Cocky young employee - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    The thing that gets me with heavy work is everyone thinks jumping in to help helps.
    All I see is more people to get killed if a pick tears out or something else goes wrong.
    I want as few personnel as is needed and no more,
    When I worked deep ocean oceanography R&D the first thing we did for trawl deck/aft deck work was get everyone not *essential* to the operation off of the deck, and have a safety officer whose sole role it was to ensure *nobody* came out onto the deck.

The number of people who think "nobody except those involved" doesn't mean *them* was quite stunning. One nearly got brained by a swinging 1 tonne bottom weight we were getting ready to drop overside. He just HAD to get in a perfect position to take a photo.

The less people involved in heavy lifts or moves the better.

PDW

2. Likes Trboatworks, MetalCarnage, Scottl, Keyfox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep- I just had one of those.
    Guy in management who had been pressing to "just come get me if I need help" finally just decides to just join in and walks right into the kill zone under a heavy raised load.

Unbelievable.

I don't know how many times I had or seen guys run up to grab raised loads opposite the guy with the tag line and start dragging it around out from under the pick point because they just can't help themselves and got some ideal of what should happen.
    And like Scott says they start frantically signaling to the crane operator and he is like what the fuck- who am I listening to..

The problem is lots of work is ad hoc grab a few guys to get something done affairs.
    The pushy know it all guys have to be recognized and you do the work when they are not around or tie them up while it gets done.

I just had a rough week because I had to shift a bunch of large heavy crap and It is all fresh in my mind- I did everything I could and still failed to police up all the idiots.

Maybe I missed the details but if you don't have the authority to manage a problem guy get it.
    If you can't get it well..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the words of the immortal Bard "on yer bike,sunshine ".
    Last edited by camscan; 04-15-2021 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Spellchecker

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was doing set up and operating mills about 20 years ago. The CNC programmer in the department was the absolute worse programmer I ever have had the misfortune of working with. I tried working with the guy on many occasions but he was incapable of accepting feedback and was cocky as hell. After one particularly bone headed program error combined with a few back to back 60 hour weeks I finally snapped. I looked him in the eye and said..." I have worked with cocky and arrogant people who are real good at what they do.....but you are the first person I have had to work with that has combined cocky, arrogant AND incompetent"
    He retired 5 years later and never spoke to me again.
    Sometimes the truth hurts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Maybe I missed the details but if you don't have the authority to manage a problem guy get it.
    If you can't get it well..
    We did - it was usually me and I had a radio with direct comms to the ship bridge. I had no problems escalating things if the person didn't fuck off PDQ and the officer of the watch would *always* back up the person in charge on the deck.

If you're supposed to be in charge and don't have the authority to remove people from the work area, walk away. Because when, not if, something goes wrong, it's going to be on you.

Friend of a friend locally is what I call the energizer bunny. Lots of go go go and little common sense. I ask my friend never to bring this man to my place if we're moving anything.

PDW

7. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Piechomper View Post
    Things came to a head yesterday when he badly damaged a new pump case worth around £15000 and tried to cover up the damage.
    What has he covered up that you guys haven't caught? Sounds like he is incapable of taking responsibility for anything and has a deficiency of character. Not somebody who should be representing your organization to customers.

Council on paper signed by all parties. This must include the 5w's as well as a plan of action to correct the deficiencies in the future. If he fails to implement the plan of action, council again. And keep going until you have enough paper to send him on his way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't have enough time to read through all of this and see where it's at but I want to make one recommendation: Don't focus on "attitude", focus on "behavior". They may or not be correlated. In theory, someone could have a bad attitude but good behavior, and even the other way around. Bottom line is that it's behavior that affects other workers (co-workers, supervisors, etc.) and is what needs to be corrected. Being clear to the guy that it's his behavior that is affecting things could be a good strategy. If you can clear that out, then you can focus on skills/training, which should be an entirely separate condition.

Good luck,
    The Dude

10. Likes charlie gary liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I didn't have enough time to read through all of this and see where it's at but I want to make one recommendation: Don't focus on "attitude", focus on "behavior". They may or not be correlated. In theory, someone could have a bad attitude but good behavior, and even the other way around. Bottom line is that it's behavior that affects other workers (co-workers, supervisors, etc.) and is what needs to be corrected. Being clear to the guy that it's his behavior that is affecting things could be a good strategy. If you can clear that out, then you can focus on skills/training, which should be an entirely separate condition.

Good luck,
    The Dude
    15k lb damage says "give up on this one".....

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You ought to try putting something heavy back together,when the boss spots you and utters the fateful words "That man can go back to work...Ill drive the crane!"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Piechomper View Post
    I am shop foreman in a pump repair shop having trouble with a very cocky and smart thirty year old guy who thinks hes the best engineer in the world , but has a shockingly poor skill set.
    I have tried taking the guy under my wing and helping him , pointing out things he is doing badly and trying my best to help him improve his skills, only for him to mouth off and and not listen because he knows better than me. I have got 35 years in the trade where he has barely 10 years. He mouths off at the other guys in the shop and puts little to no effort into any job he is given. His current role is as a service engineer working on other customer sites , a job I have also done for a number of years. He appears to only want to be out on the road doing site work, showing little to no interest in working in the workshop. The problem is he does not have the skills to be able to go it alone and more importantly represent the company and in my opinion he is going to come unstuck very quickly. Things came to a head yesterday when he badly damaged a new pump case worth around £15000 and tried to cover up the damage.
    I have had to report him to the facility manager as he has now seriously got under my skin and I am sick of having to correct his mistakes( because he is incapable) the problem is I now feel uncomfortable after doing this. How would you guys have handled this ?

Fire him. If you can't fire him let him prove his mastery of a broom and dustpan. Get him off the production line. lying about a mistake is immediate grounds for dismissal in my opinion. I make plane parts and people die if people lie.