Changing from 8/5hr to 4/10 hr days - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 73 of 73
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    I see all these guys posting how they work 12 hour days regularly, I feel like I'm slacking off. The company I'm with now has a standard M-F, 6:00-2:30 schedules for machinists, and 6:00-3:00 for welders (they get an hour lunch). We hardly ever work more than 8 in a day, but that's because they don't like to pay overtime.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Steel mill in nearby Youngstown last month, was having an "On air job fair",
    had allot of positions to fill, went into detail on each one.

    And near the end of the show, they announced the "Schedule"....

    They work "Four twelves".

    That is 4, twelve hour days, 4 days off, then 4 twelve hour nights.

    lather, rinse, spit, repeat....
    There's a major rubber and tire company a family member of mine use to work for that has a similar shift. They have four different shifts they call "rotating swing shifts". You work 12 hour shifts, 4 nights, 3 off, 3 days, 1 off, 3 nights, 3 off, 4 days, 7 off. They laid the different shifts out so everyone was on the same rotating schedule, but all at different times. The results from that, as I witnessed, were he was only worth anything 10 out of every 28 days because he was either sleeping, or exhausted. But they paid good..

  3. Likes digger doug liked this post
  4. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elyria Ohio
    Posts
    1,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3034
    Likes (Received)
    660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Is the idea of a balanced work and life situation utopia to many Americans? OT is unavoidable but constant OT? Underpaid workers or lousy planning?

    In most of EU around 5 weeks annual paid vacation is MANDATORY and OT avoided when possible.

    Sixteen Tons by Tennessee ernie Ford (Lyrics on Screen) - YouTube

    Sam Cooke - Chain Gang (High Quality) - YouTube
    As for myself - I will do everything in my power to avoid European Socialism. I don't want to be taken care of by the State. I want them to stay out of my business and I will make my way in the world the best I can and I have never asked for handouts.

    I raised a family of five children as the sole bread winner. It took a lot of work to do it but I would do it again in a heart-beat. I worked 55-60 hours a week pretty consistently. We also homeschooled our children. My wife was very resourceful in making sure what I earned went as far as possible.

    All my children are grown now. My oldest (my only daughter) is a stay at home mom that runs a cottage industry re-selling. My oldest son is president of a multi-million dollar construction company. My two middle sons work with me. My youngest son is a West Point cadet.

    I have 10 grandchildren with the 11th coming any day. I call it "The American Dream" - and a life blessed by God.

    In 6: Phillip Miranda - YouTube
    Last edited by Joe Miranda; 12-07-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: change

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    My job has open hours, within reason. Some choose 8 5s, some come in early, some come in late. I choose 4 10s, getting in as early as possible. We are a small mold shop with everybody on a different project, so it works for us. We get no formal breaks, usually filling my coffee up is fine, but do get paid lunch.

    My last job's hours were as-needed, and getting bounced around the clock with no notice. Nope, didn't make it too long there. One of the machines had two guys on 12s. Thirteen days on, one day off. One day off every two weeks. No thanks.

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    202
    Likes (Received)
    319

    Default

    Joe Miranda, you are a blessed man.

  7. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  8. #66
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    18,547
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3764
    Likes (Received)
    15226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    LOL That "remote island" is in a fjord and surrounded by land less than 1½ miles away. Add to that that there is a ferry that sails to and fro. Also 60 miles from Copenhagen.

    We have a general election coming up soon so politicians and political parties (we have at least 10) are all trying to get in the news.

    The "refugees" in question have all been refused stay in Denmark either because they have done something criminal while in Denmark or in the country they "fled" from. I doubt if it'll happen as it isn't the first time it's been suggested.

    BTW how are things going at the Mexican border? Kids still getting separated from their parents and/or getting gassed?

  9. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,989
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4819
    Likes (Received)
    3045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

    BTW how are things going at the Mexican border? Kids still getting separated from their parents...?

    Well what they can say, the US isn't quite as relaxed about child trafficking as most countries in Europe...
    I sure haven't heard of Denmark being all that welcoming to all the migrants over there, y'all a bunch of white nationalists or something? just think you could be as wonderful as Sweden. But eh, if you want to take some MS13 members into your home plane tickets aren't that expensive, would add some nice diversity over there. Entropy could be your strength too...

  10. #68
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2602
    Likes (Received)
    320

    Default

    Came across this article on this being a big move now the four day work schedule is gaining steady. It is considered a more productive schedule and better for the health lessening stress. Employees waste less time and plan their days better when the four day vs five is a incentive . It was suggested too because the company could pay 15% less weekly schedule also. Go figure I like the four day schedule.

    Article; Burnout, stress lead more companies to try a four-day work week | Reuters

  11. #69
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2602
    Likes (Received)
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miranda View Post
    As for myself - I will do everything in my power to avoid European Socialism. I don't want to be taken care of by the State. I want them to stay out of my business and I will make my way in the world the best I can and I have never asked for handouts.

    I raised a family of five children as the sole bread winner. It took a lot of work to do it but I would do it again in a heart-beat. I worked 55-60 hours a week pretty consistently. We also homeschooled our children. My wife was very resourceful in making sure what I earned went as far as possible.

    All my children are grown now. My oldest (my only daughter) is a stay at home mom that runs a cottage industry re-selling. My oldest son is president of a multi-million dollar construction company. My two middle sons work with me. My youngest son is a West Point cadet.

    I have 10 grandchildren with the 11th coming any day. I call it "The American Dream" - and a life blessed by God.

    In 6: Phillip Miranda - YouTube
    Joe you are truly blessed by God. What you describe are difficult things to do and sometimes people just do the very best that they can and thank God for a life you can give things the best try.

    I see things in light of a living God I do not understand why
    that could be a wrong outlook in any way yet I have been shocked how persons would look things over in a positive outlook a spiritual one.

  12. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Having worked a multitude of shifts, varying from 5 8s to 12 hour overnights that were M-T on, W-Th off, F-Su on, M-T off, W-Th on, F-Su off I can say I enjoy the 4 10s. Our company recently made the shift from 5 8s to 4 10s and have actually seen productivity go up, hitting previously un-achievable marks (i.e. earned hours, reciepts to stock, etc.).
    With the change to 4 10s we have also reached the milestones with fewer people in our workforce (approx. 55).
    To make this switch we added and hour before and after the previous schedule, so production now runs 6-4:30 M-Th with optional overtime on F.

  13. Likes Mike1974, [email protected] liked this post
  14. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    Hi, I'm just an employee and have recently suggested this idea to the boss.
    Has anyone here done such a shift and what were the issues and or problems that developed?
    The biggest issue the boss had was wanting to have the business open and capable 5 days a week. The solution I had (which I've been discussing with other employees) was to shift who had which day off each week so that enough of the workforce would be present to do whatever job was needed. So one person would have a friday off and another would have a monday, maybe with some sort of rotation(every 2 weeks the day off shifts or similar) if people felt it necessary.

    The shop is a smaller job/prototype shop with a few steady production jobs and about 35 employees.
    I can fill in any more info that might be needed.
    Thank you
    Clif
    My place of employment makes a couple different products, with different styles to each. A year ago, we went from 5 eight hour days to 4 ten hour days and production has increased to the point we don't work overtime anymore. Each division has approx 5 machines in a group and the time off goes like this: one guy will have Monday off this week, the next week he will have Tuesday off, etc. When he has Friday off, then will have the next Monday off also, a four day weekend every 5 weeks.

    All of us agree that when you have a Wednesday off, it breaks up the week real nice. There are about 60 of us in the shop, and like I stated, the overtime has been cut right off, production has increased, because whomever has the day off, the other guys can cover that machine.

  15. #72
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Paradise, Ca
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    773
    Likes (Received)
    1400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WincoME View Post
    Having worked a multitude of shifts, varying from 5 8s to 12 hour overnights that were M-T on, W-Th off, F-Su on, M-T off, W-Th on, F-Su off I can say I enjoy the 4 10s. Our company recently made the shift from 5 8s to 4 10s and have actually seen productivity go up, hitting previously un-achievable marks (i.e. earned hours, reciepts to stock, etc.).
    With the change to 4 10s we have also reached the milestones with fewer people in our workforce (approx. 55).
    To make this switch we added and hour before and after the previous schedule, so production now runs 6-4:30 M-Th with optional overtime on F.
    Excellent first post, thank you.

    Can you tell us a little about your shop? Is it CNC production only? Small order manual stuff? Does the 4/10's apply to office staff as well?

  16. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Excellent first post, thank you.

    Can you tell us a little about your shop? Is it CNC production only? Small order manual stuff? Does the 4/10's apply to office staff as well?
    My shop machines PTO generator gear cases and shafts, which are currently the only items on our CNCs. We recently downsized the shop as some of the product had been obsoleted. We also do our own sheet metal forming and painting. We also used to make our own generator windings in house, but it has become unprofitable and unfeasible to update machines to be competitive.
    4/10s currently only applies to the production staff and individuals who work on the production floor (i.e. Operations Manager, Supervisors, Manufacturing Engineer).


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
2