Business Expansion Plans - am I crazy? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing. Densely populated areas are such a pain in the ass for the modern methods of manufacturing. In the old days when factories needed access to rail and river/sea ports, and a huge work force that relied on public transportation or just walking to work, it made a lot of sense to locate in big urban areas where all of those things came together.

Today, people drive to work and most goods come and go on large trucks. Being close to an interstate highway and far from everything else is a much more attractive option. Auto plants are a great example. Honda's Marysville plant is 40 miles from the outter reaches of the Columbus metro area. They have tons of space to grow and do what they want. Close enough for workers to commute. Far enough to have some freedom.

I can't imagine trying to locate a big company in a dense metro area like Chicago, Seattle, San Fransisco, Boston, New York, etc. Most manufacturing ends up in the suburbs of those cities, but those cities have to balance residential and commercial needs with much less resources than the huge cities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great news! Love hearing manufacturing is still alive, well and thriving in the US...even better to hear its one of use here on this forum.

If it isn't me, I'm glad its you!

600K...I can see that.

Some years ago a fire in location in front of our shop had the Gas Company shut service to our premises. I figured no big deal, its summer, we'll have them flick it back on when needed. Kinda forgot about it till it started getting cold, so called Gas Company in September. They come in to turn on, but say we need to call Department of Buildings, DOB. DOB comes in and says we need a pressure test first, we need to call plumber. OK Plumber comes in, 2800 bucks to pull the permit and for the test, I can see point of testing...is what it is I give OK. Day of test, Plumber shows, DOB shows as he must see and validate results...he looks and says the lines are not up to the new code...didn't care that the place met the old code when everything was installed and approved...$6500 to drop the old runs and install new to new code (FYI- I inquired what was different...DOB agent said The "New Code" removed all unions and drops. That was so I could not modify gas lines myself>>> I asked him to look around...did he think removing a union would stop me from modifying "If I wanted to>>...

so long story short-- $9,300 to turn back on the gas service.

Best of luck to you Guru!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIM View Post
    Great news! Love hearing manufacturing is still alive, well and thriving in the US...even better to hear its one of use here on this forum.

If it isn't me, I'm glad its you!

600K...I can see that.

Some years ago a fire in location in front of our shop had the Gas Company shut service to our premises. I figured no big deal, its summer, we'll have them flick it back on when needed. Kinda forgot about it till it started getting cold, so called Gas Company in September. They come in to turn on, but say we need to call Department of Buildings, DOB. DOB comes in and says we need a pressure test first, we need to call plumber. OK Plumber comes in, 2800 bucks to pull the permit and for the test, I can see point of testing...is what it is I give OK. Day of test, Plumber shows, DOB shows as he must see and validate results...he looks and says the lines are not up to the new code...didn't care that the place met the old code when everything was installed and approved...$6500 to drop the old runs and install new to new code (FYI- I inquired what was different...DOB agent said The "New Code" removed all unions and drops. That was so I could not modify gas lines myself>>> I asked him to look around...did he think removing a union would stop me from modifying "If I wanted to>>...

so long story short-- $9,300 to turn back on the gas service.

Best of luck to you Guru!
    How much did the plumber kick back to the DOB agent?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Motionguru - I'm not sure how I missed this thread when you started it, but as you know, everyone here on PM is thrilled for you. If I die with only a fraction of your success, I'll have live a happy, fulfilling live. God Bless & rock on'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    How much did the plumber kick back to the DOB agent?
    Not beyond the realm of possibilities...............................

I'll stick to my rural existence..............I don't have a blood pressure issue. But if I had to jump some of these educated idiots' hoops, I'd hemorrhage and stroke out...............................

6. Likes macgyver, cnctoolcat, Garwood, 2lmaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Not beyond the realm of possibilities...............................

I'll stick to my rural existence..............I don't have a blood pressure issue. But if I had to jump some of these educated idiots' hoops, I'd hemorrhage and stroke out...............................
    My previous job I worked on campus at the local university and I will try to be short, there are many many reasons why I work by myself in a small town a few miles away where there are no people, no codes, nor permits required. I can do anything I want as long as it is legal. Working with those yahoos for 11 years sucked out my ability to deal with that type of person or situation anymore. As Forest Gump said, 'that is all I have to say about that'.

Over the years I have read many posts by Motion on here and a few other forums and I have always appreciated and respected what he has said and how he said it. I think it is awesome that you guys are growing and making it all happen in spite of all the 'cost of doing business' hoops. I don't know you but if what I have read holds true, in another life I'd be knocking on your door to see if you needed my help.
    I hope you can find the time to keep us updated on the building and throw in some pics too, I am sure lots of us would like to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fantastic news Motion. As always, its inspiring to see PM folks doing well.

My only request:

Its high time to start a shop thread so we can track progress!!

9. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations, good luck going forward. One thing I did when putting up our building, I hired an owners rep to work with our contractor. I'm a toolmaker, not a construction supervisor. He kept track of all the day to day goings on so I could concentrate on keeping my business going while the construction of my building was happening. He wrote a scope of work that saved me a lot of headaches and money(when things were not done to code and we held the contractor and subcontractors to task) and dealt with the city red tape, inspectors, city ordinances etc. Grading contractors, landscape architects, soil tests, retention ponds, codes, there are lots of pieces to the puzzle. The bank liked the extra level of overseeing also. If you have time and expertise to do it yourself that's great, but if not, hire someone who does.

11. Likes bryan_machine, motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    Congratulations, good luck going forward. One thing I did when putting up our building, I hired an owners rep to work with our contractor. I'm a toolmaker, not a construction supervisor. He kept track of all the day to day goings on so I could concentrate on keeping my business going while the construction of my building was happening. He wrote a scope of work that saved me a lot of headaches and money(when things were not done to code and we held the contractor and subcontractors to task) and dealt with the city red tape, inspectors, city ordinances etc. Grading contractors, landscape architects, soil tests, retention ponds, codes, there are lots of pieces to the puzzle. The bank liked the extra level of overseeing also. If you have time and expertise to do it yourself that's great, but if not, hire someone who does.
    I have been extremely fortunate to have a friend for the last 20+ years who does this for a living. He has covered every single base and there have been times that I have asked him if he was sure we needed to jump through a given hoop and in the end, he has been right in every case.

I am going to see about getting a camera mounted on something tall adjacent to the property and set it up for time lapse photos.

13. Likes bebop, mountie liked this post