CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    I like the idea of 8 5s
    Aw, that's crazy. With two one hour coffee breaks and a lunch break, and how much do you think I'll get done in a day? Even on a good 8 hour day, I wonder where all the time goes, when I'm busy, it just flies by.

2. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Aw, that's crazy. With two one hour coffee breaks and a lunch break, and how much do you think I'll get done in a day? Even on a good 8 hour day, I wonder where all the time goes, when I'm busy, it just flies by.
    "Come in Late, Leave early"
    What could be wrong with that ?
    Miss the rush hour traffic at both ends.

4. Likes HuFlungDung, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Steel mill in nearby Youngstown last month, was having an "On air job fair",
    had allot of positions to fill, went into detail on each one.

They work "Four twelves".

That is 4, twelve hour days, 4 days off, then 4 twelve hour nights.
    The scrap mills in this area work the same schedule. It allows you to have 4 crews to cover a 24 hour schedule. They make good money here, $60,000ish to start, $100,000+ working the pulpits, but you earn it. The people I know that work there don't seem to have an issue with the swing shift, I couldn't do it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Smith View Post
    The scrap mills in this area work the same schedule. It allows you to have 4 crews to cover a 24 hour schedule. They make good money here, $60,000ish to start, $100,000+ working the pulpits, but you earn it. The people I know that work there don't seem to have an issue with the swing shift, I couldn't do it.
    Note the aforementioned place was $19 an hour....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Once in a while, I'll work a 10 hour day. I hate it. I'm the boss. I wouldn't impose that on anyone. 12 hour shift: you're totally used up and useless to yourself and your family.

If there are going to be long shifts like that, then management had better be around just as many hours, so they can feel the same effects on their lives.
    I'd be curious to see the hours worked by shop owners on this forum...
    10 hour day is pretty much normal with most days closer to 12...

8. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    I'd be curious to see the hours worked by shop owners on this forum...
    10 hour day is pretty much normal with most days closer to 12...
    with daylight savings being over, it's dark when I get here and dark when I leave.

10. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    with daylight savings being over, it's dark when I get here and dark when I leave.
    twelve hour days I understand. Right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From a management perspective; what kind of chaos and madness would come of splitting up a shop between 8/5's and 4/10's? Let whoever wants to work which ever shift do it, provided all needed aspects of the workforce are covered. Same idea's regarding loss of productivity/ employees screwing off sort of thing?
    If I understand corporate jargon right this would be like the idea of flextime?

I will also add we are about 50/50 welding and machine shop. We normally only have 1 shift but have had extended overtime at points and weird schedules due to panicked customer emergencies. Those are usually the fun ones...
    Also our machining side is about 50/50 manual and CNC, small batch production and annoying/slightly fussy work on the CNC and the "fun" one off repair/ super fussy jobs on the manual side. All of this is just what I see, I am not privy to all of the details. Most of the time I find these things out because I'm involved in the project/part and work directly with the machinists. I weld it, they carve it or vice versa. Same for the sheet metal fabrication guys.
    Thank you all for the replies
    Clif

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Oh, 12 hrs. Down to working half days!!

14. Likes Bobw, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last 15 years I worked it was 4 10s with an occasional 4 9s and a 4 for those special ya gotta be there for a delivery fridays. Maybe once every 6 weeks..

It made being a foreman easier. No flaky crew members... Those that couldnt handle the extra freedom didnt last. And those that liked it worked to keep it going. The crew was the most responsible and stable I worked with in my 34 year career. Everything I did that needed me to take time off happened on a Friday...

When a delivery or inspection was scheduled for Friday the driver had to give me 4 hours notice...
    The owner of the company had no problem with me getting overtime for a late appointment .... he billed accordingly with a smile. In the 15 years I did it, only once was an inspector late the second time...

My life was better for the free Fridays... Knowing that I made sure the company made money...
    I stayed with that company for the time off... the money I could have made almost anywhere... The time I couldnt buy...

16. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Normal is easy to regulate..anything odd brings someone who is happy and another who feels slighted.
    Fair is keeping most of the workers content and the customer happy.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    Hi, I'm just an employee and have recently suggested this idea to the boss.
    Has anyone here done such a shift and what were the issues and or problems that developed?
    The biggest issue the boss had was wanting to have the business open and capable 5 days a week. The solution I had (which I've been discussing with other employees) was to shift who had which day off each week so that enough of the workforce would be present to do whatever job was needed. So one person would have a friday off and another would have a monday, maybe with some sort of rotation(every 2 weeks the day off shifts or similar) if people felt it necessary.

The shop is a smaller job/prototype shop with a few steady production jobs and about 35 employees.
    I can fill in any more info that might be needed.
    Thank you
    Clif
    Good luck with getting 35 guys to agree on doing what's best for the shop.

Some are married, some aren't. Some have kids, some don't. Some have a wife that works, some don't. Some need the money more than others. I'm having a hard time imagining which group puts the shop ahead of themselves or even takes both into consideration.

Here a 5 day week is the norm for shops and with a 37 hour work week. Most have Monday to Thursday 7½ hours and stop earlier on a Friday. Working long hours doesn't increase effectiveness. Au contraire.

19. Likes gwelo62 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have done it before and loved it. I will be doing it again soon.
    Funny though......back in the day when I was looking for work every couple of years or so. I would run into many shops that advertised as 4 ten hour days. But then when you talked with the employees they would laugh at the notion. Most were actually 5 ten hour days. I remember one shop in particular that when I asked a guy about the 4 ten hour days he said he had not had a SATURDAY off in over 2 years, let alone a Friday. His normal work week was 56 hours. 50 m-f + 6 saturday.
    I understand I strayed a bit from your question, but just a little warning to those who are looking for employment. When they advertise 4 ten hour days you need to ask current employees how that works out and how they like an EXTRA day off every week. You may be surprised at their response.

21. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    only if I leave early

23. Likes Bobw, tdmidget, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toolsteel View Post
    I have done it before and loved it. I will be doing it again soon.
    Funny though......back in the day when I was looking for work every couple of years or so. I would run into many shops that advertised as 4 ten hour days. But then when you talked with the employees they would laugh at the notion. Most were actually 5 ten hour days. I remember one shop in particular that when I asked a guy about the 4 ten hour days he said he had not had a SATURDAY off in over 2 years, let alone a Friday. His normal work week was 56 hours. 50 m-f + 6 saturday.
    I understand I strayed a bit from your question, but just a little warning to those who are looking for employment. When they advertise 4 ten hour days you need to ask current employees how that works out and how they like an EXTRA day off every week. You may be surprised at their response.
    Is the idea of a balanced work and life situation utopia to many Americans? OT is unavoidable but constant OT? Underpaid workers or lousy planning?

In most of EU around 5 weeks annual paid vacation is MANDATORY and OT avoided when possible.

Sixteen Tons by Tennessee ernie Ford (Lyrics on Screen) - YouTube

Sam Cooke - Chain Gang (High Quality) - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did this almost 2 years ago. Granted we only had 12 people. Our office is still open Monday through Friday and the shop manager works half days on Fridays to deal with any shop related issues that may need dealing with. Other than that, it took a little bit for our customers to get used to. But there really were no issues. Our customers all responded positively to it as well as our staff. If there are jobs that have to be done Friday it is just used as an overtime day, so work still gets done when it has to.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We follow the 8-5, M-F schedule because all of our vendors and customers do too. I'll often do an extra 2-4 hours after 5 to catch up when things are quiet.

It's disheartening though how often employee's have "legitimate" reasons that they need off (medical, family issue). We've heard a lot of guys offering to make up time at night or on the weekend and it's always the same story. They miss the point! If they can't be here while the rest of the world is working with us, we lose! Sure they can make up THEIR time, but the company has still lost it's time.

All that said, I'm not against late hours or weekend hours if it works better for the staff involved and everyone can get their fair time, but the "company" still has to be fully staffed 8-5, mon-fri. The rest is just catch-up.

I'll add too, when I run into a vendor who ISN'T open during the "regular" hours, it's kinda off-putting. No different than standing in the check-out line at a store waiting for... someone to MAYBE ring you up.

28. Likes mc3608 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    Hi, I'm just an employee and have recently suggested this idea to the boss.
    Has anyone here done such a shift and what were the issues and or problems that developed?
    The biggest issue the boss had was wanting to have the business open and capable 5 days a week. The solution I had (which I've been discussing with other employees) was to shift who had which day off each week so that enough of the workforce would be present to do whatever job was needed. So one person would have a friday off and another would have a monday, maybe with some sort of rotation(every 2 weeks the day off shifts or similar) if people felt it necessary.

The shop is a smaller job/prototype shop with a few steady production jobs and about 35 employees.
    I can fill in any more info that might be needed.
    Thank you
    Clif
    I worked at about a 30 man shop that had a new owner who had gotten a big SBA Loan and didn't know Shit about a machine Shop.The first thing that he did was to start a 4 10 hr day.
    Sounded great ,we got paid for overtime over 8hrs and was off 3 days.
    The only problem was myself and a few other Key people that made the company the most money had to work 6 10 hr days.Also the first day friday we only got paid straight time because we hadn't worked 40 yet.
    After about 6 months of 60 hr weeks I wanted to take of a couple of Saturdays and the owner would really twist my arm to get me to work.After a few weeks of that I decided to take a couple weekends off.It pissed the owner off so much that he went back to a reg 5 day week.
    So in our case only the dip shits and non Key employees benifitted from the 4 day week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like four ten hour days and have worked it a few places. It can be a incentive to Machinist. Also the places I worked that had a production schedule which fit with that in one way or the other. One place they had day shift, nights, and weekend shifts. Other shops could not do it because the Friday work day would demand there be Machinists there to take in jobs and a hot job in a job shop for instance should be open as much as the customers. Too much business to lose by not having the machines running that day.

31. Likes mc3608 liked this post