What's new
What's new

Changes to the MSC site?

yoke

Hot Rolled
What is going on with the MSC website? I can narrow my search on anything?

Is anyone else having a problem?

I can't answer directly but I can say this. I always start with McMaster Carr, even though I know that they are not always the cheapest and it's hard to tell the brand. But it's so easy to find things (better than any other website I've ever used), place an order and get it shipped. Very good product documentation that can be easily uploaded into my CAD system. They also respond quickly to issues through their contact form (e.g. modify an order that I just placed). Bottom line: their easy website saves me enough time to justify not going to a another site. If I'm buying something expensive, I might look on eBay but I better save at least $1/minute for the time I spent or it's not worth it (e.g. I found a rotary welding ground for much cheaper, saved about $100 over 5 minutes of looking).

So here's what I can say about MSC - their website has always been much less efficient at finding things for hardware, materials, simpler tools, etc. I spend way too much time looking for things. Now I do buy from them on occasion, but mostly in their sales brochures that I receive in the mail and see "Wow, good price on that DeWalt drill!" while I'm waiting TV.

I haven't been on their site recently but just want to offer up that perhaps it's better to use McMaster, but depends to some extent on what you're shopping for.

The Dude

I can't answer directly but I can say this. I always start with McMaster Carr, even though I know that they are not always the cheapest and it's hard to tell the brand. But it's so easy to find things (better than any other website I've ever used), place an order and get it shipped. Very good product documentation that can be easily uploaded into my CAD system. They also respond quickly to issues through their contact form (e.g. modify an order that I just placed). Bottom line: their easy website saves me enough time to justify not going to a another site. If I'm buying something expensive, I might look on eBay but I better save at least $1/minute for the time I spent or it's not worth it (e.g. I found a rotary welding ground for much cheaper, saved about $100 over 5 minutes of looking).

So here's what I can say about MSC - their website has always been much less efficient at finding things for hardware, materials, simpler tools, etc. I spend way too much time looking for things. Now I do buy from them on occasion, but mostly in their sales brochures that I receive in the mail and see "Wow, good price on that DeWalt drill!" while I'm waiting TV.

I haven't been on their site recently but just want to offer up that perhaps it's better to use McMaster, but depends to some extent on what you're shopping for.

The Dude

Back when dialup was the connection, McMaster Carr would load fast. Even as you typed in the search window, quick flow down selections would be displayed.
MSC was into java script, and animation to make some sort of visual entertainment. I came there to find an item, not to be annoyed waiting for it to load.
Now I can't even see the MSC website, as I have cookie blockers and advertisement blockers in place. And I can get what I need anywhere else that does not have snotty nosed kids in the web development department, as that's the real problem with online storefronts.

What is going on with the MSC website? I can narrow my search on anything?

Is anyone else having a problem?

I have noticed some weird things going on with the site this week. I just looked at screw machine length drills, and the wire and letter sizes seem to be sorted randomly. Maybe it's not random, but I can't figure out their new system.

Not to be a jerk, but who cares? They are a vendor of last resort for me, screw them.

I used to feel the same way. Used to............

May again someday.
But, after you connect with a decent rep. Get coded in to some decent discounts. Take advantage of the shipping upgrade (not as good as it was, no fault of theirs).
Then most importantly, factor in the value of your time! MSC is not anywhere near as bad as they used to be.

I have been using MSC since 1993. I pretty much only use them for drills, taps, reamers. So easy to select what I am looking for. Just have to check the boxes on the left to narrow my search to what I want and within seconds I have everything in front of me to chose from.

Also have great shipping options and are listed at checkout to chose from.

I was trying to get a price on something from mcmaster and I accidently ordered a reamer trying to get a shipping price. I had to call them and cancel the order because I was just trying to get a total cost before purchasing. I could not get a final price on Mcmasters web site at check out.

I guess everyone has their own preferences. MSC has been great for me and will continue to be great for me.

Not to be a jerk, but who cares? ...

Two thumbs up!

I used to feel the same way. Used to............

May again someday.
But, after you connect with a decent rep. Get coded in to some decent discounts. Take advantage of the shipping upgrade (not as good as it was, no fault of theirs).

Been trying to get a rep and discounts for 30 years - never a reply, can't get the time of day. Gave up. They do have a great selection, just wicked overpriced. The web came along at just the right time.

You must be doing some serious volume with them. Good on you. But I'll bet if you shopped harder, you could do way better elsewhere, unless you're getting 50% plus off.

... MSC, not ... as bad as they used to be.

A rather tepid endorsement. Imagine that as their company slogan.

So is hell, cooled by 10 degrees.

Fahrenheit.

Been trying to get a rep and discounts for 30 years - never a reply, can't get the time of day. Gave up. They do have a great selection, just wicked overpriced. The web came along at just the right time.

You must be doing some serious volume with them. Good on you. But I'll bet if you shopped harder, you could do way better elsewhere, unless you're getting 50% plus off.

I get about 20~30% of cutting tools.

In red ^^^^^ Again, what is your time worth?

I do check stuff occasionally. It is not very often I can do better. Unless it is an ebay thing that just happens to be exactly what I'm looking for.
Especially when my time is factored in.

I hate to seem like I'm "sticking up" for MSC. There was a day when I considered them the devil.
But, last couple years? They have more than made sense.

We get something like 25% off list price, as a small business. The over $50 dollars free shipping and next day upgrade is nice.

Their "Value Line" cutting tools are junk, I accidentally ordered something not realizing it was made in China garbage. But the USA made Hertal and Accupro have been solid and priced well.

The McMaster website is awesome, way better than MSC and just about every other site.

I don't think MSC sucks, but it's not great................it's meh................but a few seconds on my computer, coupla clicks and it will be on my step the next day. With the discount it's usually +/- a few bucks of anywhere else and I don't have to pay shipping...............even for overnight.

I get about 20~30% of cutting tools.

In red ^^^^^ Again, what is your time worth?...Especially when my time is factored in.

I hate to seem like I'm "sticking up" for MSC. There was a day when I considered them the devil.
But, last couple years? They have more than made sense.

My time is worth $60/hr, at least, that's what I price it at. Only slightly more time to order on eBay than MSC.

A couple months ago, I broke an endmill and realized the backup was dull, so needed a couple endmills, fast. McCarr didn't have what I wanted, I ordered from MSC at $30+ and $40+, figuring they'd get it here in 2 days (they usually do, but never guaranteed). Kicked myself the next morning, shopped on eBay, ordered from California at $13 each, free shipping, wondering when the hell that was going to arrive, but didn't matter that much, it's a recurring job, I'll use them eventually, the MSC order will arrive soon. Got the news that afternoon that both MSC em's are back ordered, will ship direct from the factory and are 4 days out.

The eBay order arrives in 3 days, work really well.The MSC endmills arrive separately a week later, 2 shipping charges.

So yeah, my time is worth something. I spent $26 on eBay and 5 more minutes of initial work and saved about $75 over the MSC order. That was worth it. And as it turned out, I ended up saving time, too, since MSC put both orders on open account (not what I asked for) and sent two separate bills.

Brand name screws in volume are something I'll order from them again, but I'll look pretty hard elsewhere beforehand.

The McMaster website is awesome, way better than MSC and just about every other site.

"just about every other site." If there is a site better than McMaster's including their e-mail response time, I would love to see a link.

My time is worth $60/hr, at least, that's what I price it at. Only slightly more time to order on eBay than MSC.

A couple months ago, I broke an endmill and realized the backup was dull, so needed a couple endmills, fast. McCarr didn't have what I wanted, I ordered from MSC at $30+ and $40+, figuring they'd get it here in 2 days (they usually do, but never guaranteed). Kicked myself the next morning, shopped on eBay, ordered from California at $13 each, free shipping, wondering when the hell that was going to arrive, but didn't matter that much, it's a recurring job, I'll use them eventually, the MSC order will arrive soon. Got the news that afternoon that both MSC em's are back ordered, will ship direct from the factory and are 4 days out.

The eBay order arrives in 3 days, work really well.The MSC endmills arrive separately a week later, 2 shipping charges.

So yeah, my time is worth something. I spent $26 on eBay and 5 more minutes of initial work and saved about $75 over the MSC order. That was worth it. And as it turned out, I ended up saving time, too, since MSC put both orders on open account (not what I asked for) and sent two separate bills.

Brand name screws in volume are something I'll order from them again, but I'll look pretty hard elsewhere beforehand.

I consider my time worth a variable.I usually do Ebay browsing or internet tool ordering after I have closed down the shop, unless of course it is extremely urgent. Most of the time I am online shopping I am not taking time away from paying work, so I figure that time wasn't worth much.

I don't think I have had an issue with a back order delivery.................it's either in stock or not. And the web site seems to be accurate with out of stock items so I know going into it that I'll get it late or need to order a similar item that will work................though lately there has been more and more stuff on back order. But that is a recent common occurrence with all of my vendors, not just MSC.

Never had to pay 2 shipping charges either....................if I order $25 or more it's free. Less than $25 and two items are shipped at different times or from different places, the base $12.79 shipping charge is split between the items.

If you don't do enough business with them, you won't see the perks. Every vendor is like that though. The more you "spend", the more you "save".

If you don't do enough business with them, you won't see the perks

That's the bottom line right there. Automatic 30% off catalog price, free shipping over $99, free upgrade to next day air if you ask. No time to waste on ebay, or waiting for the ebay seller to ship.

And any time you buy the lowest-priced tool you shouldn't expect it to be usable.

"just about every other site." If there is a site better than McMaster's including their e-mail response time, I would love to see a link.

I'm not aware of a better, easier to navigate site, but that's doesn't mean it can't exist.

Back to MSC- DavidN gets free shipping over $25, I get free shipping over $50, and OldWrench is at $99. I wonder if it is actually related to volume, or some kind of random assignment.

I'm not aware of a better, easier to navigate site, but that's doesn't mean it can't exist.

Back to MSC- DavidN gets free shipping over $25, I get free shipping over $50, and OldWrench is at $99. I wonder if it is actually related to volume, or some kind of random assignment.

I do not know what gets me free shipping. I spend maybe 50-100 bucks a month with them and never pay more than 12.79 for shipping. Even if the items come from 3 dif locations. Free overnight shipping upgrades on website (on phone if I ask for it).

I get about 20-25% off list. Most Drills, Taps, Reamers are from the same companies. They are going to cost the same no matter where I purchase them (Name Brands).

This is what I get for spending 1000-2000 bucks a year with them.

If I am looking for something and it takes too much of my time I tell myself to just order it and a guy will walk through the door in 24 hours and hand it directly to me. That is what saves me time and money.

I would imagine that distance to the closest warehouse would be the logical main field in the shipping fee equazsion.

How quick you typically pay may be another?

I don't deal with them often, but I have had an account since the time when it was Manhattan Supply Co, and the chick that answered the phone was certainly from NYC proper, or just over the river in Joisey with that signature accent!

Then went Atlanta...

Then Elkhart.
Elkhart is a super cache to have as they are only 2 hours away, and they have something in stock there that will git'chew out of trouble, and you can run and fetch it today!

Now there is one in Columbus, but that is 3-4 hours away likely.
Never been there.
Not sure what value there is in Columbus as there doesn't appear to be Jack Diddly for MFGing there at all.
???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back