What's new
What's new

CARES act we hate you.

Scruffy887

Titanium
Yup, got funded and need to put employees back on payroll. They are not happy at all. All make more with the 600 extra and cannot see down the road where it runs out. And I do have work for them.

One local business furloughed about half their workers. Half way through the furlough the company needed a few more people to come in. They started calling people starting with the most senior person on the furlough list.

Nearly all declined the offer. I heard most of the furloughed people said they would make just as much not working when you added the $600 to normal unemployment.

Some people mentioned moral hazard when CARES was going through Congress. I think we're seeing some of that.

yes they have the Jobkeeper payment here, i suppose unemployment benefits were too low....so they upped it called it a new name, apparently our stimulus is one of the largest on a percentage of GDP.

Once the time runs out on it, i suppose they aren't weaned off it, just cut off then things will get interesting if the economy is not up to speed where it should be.

Yup, got funded and need to put employees back on payroll. They are not happy at all. All make more with the 600 extra and cannot see down the road where it runs out. And I do have work for them.

Glad I'm... what? 26 years in the rear-view mirror away from direct supervision even of Director-level.

A younger me had a Standard Line for the "reluctant":

Are you available for a few days to assist with training your replacement, then?

And that was only for the GOOD ones.

Life's too short to carry 'em on the back of better team-players. Never mind yer OWN!

"Moral issue"? Not really.

Simpler than that. Reliability at being "fit for a purpose", rather.

Yah replace burnt-out light-bulbs, broken windows, bad brakes, split hoses, bald tires, and refill empty fuel tanks, doncha?

"Fit for a purpose" .... until it's the whole TEAM they are willing to imperil, not just the "boss" or the bizness?

That's fit for nothing.

And.. "Oh, by the way?"

It's on MANAGEMENT that sort were ever there to begin with.
Or that you cannot readily motivate them, and have not... already.

No mercy, Pilgrim. JFDWT.

It's what we pay ourselves for. Directly. Or otherwise.

:(

They cant see when the money runs out ..and the shop gone bust ..there is no money...

But if not for it being a China virus...We could just run on free China borrowed money until they own our country and give us the boot.

But if not for it being a Chima virus...We could just run on free China borrowed money until they own our country and give us the boot.

likely we owe them a couple states now...

Cant see when the money runs out ..and the shop gone bust ..there is no money...

But if not for it being a China virus...We could just run on free China borrowed money until they own our country and give us the boot.

But if not for it being a Chima virus...We could just run on free China borrowed money until they own our country and give us the boot.

A long-gone mentor had slogged through the War Two campaign in the Pacific - Manila to Australia and back. Papua New Guinea, they had locals as "scouts" who had eaten human flesh.

Said he was told the meat of the arm was the best cut. Called a human's meat "long pig" in their native language.

And China the world's oldest, largest, and hungriest consumer of PORK?

"Boot"?

Or BBQ spit?

:(

if on layoff someone refused to come back to work, that should be grounds for termination with cause. Here if the firing is for cause or what they call misconduct, of which absence is on the list, they could be denied unemployment.

The dynamic you guys are talking about, too lucrative a safety net that is a real disincentive, is the norm here. Several times I've tried to hire guys I knew were on unemployment only to be told, nah, I want the summer off. I should have reported them, that would be the right thing to do, but its kind of not in my DNA to have contact with the gov if I don't have to.

One man shop here, mostly. What's the extra $600 you speak of?

Federal. BUT it is wonky, at least in FL. Wife got here second $600 payment, first time I think was direct deposit, second was a paper check... or maybe that was state unemployment... dunno except it is screwy. :confused:

BTW, pretty sure if someone declines to come back to work they are at risk at losing their unemployment bennies (state AND federal)...

I should also mention again, I am someone that would not make more sitting on my ass collecting... So maybe the question is what types of skilled(?) people you have that make more sitting at home...:scratchchin:

And it depends on each state which probably complicates it even more. In FL max state bennies are $275/week and we have a pretty high cost of living so it seems extra light... in the mean time, NJ (which is probably high cost of living, but I am ass-u-ming) is $696/week + $600 fed and that is probably(?) more than most people make...

My sister has been out of work since early March and still has not received a stimulus check OR unemployment... two sides to every story. :cryin:

Unemployment Benefits Comparison by State - FileUnemployment.org

If you fire or lay people off,you have to pay the money off

I notice the one person with personal experience here, the people did return to work, but are grumbling about it.

In my case there is the understanding that both the UE will run out and that there needs to be a job to come back to

I did also walk them through the process before I even applied for the loan

Getting buy in is important to get people to act against their immediate short term interest

One man shop here, mostly. What's the extra $600 you speak of?

Neil, the max unemployment thru State of NH is around $427 (IIRC), that money is paid by employers thru a tax of payable wages. The extra $600 fed money is kicked in from the Cares Act and does not add to the employers tax. So unemployment pay now can be over $1000 per week depending on what was paid to employee. The other item changed is Unemployment was 26 weeks and they changed to max 39 weeks.
There are changes now allowing UI payments for self employed individuals if they can show they have been effected by Covid-19 financially.
We have not been effected (knocking on wood)yet, and am not going after this “Free” money from Cares Act. Our shop is working like the devil at this time, no problem finding work, cash flow is good, hopefully no one gets sick here.
My guys have friends making more money on UI payments, I understand the hardships out there but I can’t see this is good for the country if it keeps them out unnecessarily.

The cares act kept our USA economy running..but did cost a bundle of money / now we need to go back to work and stay safe doing that...

China is depenent on world food and China manufacturing is paying for that.
At .2 acre per person china would produce about 360 pounds of kidney beans per person, and just feed its people..Pinto beans about 600 lb so a surplus to feed some non farmers.

This printed at 2015..
But while Chinese consumer’s tastes have shifted, the nation’s farmers haven’t been able to keep up with demand. That’s not likely to change anytime soon.

Despite its vast size, China is land poor — with only 20 acres of arable land per 100 people — according to the World Bank.

The result is a boom in demand for food imports that has been a windfall for U.S. farmers.

The cares act kept our USA economy running..but did cost a bundle of money / now we need to go back to work and stay safe doing that...

China is depenent on world food and China manufacturing is paying for that.

This printed at 2015..
But while Chinese consumer’s tastes have shifted, the nation’s farmers haven’t been able to keep up with demand. That’s not likely to change anytime soon.

Despite its vast size, China is land poor — with only 20 acres of arable land per 100 people — according to the World Bank.

The result is a boom in demand for food imports that has been a windfall for U.S. farmers.

if you been on a bus in China you'd see a lot of farm land and land that could be farm land, farmers don't make much money thats why younger people look for jobs in the cities. plus farm girls will tell you about coming out of a rice paddy and picking the leeches off that are sucking blood. just saying farming not a easy job. farmer markets in China have a lot of food or at I least never saw any food shortages

if you been on a bus in China you'd see a lot of farm land and land that could be farm land, farmers don't make much money thats why younger people look for jobs in the cities. plus farm girls will tell you about coming out of a rice paddy and picking the leeches off that are sucking blood. just saying farming not a easy job. farmer markets in China have a lot of food or at I least never saw any food shortages

Agree that food seems abundant now but not in the early 60S
China's Great Famine: the true story | World news | The Guardian

I've never understood the $600. If you notify the employee to return to work and they refuse to come back aren't you supposed to notify the state unemployment department? Either way you are in a unfortunate position.

I've never understood the $600. If you notify the employee to return to work and they refuse to come back aren't you supposed to notify the state unemployment department? Either way you are in a unfortunate position.

The $600 is Federal from what I understand. I have heard many a story on the internet about people making more money on unemployment than working because of the federal $600 a week bonus plus state money and getting pissed when being called back to work. How paying people more to not work than to work is a good idea is beyond me.

If the jobs aren't highly skilled and with people who won't have jobs to come back to I think they should be easily replaced. Even if highly skilled, I am pretty sure plenty of sectors will be damaged for many years to come and turn out quite a few people needing work.

Back