Changes to the MSC site? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it's in stock in Harrisburg, it's 2-3 days delivery to VT. (Just for reference, McCarr, in NJ, is usually overnight if I order in the morning, sometimes 2 days.)

Back when I was spending $2K/year with MSC (late '80s, early '90s) I paid every week. Now, right at 30 days.

The em's from eBay were YSG, and worked very well for me. Haven't used the MSC em's yet, they arrived later, I used what I had.

I understand that it may take more time to buy from eBay, but shop income is based on selling my time at $60/hr. If I spend 1/2hr and save $30, that's better for the bottom line than $30 income.

So spending 15 minutes more, if that, and saving $30 is well worth shopping around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you'd like contact info for a rep you can call or email directly, drop me a PM.

3. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I miss J&L.

5. Likes charlie gary, Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I would imagine that distance to the closest warehouse would be the logical main field in the shipping fee equazsion.

How quick you typically pay may be another?

I don't deal with them often, but I have had an account since the time when it was Manhattan Supply Co, and the chick that answered the phone was certainly from NYC proper, or just over the river in Joisey with that signature accent!

Then went Atlanta...

Then Elkhart.
    Elkhart is a super cache to have as they are only 2 hours away, and they have something in stock there that will git'chew out of trouble, and you can run and fetch it today!

Now there is one in Columbus, but that is 3-4 hours away likely.
    Never been there.
    Not sure what value there is in Columbus as there doesn't appear to be Jack Diddly for MFGing there at all.
    ???

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I used to work in the industrial park that the Elkhart MSC was in. Stopped by there about once a week as the y hard scratch and dent sales all the time. Picked up an Albrecht (?) sensitive feed drill for $10. Bought lots of stuff from them until they got in trouble. Story I heard was they were claiming the losses for those items then turning around and selling them.

On another note, just checked prices on threaded studs and flange nuts from MSC and Mcmaster. MSC was half the price!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I admittedly haven't been the one placing orders for a little while but thought it was different when I was looking up part numbers.

I like them for the ease of finding everything in one place. The slightly elevated costs on some products are countered by not having to look all over. We do quite a bit of business with both MSC and McMaster every year.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was ordering items at least once a week with MSC, then they wanted me to order online...AKA- phone support became slow and lousy.

I'd whittle my way through the options and find what I needed most of the time. Then slowly they "improved" the site to the point is just a pain in the royal arse to find what I need.
    Yes the filters can be great "when" they work...I love the in-stock till you order and they come up as not in stock, limited quantity or shipping from elsewhere some day...just not today.

I love the next day option that you MUST select or it comes in 2 days...hell they are so overpriced I only order from them these days when I NEED it tomorrow. Thenat that point I look at Mcmaster, for a few extra bucks I find what I need immediatley, order and its it automatic Next Day, morning delivery at No Extra Charge.

I have been approached by MSC sales team who try to "win Back" my business with better discounts "IF" I call them. Hell I don't have several days to play pricing games, give me a good discount, next day delivery at a reasonable cost, let me find what I need and you'll have my business. Sorry, we can only provide X discount without calling. OK Got it...thanks and good bye

9. Likes kb0thn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hell I don't have several days to play pricing games,
    Blue light specials are awesome at K-Mart.. But they suck in the business
    world.

Edit: I do appreciate when Maritool does one of his 5% deals, that's cool.

But 35% because you ordered on Wednesday night instead of Thursday
    morning. That's BS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    If you'd like contact info for a rep you can call or email directly, drop me a PM.
    Thanks for the offer. Your pm inbox seems to be full.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Thanks for the offer. Your pm inbox seems to be full.

Neil
    PM Sent. (Is not ten characters long)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    PM Sent. (Is not ten characters long)

Did you try appealing to the site software that you are enough of a character to carry the difference?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

14. Likes red beard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Story I heard was they were claiming the losses for those items then turning around and selling them.
    whats wrong with that, provided the sale was revenue from the sale was recorded? Cost $200, write off $200, sell it for $20 and record the 20 as rev (as a recovery). Net tax shelter 180. Seems legit
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-18-2021 at 11:11 AM.