California's taken away all my cleaners: any advice? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I posted a rant several years ago about a commercial degreaser that I used for everything. It was made by Scotts and contained a fair percentage of orange oil which is a VOC. Scotts reformulated the product because they were afraid that a $10.00 an hour shipping clerk would accidentally ship some to Calfornia and they would be sued. The Scotts' substitute did not work worth a flip and cost me about $10,000 in scrap parts.
    Have you noticed how many other products that contain orange oil have been changed or eliminated?
    A bunch of questions could be asked about this absurdity. Is the consumer better off now? He is using less effective or more dangerous products. Is the environment improved if orange peels compost outside the OJ plants and the orange oil volatizes? At least California will get to keep some of their VOCs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    not at 4100 feet there isnt- its in the Willamette Valley, which averages very close to Sea Level. Salem is at a whopping 154' .
    Geography trumps fantasy every time.
    4100 ft is the tallest point. There's plenty in the 1000-2000 ft range.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm surprised they haven't tried to outlaw Elbow Grease yet. It causes the majority of long term injuries. Not to mention all of the people out there who are deathly allergic to it.

4. Likes Ox, BoxcarPete, SND, Scottl, Dualkit and 4 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

California: " We may have very slightly lowered cancer rates by banning everything useful "

Bubonic Plague: "Hey California I'm back baby!! oh btw nice to see people are still sh*tting on the street 700years after I last visited"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    California: " We may have very slightly lowered cancer rates by banning everything useful "

Bubonic Plague: "Hey California I'm back baby!! oh btw nice to see people are still sh*tting on the street 700years after I last visited"
    Yeah, ironic that in a state that is so fanatical about the environment the EPA is going after San Francisco over the pollution caused by runoff from human waste getting into the storm drains.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Yeah, ironic that in a state that is so fanatical about the environment the EPA is going after San Francisco over the pollution caused by runoff from human waste getting into the storm drains.
    Yabut... Waste management is so pedestrian. How do you prove that you are making PROGRESS if you spend time and effort to properly do things that you already know are helpful? You can't send a strong enough signal if it isn't attached to some new virtue!

Reminds me of the philosophical musings of one of my favorite authors. He posited that we as humans give so much more attention to the first one to do something, not the thing itself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does California allow Everclear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a heads up to others here in Ca. Tractor Supply has a cleaning solvent they say is for use in "wash tanks". Come in 5 gal pails and works pretty much the same as good old Stoddard solvent. Its not at all like the fake "paint thinner" that is now available. It is about $40 for 5 gal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    Just a heads up to others here in Ca. Tractor Supply has a cleaning solvent they say is for use in "wash tanks". Come in 5 gal pails and works pretty much the same as good old Stoddard solvent. Its not at all like the fake "paint thinner" that is now available. It is about $40 for 5 gal.
    Is this the parts washer solvent you like?
    Crown PSC 1000 Parts Cleaner, 5 gal. at Tractor Supply Co.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have a Harbor Freight Tools close by? They have a degreaser that comes in a gallon jug. It's greenish/yellow (my wife says it's chartreuse) goes for about 10 buck/gallon.
    Use gloves as this will take all of the oils from your skin just like MEK.

I hope this will help you.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I hope they sue the bastards to death. US cities are the cheapest sons of bitches on the planet. You can't walk two blocks in China without passing a public toilet but in the US ? "Oh noooo, the homeless might use it ! They cost too much ! Winos and derelicts go there ! People shoot up inside !"

This from a city that happily pissed away millions of dollars on the America's Cup and handed Larry Ellison best butt-buddy terms for life on several city properties, like he's too poor to pay full price. They piss away money like water but "can't afford" public restrooms.

They deserve the shit on the streets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What happened to the self cleaning public toilets they were going to build everywhere in SF?
    Bil lD

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As an ex-Califronian all locations have different regulations. When I was back in Riverside I had a customer inside the city limits. His options were Mirachem and Safety Clean plus they needed to be serviced by an approved source with records kept on file. The fire department would walk in unannounced almost on a monthly basis and check the records plus look for any other chemicals he wasn't supposed to have.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    The fire department would walk in unannounced almost on a monthly basis and check the records plus look for any other chemicals he wasn't supposed to have.
    I shut the door. When they get a warrant, they can come in.

Did that more than once.

16. Likes Leadfootin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you don't mind spending a little Stoddard Solvent is also sold by places like Skygeek as MIL-PRF-7024 and is used to simulate Jet fuel when testing aircraft engine parts. Maybe you can sneak some of that into the state? Makes me wonder I know there are some FAA repair stations still left in the state which are using the stuff in their test stands I wonder how they get it in? It isn't really sold as a cleaning fluid (but it works perfectly as one) just a VOC which is pumped around and or sprayed to test various engine parts. Is that still ok in California?

How does that work when the FAA says you need to use a chemical to fix/ test a part of an aircraft does California just tell you to take your business to another state?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Use a scrub brush and scrub away, then wipe up with a rag and properly dispose of it in accordance with CA regulations. Why do you ask for assistance?

Charge extra, just don't forget to pay more taxes.

As for the black market being created by the restrictive rules and regulations, that's what happens in a controlling environment. DO NOT be a part of it! lol.... You need another law to prevent this from happening.

Just about every product I buy now has a CA Proposition 65 warning. I bought an end mill and it had the warning... Glad I never had the desire to live in CA or NY City.

NOTE: Do Not Move to another state. Deal with what you voted for.

19. Likes Ox, digger doug, wheels17 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't tried to outlaw Elbow Grease yet. It causes the majority of long term injuries. Not to mention all of the people out there who are deathly allergic to it.
    You are not familiar with all the wacky liberal policies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob- pretty sure that's the stuff, but I will confirm tomorrow. Also a friend with a hydraulic shop swears by Oil Eater and you can buy it pretty much anywhere. I think he gets it at Costco or Walmart.

22. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just go to the liquor store and get a jug or 2 of everclear. Bout as pure ethyl alcohol as one can get and itll work as good as 90% isoproypal/ denatured alcohol.
    + its safe enough to drink...

I *Almost* talked the boss into getting me a jug for cleaning some parts... I had them up until the "go to the liquor store..." part.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    Just go to the liquor store and get a jug or 2 of everclear. Bout as pure ethyl alcohol as one can get and itll work as good as 90% isoproypal/ denatured alcohol.
    + its safe enough to drink...

I *Almost* talked the boss into getting me a jug for cleaning some parts... I had them up until the " I'll go to the liquor store..." part.
    fixed it for ya.....

25. Likes Ox, alan speyrer liked this post