Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This old thread merited being continued. Yes, in California treehugging, in the most pejorative sense of the word, is public policy. The place is pretty much the produce export center of the USA—thanks to irrigation purloined from northern lands, plus cheap migrant stoop labor (notwithstanding the occasional e. coli contamination of said produce owing to said stoop labor using the fields like San Francisco's homeless use sidewalks). And of course there's the wealth creation of the software moguls, which allows CA to squander insane amounts of revenue on dumb shit like the train to nowhere (sorry, Bakersfield residents). But to me, the interesting question is whether CA can afford, in the long run, to drive all metalworking industry out of the state. I think it's entirely possible that they can, and further, that the state government is not only aware of the possibility but would be perfectly fine with it. From the results thus far, an objective observer would have to conclude that a small-manufacturing-business exodus has been actively instigated and promoted by the state government for several decades. If you were to put that proposition to a CA legislator you'd probably just get a blank look (or maybe a smile and a nod, if he/she/xe sees you're wearing Birkenstocks).

Rolling blackouts sound like a third world country, and in most areas would be a wakeup call, but in CA the only people affected are those bourgeois exploiters of the proletariat who need power to actually make stuff, and they are a shrunken minority with zero voting power. Will that trend continue? Yeah, probably for the next 50 years. But so what? Other states will welcome the machine shops.

2. Likes Graham Gott, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Rolling blackouts sound like a third world country, and in most areas would be a wakeup call, but in CA the only people affected are those bourgeois exploiters of the proletariat who need power to actually make stuff, and they are a shrunken minority with zero voting power. Will that trend continue? Yeah, probably for the next 50 years. But so what? Other states will welcome the machine shops.
    3f2vsr.jpg
    ----------

4. Likes Graham Gott, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As goofy as it may sound I've been using Pine-Sol for a couple of years to clean that funky green slime (decomposing ethanol) out of carburetor float bowls where nothing else worked. I just did a small batch of 23 HHCS's from the oil pan on a 21 year old car. They were oily and a soak overnight in a 50/50 solution degreased them nicely. Attention to time for zinc die cast parts should be heeded as it will start to dissolve some "pot metal" surfaces. Wash off with water and hit with something to displace the water so no rust starts. It may adversely affect rubber and plastic, I haven't tried it yet. It's cheap, available, and hasn't been banned yet. I thought it sounded goofy too until I tried it. Hope this helps someone.

6. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    Just go to the liquor store and get a jug or 2 of everclear. Bout as pure ethyl alcohol as one can get and itll work as good as 90% isoproypal/ denatured alcohol.
    + its safe enough to drink...

I *Almost* talked the boss into getting me a jug for cleaning some parts... I had them up until the "go to the liquor store..." part.
    And neither one is worth a shit for cleaning oils from parts, plus the isopropyl is extremely toxic, including the vapor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Using a soap solution a bit of washing soda reduces the tendency to rust. it leaves a fine powder on the surface... yes it is good to follow washing and drying with a coat of oil...
    Washing soda also makes a a decent coolant ..but with the part getting hot it can turn into a hard plastic like film ..that may be washed off with water but then losing the anti rust aspect..

Not baking soda or baking powder...

Drones fly around in the bars looking for bar spills... they have mop sniffing dogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    This old thread merited being continued. Yes, in California treehugging, in the most pejorative sense of the word, is public policy. The place is pretty much the produce export center of the USA—thanks to irrigation purloined from northern lands, plus cheap migrant stoop labor (notwithstanding the occasional e. coli contamination of said produce owing to said stoop labor using the fields like San Francisco's homeless use sidewalks). And of course there's the wealth creation of the software moguls, which allows CA to squander insane amounts of revenue on dumb shit like the train to nowhere (sorry, Bakersfield residents). But to me, the interesting question is whether CA can afford, in the long run, to drive all metalworking industry out of the state. I think it's entirely possible that they can, and further, that the state government is not only aware of the possibility but would be perfectly fine with it. From the results thus far, an objective observer would have to conclude that a small-manufacturing-business exodus has been actively instigated and promoted by the state government for several decades. If you were to put that proposition to a CA legislator you'd probably just get a blank look (or maybe a smile and a nod, if he/she/xe sees you're wearing Birkenstocks).

They may very well be driving machine shops out. I flew out there once to look at an HLV-H and the sales man told me the same thing 25 years ago. We drove by the Skunk Works building as it was being torn down.
    Their laws are making it more difficult to stay in business in the rest of the country. Useful products that are illegal to be sold in California are being dropped because manufacturers are afraid that an $8.00 an hour shipping clerk may accidentally ship a banned product to California and they will be sued. National law makers from the state also try to impose there ideas on the rest of the country.