the female nut, where is the transgender thread?

Since I am retired, I no longer have any. I'm torn between front only and front and back. A lot of the card holding books have double side pages so you can't see the back. ( Is that you doing the chasing!?)

Here is mine,
I like simplicity. Has been the same for 8 years now. Nothing on the back. I do hand them out when someone asks for it but I don't just flog them out. We have a A5 size double sided brochure that new customers can take with them with a few pics of jobs and machines we make including contact details. It seems to be more popular than the cards since the days of now just being able to put contact details into your phone.

An interesting idea that I liked was from a rep that came past a few weeks ago. His business card is actually a sticker. It is a bit "loud" for my liking but I think the sticker idea is great. I immediately stuck it on one of my cabinets in my shop. He also sticks it to all his brochures.

Attachments

• DSC_1771.jpg
    DSC_1771.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC_1772.jpg
    DSC_1772.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 329
Since I am retired, I no longer have any. I'm torn between front only and front and back. A lot of the card holding books have double side pages so you can't see the back. ( Is that you doing the chasing!?)

I have a couple of those card books but the slots are transparent both sides.

A guy calls a company and orders their 5-day, 10 lb. weight loss program. The next day, there's a knock on the door and there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old babe dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign round her neck. She introduces herself as a representative of the weight loss company. The sign reads, "If you can catch me, you can have me."

Without a second thought, he takes off after her. A few miles later, huffing and puffing, he finally catches her and has his way with her. The same girl shows up for the next four days and the same thing happens. On the fifth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 10 lb. as promised. He then calls the company and orders their 5-day, 20 lb. program.

The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning, beautiful, sexy woman he has ever seen in his life. She is wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, "If you can catch me you can have me."

Well, he's out the door after her like a shot! This girl is in excellent shape and it takes him quite a while to catch her but when he does, it's definitely worth every muscle cramp and wheeze. So for the next four days the same routine happens. Much to his delight, on the fifth day he weighs himself only to discover that he has lost another 20 lb. as promised.

He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day 50 lb. program. "Are you sure?" asks the representative on the phone. "This is our most rigorous program."

"Absolutely," he replies, "I haven't felt this good in years."

The next day there's a knock at the door and when he opens it he finds this huge, muscular, 7ft man standing there wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads, "I'm Francis. If I catch you, you're mine...".

A friend of mine used to work for a rather high end audit/consulting firm. They ran an experiment before a major trade show. Instead of standard paper cards they gave each team member very high end engraved and painted metallic cards. Only 5 though. The idea was that instead of handing them out they'd have people take a pic with their smart phones. Overall they were not a very happy group. Part of their bonus package and performance rating was tied to generating new business and these shows were prime time for scoring fresh clients.

As with most businesses they have a low 2-4% call back rate with cards. Asking people to take pictures ran call backs up over 15%. In general people don't throw away their phone after a show and even if they loose the phone frequently the data is backed up. That said, four months later they all got fresh paper cards. Old habits die hard.

Nice new card btw. Bang on for clarity and accuracy.

you can buy business card stock and print business cards on a inkjet printer. maybe 10 to a sheet ?? never had a problem. takes usually less than 5 minutes
i dont normally use but when looking for a job (which isnt often) it helps to have name phone number and email on them.
some have their picture on business card, some do not like their picture on a business card its a personal preference

in China i would ask store for business card and write english what store sold. then taxi driver could read chinese and take me to store again
used to have cards for all over the city. that way i could get taxi ride fairly close to any part of the city. if you never been in a country where you are not fluent in the language you will not understand. they use to give out business card holders and tell us first card is your hotel so taxi driver can take you back to hotel. 2nd card is place of work if needed you can take taxi to work. 3rd card is airport (can always have translator write address down if place has no business card, thus why have a few blank business cards in holder). other cards were whatever you wanted like favorite restaurant to eat or bar to get a beer

in China i would ask store for business card and write english what store sold. then taxi driver could read chinese and take me to store again
used to have cards for all over the city. that way i could get taxi ride fairly close to any part of the city. if you never been in a country where you are not fluent in the language you will not understand. they use to give out business card holders and tell us first card is your hotel so taxi driver can take you back to hotel. 2nd card is place of work if needed you can take taxi to work. 3rd card is airport (can always have translator write address down if place has no business card, thus why have a few blank business cards in holder). other cards were whatever you wanted like favorite restaurant to eat or bar to get a beer

This is what cards are for

I've seen or had cards with glossy paper and printing as well as fully printed backs

They are useless, the whole purpose is so you can write on the back of the card

don't get fancy and make that impossible.

you can buy business card stock and print business cards on a inkjet printer. maybe 10 to a sheet ?? never had a problem. takes usually less than 5 minutes
i dont normally use but when looking for a job (which isnt often) it helps to have name phone number and email on them.
some have their picture on business card, some do not like their picture on a business card its a personal preference

The guy that made my first card (and a few other things) is professional and I like what he did with my original suggestion. The new cards probably cost twice as much as normal nut this kind of thing isn't where I want to save some $s.

Some companies insist on a picture but those are usually the large companies and also get used internally.

This is what cards are for

I've seen or had cards with glossy paper and printing as well as fully printed backs

They are useless, the whole purpose is so you can write on the back of the card

don't get fancy and make that impossible.

OK I'll ask. What have you seen people write on the back of a business card they've just been given? It'd be regarded as an insult in some countries. I've also seen many business cards that have English on the one side and their own language on the other side. I can imagine in Quebec having both English and French isn't unusual.

The vast majority of my customers ask for advice before buying and the back of my card now helps me suggest so any misunderstandings are avoided. They can see what I mean by d2 and D2 etc.

We agree though on glossy cards.

Here is mine,
I like simplicity. Has been the same for 8 years now. Nothing on the back. I do hand them out when someone asks for it but I don't just flog them out. We have a A5 size double sided brochure that new customers can take with them with a few pics of jobs and machines we make including contact details. It seems to be more popular than the cards since the days of now just being able to put contact details into your phone.

An interesting idea that I liked was from a rep that came past a few weeks ago. His business card is actually a sticker. It is a bit "loud" for my liking but I think the sticker idea is great. I immediately stuck it on one of my cabinets in my shop. He also sticks it to all his brochures.

What is BBBEELEVEL2 ?

I can see where a sticker could be a good idea. I think you've just given me an idea for a sticker :cheers:

If I get some made I'll post. Thanks.

I ended up with a sort of arrested development -- liking and using business cards, email, and typing on a keyboard rather than texting.

But it's all increasingly a sign of old age. If a young tech person has a card at all, it's likely to be tiny and have a 2D (now even 3D) barcode the recipient can scan with their phone. That might take them to a web site, product catalog, etc. The middle ground, when you have clients across a wide range of ages, might be a traditional card (like yours) with a 2D barcode.

I do like your cartoon of a male thread hoping for a chance to find its mate. Here, you might have to be careful who you handed it to, though. Not entirely bad to have a clientele composed only of those with some sense of humor . . .

I do like your cartoon of a male thread hoping for a chance to find its mate. Here, you might have to be careful who you handed it to, though. Not entirely bad to have a clientele composed only of those with some sense of humor . . .

That thought had crossed my mind but I don't think I'd want a customer that found it offensive. I'm at an age and in the enviable situation that I don't have to go along with "the customer is always right". I got an email from someone not too long ago at 17.00 my time and demanded an offer that day. I did reply but only wrote "Good luck with that". Never heard more :)

The story behind that picture is that I was asked to write an article in a (Danish) company magazine and I knew a woman in the company - very nice looking and blonde - OK also married - who was good at drawing. That's what she came up with. It even made the front page on the company magazine.

Sad but all too true. A sense of humor went bye bye like common sense did.

. . .

The story behind that picture is that I was asked to write an article in a (Danish) company magazine and I knew a woman in the company - very nice looking and blonde - OK also married - who was good at drawing. That's what she came up with. It even made the front page on the company magazine.

Sounds like you're in the clear . . .

Getting back on track again :)

So far only NAST555 has posted his business card. When I started this thread I was hoping to see what others used and if they were "unusual". Unusual in the sense "different but good".

The male bolt chasing the female nut, where is the transgender thread?

No kidding, the Democrats in this country would not like your card. You need males chasing males, females chasing females, and some he-shes chasing all of the above to be accepted here. Sexual deviates are now worshiped by liberals in this country.

. . . Sexual deviates are now worshiped by liberals in this country.

Wouldn't be casting stones with Trump as President. Man has already trashed 9 of the 10 Commandments.

Most people I know, center, center left, and center right have a pretty simple rule. They don't especially care whose threads try to get entangled -- privately -- and between consenting adults. More a libertarian than liberal view actually. They do care if it's non consensual -- kind of like a 5/16-18 forcing itself on an unsuspecting M8.

Today's kids tend to be more tolerant, more egalitarian . . . and more likely to have a business card with this: How to Create QR Codes for Business Cards | qrworld

Back