California's taken away all my cleaners: any advice? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Surprising they haven't blocked out the Sun yet, all those deadly UV rays giving cancer. Did they outlaw Golfing yet?

2. Likes rj newbould liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Surprising they haven't blocked out the Sun yet, all those deadly UV rays giving cancer. Did they outlaw Golfing yet?
    In LA they have the smog to help...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Awesome cleaner, sold in Dollar Tree stores really is awesome. It takes off just about anything, available in regular and orange versions. It's won't thin paint, but it does remove gas varnish if you wait. It's my go to cleaner where brakleen or windex don't work. Great on filthy used machinery too. And it's only $1.

Bulk LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose Concentrated Cleaner Refills, 32 oz. at DollarTree.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just curious how long before Al Capone Jr. the 5th resurrects the organization of his great great grandfather and starts running all kinds of now banned cleaning agents to CA?
    And how long before Kalifornia erects an iron curtain with customs booths at each state entry point?

Just when do we say enough is enough? I thought the new spillproof gas cans were bad enough, but at least you can buy aftermarket spigots to counter that idiocy.
    Wondering if some of those meth labs ever turn into bootleg factories of cleaning agents?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just when do we say enough is enough? I thought the new spillproof gas cans were bad enough, but at least you can buy aftermarket spigots to counter that idiocy.
    Where? Please!

I was smuggling old style cans into PA from Ohio, but I think Ohio banned them too now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You would be surprised what you can ship via UPS.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea....what will you folks out there do when Gasoline goes "Aqueous"

There's less and less people doing DIY stuff, but i guess if you can't buy
    chemicals it pretty much ends that. Nothing left for you to do but play video games and watch TV during non working hours....and pay your taxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Where? Please!

I was smuggling old style cans into PA from Ohio, but I think Ohio banned them too now.
    Mud

I'm making the guess that the cans do need to comply with the regulations, but apparently that doesn't mean someone cannot sell just the spigots.
    From time to time, I find the harmonica looking nozzles popping up at local stores, most often at the power equipment retailers and oddly at lumber yards.
    They are often cheesy and gas eats dries/cracks them in a year or so, but still better than the dumbass stock nozzles. Tough I have the tools to drill all the guts out of them too ......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Where? Please!

Yes Ohio has banned them as well I hate the cans. Real PITA to full my Loader now. Its not "gas" so why the Bull crap new cans? ... And I wondered why someone ran off with my old nasty fuel cans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    Stuff like this is why God put Nevada next to California- get in the car and go for a ride-stock up and come back with what you need. I just read an article where the Stae of Ca is restricting almost 3000 "hazardous" chemicals.

If you think you have it bad, what are the poor guys with the meth labs going to do?
    Don't forget to get some light bulbs while you are on the smuggle run!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Can you believe that Isopropyl Alcohol made it on the list of these chemicals that we can no longer purchase here. Sure, you can buy the 70% or so variety from your drug store but I think you are referring to the 99% version which I also like to use sometimes.

Patrick
    Well that's what the still is for, the old one, don't put that isopropyol in the good shine making still.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cncbrit View Post
    Well that's what the still is for, the old one, don't put that isopropyol in the good shine making still.
    Remember that alcohol can't be distilled past ~80% pure, it bonds too well with water. You have to dry it by other means. I have a (watch) cleaning machine that has a built in distiller for the alcohol rinse- start with 99% but after some time it inevitably gets saturated down to 80%. Lots of easy techniques to get the water out, been meaning to try but here in Switzerland you can still get pure alcohol (ethanol too!) and just about any other chemical you can imagine at the local drugstore. They still believe that humans have common sense here- and the ones that don't are auto-regulating i.e. Darwin effect. Needless to say frivolous lawsuits are treated as just that and thrown out. Hope it lasts...

14. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default california pushes cancer

Quote Originally Posted by jhu003 View Post
    I think most of these regulations are a result of AB 32. It has had some real negative effects on businesses. Older trucking fleets had to be replaced, same with off-road diesel, and who knows how far this legislation goes. While a pain now, I think there will be some great innovation by the time this is over.

There is some precedent for this type of thing working...

1970 marked the first clean air act. From what I've heard, it cleaned up California dirtiest cities. By some accounts, California cities account for 8 of the top 10 most polluted cities in the U.S; accordingly, California is in a unique situation that doesn't necessarily apply to other states. But don't worry rest of the U.S., I'm sure the next Federal Clean Air Act will make it your local county in time.

It sounds like companies are already coming up with viable alternatives. Certainly a painful process now, but might be worth it in the end.

As for cleaning old parts, I use Simple Green. I just let it soak it in there a day or two.
    california's big push for clean air was forcing the gasoline to have MTBE placed in it. california was in process of forcing all gasoline in our United States of America to put MTBE in all gasoline, and higher levels of alcohol. It was found that MTBE was soaking into our groundwater and the chemicals inherent in it cause cancer and reproductive harm. After this was determined it still took california years to stop the MTBE from being a required additive in all gasoline.
    I have a son in Arizona. When I visit him I bring home a couple gallons of MEK and paint thinner. Being retired I do not require very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t worry, soon you won’t be able to buy gasoline or diesel in California cause they will make you crush your vehicles to buy electric ones. I really want to see a Cat D-10.

Question: why can’t you sandblast off paint as long as it’s not lead based?

17. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alcohol is easy to get. Go to Norm Rapp or any of the places that sell fuel for midgets or sprint cars. It's methanol but should work just about the same for cleaning.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I feel sorry for your situation, not sorry enough to tell you to move to Arizona. I am sick of all the out of staters moving here and ruining my hole in the ground. I see one after the other crapifornia license plates, I bet you when I'm on the road I could easily count per trip 30+ crapifornia plates minimum. Now thanks to the ass holes coming over here with there communist gestapo tactics whining about not doing anything for the environment my vehicle registration has been trippled and I have to do emissions now. I live in a rural area and have never had to do emissions in my life. Thanks crapifornians and the like, stay the hell out of Arizona. If you want to keep on your destructive ways just stay where your at.

For your cleaning problem you could try using freon, they'd get a kick out of that, ha.

20. Likes SND, Ox, drom68 liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Alcohol is easy to get. Go to Norm Rapp or any of the places that sell fuel for midgets or sprint cars. It's methanol but should work just about the same for cleaning.
    Methanol for general purpose cleaning..good luck with that in California.
    Yuck. I'm not safety Nazi when it comes to solvents but I wouldn't wash my hands with methanol.

22. Likes SND, PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about a ultrasonic cleaner anyone had experience with them are they any good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by azmachining View Post

For your cleaning problem you could try using freon, they'd get a kick out of that, ha.
    We used to use freon to clean parts before inspecting them up till somewhere around 1990 when Cali took it away.
    Since I worked in manufacturing in Cali since 1977 I definitely remember all the suffering trying to find alternatives to cleaning products as they kept taking them away. Some of the items came and went and hit the industrial market before they were properly tested and didn't even have adequate warning labels. We got into stuff that corroded parts, stained them and cased serious skin issues. We had some stuff that was supposed to be ok for skin contact cause people to break out in hives.

This thread was bumped from 2011. I thought it was strange I had no old posts in it as the over the top regulations in Cali got under my skin. The reason I wasn't posting is I was traveling back and forth setting up shop in Virginia as I was escaping Cali. They should build a wall, on the border with them and Arizona on the east and on the border with Oregon on the north, then let Mexico have it back.

25. Likes Garwood, Ox, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Purple Power either full-strength or diluted with water in an ultrasonic bath.