Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by supervisor101 View Post
    We are going through a pretty severe crunch in CNC programming capacity due to product transitions into our plant. Programming has become a major bottleneck and we are considering all options.

Has anyone had experience in outsourcing basic OD/ID lathe work or vertical mill work?
    Any pitfalls to be aware of?

What other solutions have worked?
    I would not recommend sending this out. If the vendor makes a mistake and you wallop a machine, when all's done, he's just gonna point back at you.

Truly - put an ad online and hire good help at a good price. You won't go wrong.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

The simple work is training material for your new "junior Programmer" that your going to hire, and train.

3. Likes mhajicek, DouglasJRizzo, Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its fun to see how many guys say just hire a good guy at a great price. Sorry that is not real world any more. Some people have shops in areas this is impossible. Once you hire the $60k guy he needs benefits, vacation, etc, you need another seat of what ever cam to the tune of $10k, you need another office because your out of room now, training, and on and on.
    What I have learned is all programmers hate other programmers programs. No one can do it as well as the last guy that programmed, hence scrap theirs and rewrite. Coding guys are the same way.
    And 90% of the guys on PM hate when you ask this very question, tried it once. They will come up with two hundred things that do not answer your question, because programmers hate other programmers programs.
    If you find a guy let me know I need some stuff too. lol

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousmudbogger View Post
    Its fun to see how many guys say just hire a good guy at a great price. Sorry that is not real world any more. Some people have shops in areas this is impossible. Once you hire the $60k guy he needs benefits, vacation, etc, you need another seat of what ever cam to the tune of $10k, you need another office because your out of room now, training, and on and on.
    What I have learned is all programmers hate other programmers programs. No one can do it as well as the last guy that programmed, hence scrap theirs and rewrite. Coding guys are the same way.
    And 90% of the guys on PM hate when you ask this very question, tried it once. They will come up with two hundred things that do not answer your question, because programmers hate other programmers programs.

So what is your solution? Programming is tough, have to find out what tools are available, what they are used to, what machines, the list goes on and on..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    So what is your solution? Programming is tough, have to find out what tools are available, what they are used to, what machines, the list goes on and on..
    If he says he has some verticals and 2 axis lathes anyone should be able to program if it takes gcode correct? Program it, send over a tool list, hop on MSC web site, order said tooling, bingo, making parts.
    Programming is not tough, somethings are just more complicated

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The simple jobs are a perfect opportunity for you to MAKE a CNC programmer. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and the entry level guys are a lot cheaper.

8. Likes Ox, Mike1974, mneuro liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If he says he has some verticals and 2 axis lathes anyone should be able to program if it takes gcode correct? Program it, send over a tool list, hop on MSC web site, order said tooling, bingo, making parts.
    Programming is not tough, somethings are just more complicated

Sure thing!

I said it before and stand behind it, almost anyone could pick up some cam and make code. Make it work (with some sort of efficiency), with all the variables of machine, tooling, material, etc is a different story.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I respectfully disagree.

Fact is, good help, costs. Period. Yeah, you'll need a chair, and software. And other things. But that's the cost. You can train someone, if you have a candidate with enough skills and machining background to turn into a programmer, but guess what? You're still gonna pay that person. And you'll still need software. And a chair. Etc. And when that person gets good enough, you're gonna have to fork out more than what they were getting on the floor pressing "Cycle Start." If you don't, they'll walk eventually. When your shop grows to the point where you need to consider this, you're at the point where you can afford good help. Make the investment. You'll get far more profit from a well paid CNC guy than the money you're putting out for them.

Just my opinion, but after 40+ years in this business, I've seen the way it usually works.

11. Likes digger doug, Shawnrs liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

Fact is, good help, costs. Period. Yeah, you'll need a chair, and software. And other things. But that's the cost. You can train someone, if you have a candidate with enough skills and machining background to turn into a programmer, but guess what? You're still gonna pay that person. And you'll still need software. And a chair. Etc. And when that person gets good enough, you're gonna have to fork out more than what they were getting on the floor pressing "Cycle Start." If you don't, they'll walk eventually. When your shop grows to the point where you need to consider this, you're at the point where you can afford good help. Make the investment. You'll get far more profit from a well paid CNC guy than the money you're putting out for them.

Just my opinion, but after 40+ years in this business, I've seen the way it usually works.
    This is all true. And if you job it out, you'll pay all that plus profit margin. That's the cost of doing business. The only real variable I see is who pockets the profit margin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL... We got 4 programmers, we can all write the same part's program.. they all different, but same outcome, different tools, feeds speeds, some better then others... and yes we do hate each others programs, some more then others!!! lol.

sometimes if problems found with other programmer program on different shift, we just delete it and start over it easier then trying to decipher someone else's mistake and theory of machining for that part.

Even if long hand g-code or master cam they all still different theory on what it should look like and tools used.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would you rather hire some inexperienced programmer at a lower wager who doesn't optimize programs? Second where do you come up with the idea other programmers hate other programmers programs? Some of my best programs come from the ideas of other programmers who created a process. I get more creative seeing someone else's programs and I learn from them and enhance my ideas. Last would you work for a company without benefits? I would say quite making excuses for not hiring a good programmer.

15. Likes DouglasJRizzo, Mike1974 liked this post