Cleaning up and putting stuff away - Or Not? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always had a problem finding odd little things that I put away in special places where I'd be able to easily find them again. Problem was after a few months I couldn't always remember where that special place was. For small enough items the special place was the top drawer of my desk.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who used the desk drawer. I got in the habit when previewing a shop auction to look in the shop foreman's desk drawer. Amazing what valuable little goodies you find there sometimes.

As to clutter...did you ever hear that saying sometimes attributed to Einstein? It went something like: "If a cluttered desk top is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk top a sign of?"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like to clean up at the end of the day. I do try to keep big piles of chips at least swept into a pile out of where I have to stand and walk. I don't usually go crazy cleaning machines until the job I'm working on is done, then everything gets cleaned out and wiped down. As far as tools on the work bench, the 80/20 rule is what drives that. The things that get used a lot have a spot on the bench or hanging on or near the machine. My biggest problem is getting my helper to follow the same rules. He is one that uses something, sets it down when he is done, and there it stays. If you happen to need it next, you have to waste a bunch of time trying to figure out where he used it last. I have actually started cleaning up before I start for the day, that way all the tooling that he has left out and about is put away, and it saves me time in the long run, when I need it I don't have to waste time looking... I used to work in a union shop where all you did was return your tool cart to the tool crib, and someone would put everything away, blow the chips from the machine onto the floor, and someone else would come and sweep it up. We even had one guy that just walked around and oiled machines all day. If you were doing anything other than running your machine, you were probably doing someone else's job!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A clean shop is a nice thing, but in doing my one-man routine of prototype/product development in my own shop, cleaning up obsessively between parts is often adding 2X or 3X the time to get to the finish line, where there is a collection of parts in qty 1 or 2 to make for the assembly. I find myself most often cleaning up after the previous project when I'm ready to start the next "thing" whatever it is. I use the cleanup time to think about how I'm going to do the next project. This approach does lead to walking on crunchy floors fairly often, and that is probably the worst aspect.

In a shop where more than one person works, that approach is basically a non-starter. When I'm using the shop at the company location, with another person involved, cleanup and organizing is basically mandatory so both of us can find what we need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by specfab View Post
    A clean shop is a nice thing, but in doing my one-man routine of prototype/product development in my own shop, cleaning up obsessively between parts is often adding 2X or 3X the time to get to the finish line, where there is a collection of parts in qty 1 or 2 to make for the assembly. I find myself most often cleaning up after the previous project when I'm ready to start the next "thing" whatever it is. I use the cleanup time to think about how I'm going to do the next project. This approach does lead to walking on crunchy floors fairly often, and that is probably the worst aspect.

In a shop where more than one person works, that approach is basically a non-starter. When I'm using the shop at the company location, with another person involved, cleanup and organizing is basically mandatory so both of us can find what we need.
    This is me exactly.

One of the biggest problems is having a place for everything when I keep on dragging back more stuff.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same here, not enough -places- for stuff.
    I get into a wide variety of projects, and always end up
    with extras that are too good to throw away. Nothing is
    ever sorted because there's no location to store it.
    End result is boxes and bins of MISC stuff all piled together and set someplace in the storage area. I'm sure over the years I've bought supplies or purchased parts like bearings, timing pulleys, relays, pipe fittings, hardware, etc, etc. that I might already have and forgot about. Sometimes I go on a safari to hunt down an item, and usually run across something I 'could have used' awhile ago. At this point it would take weeks to sort it all out and find a place, shelves perhaps, to store it properly.
    Frustrating.
    Big business solves this problem by massive clean up's and throw out's. Probably the most logical solution.
    But I can't bring myself to throw out anything 'good'.