What's new
What's new

common interview questions?

blacklotus

Plastic
Not sure if this is the right spot. if its not I apologize. I am new here. I may have an interview coming up. I had a phone pre screen today.I was wondering what the top common questions for an interviewer to ask are. thanks in advance.:D

You can start by telling us what the position is that you're applying for. But if you know your stuff you shouldn't have any problems with an interview.

Unless it's a generic HR person who's using their own magic formula to scope out a new hire - in that case, agree with whatever they say...

Large companies love to ask these stupid generic behavior based questions that have no technical basis.
“ Tell is about a time that you had a conflict with another employee, what was the issue, and how did you resolve it?” They don’t want to hear about you taking them out to the parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It helps to know something about the company you're applying to as well. If you end up getting asked the incredibly cliche "where do you see yourself in 5/10/whatever years?" it's best to give an answer that lines up with what the company is lacking right now, or may have a need for soon. For example, if they have a big sign out front that says "PROGRAMMERS NEEDED" or something, use that information to make yourself more desirable.

I think it's against the law to ask that now. I just tell people, "Tell me a little about yourself" and let them incriminate themselves. I can't keep up with what I'm allowed and not allowed to ask.

Is it seriously against the law to ask that? That's just ridiculous.

Not sure if this is the right spot. if its not I apologize. I am new here. I may have an interview coming up. I had a phone pre screen today.I was wondering what the top common questions for an interviewer to ask are. thanks in advance.:D

they often ask what pay rate are you looking for ? obviously if you say you want $23./hr and they want to hire somebody at $18/hr that can end the interview fast.
often when you interview there is 2 or more people and they have different opinions on stuff. almost anything you say one person can like and the other dislike.
most important thing is dont be late for the interview. that will really piss them off.

Dress and appearance are important as well. Dress a pay grade above the job you are trying to get.

There are a lot of things you legally can't ask in an interview...Without knowing what the job is, it's hard to offer specific advice.

i have heard of job interview where applicant talks about his vast experience. and one of the interviewers says he did not like that (later of course not to person being interviewed). either didnt believe or maybe was jealous.
just saying your dealing with people and some people the same question and answer can go good one day or piss interview person off another day. you can be faulted for saying too little or saying too much. really there is no easy way to predict things cause often the people interviewing are not going to be telling you a lot of their opinions on stuff ahead of time. they almost always will not mention a previous employee who maybe was fired and the reason why.
and of course people have opinions. they can ask a question and you can answer and be technically correct in you opinion but if interview person doesnt have the same opinion you can be told you are incorrect or maybe they say nothing. at a interview its not like you can argue your point. even if you proved yourself correct that can still piss the interviewer off if you embarrass them. hard to describe.

Out of curiosity, has anyone responded to the question about desired pay by saying, "that is negotiable"?

no usually they ask what pay are you expecting ? if you say too much, maybe not get job. if you say you will take $10./hr you still might not get the job. really some interview people got strong opinions and are often quick to judge people
i have put down $12. to $20/hr before written on paper and given to boss just at end of interview (cause thats how boss wanted to be told of my expected pay)cause i wanted to get the job and figured pay can change often yearly. better to start the job than not get it.

What has been mentioned here is the extreme variety in an interview - the questions and how you answer them.

What has not been mentioned is the importance of practice interviews - recent practice. You want to get that practice before you go into the interview for the job you really want. The practice goes beyond knowing the questions. Of course in a small market you need to be careful about interviewing around town, and reference checks.

There are standard HR type questions and you should have example answers that are "win-win", rather than thinking them up on the spot - unless you're really good at that, but then you probably would not be asking.

Unless it is dictated by a union contract, the pay rate or salary is always negotiable so I would never ask that. I have replied to that question with, "As much as I can get." That usually starts a conversation. But I was applying for unique, higher level jobs at that time and a little dance around the salary question was expected. They did not have any other employees in the same position and could only compare my salary desires with what they paid the former person in that position. The people I was applying to often felt a bit guilty because they were trying to low-ball me.

Do I need to say that the compensation is always a delicate subject.

By the way, if it is a union position the company will usually state up front what the rate will be so you will not have to worry about asking or answering that question. You could easily inquire if it is a union job before the interview.

Out of curiosity, has anyone responded to the question about desired pay by saying, "that is negotiable"?

At my last interview, the guy asked, "What's your biggest fault?" I said, "My honesty." He said, "I don't think honesty is a fault." I said,
"I don't give a shit what you think."

It is illegal to be asked any kind of question that does not have apply to the job position. Such as:

Are you married?
Do you own a house?

How you deal with it is your thing. Just know that the asker is wrong.

If it's for a machining job then most likely you won't interview with an HR person so there won't be any silly questions which have nothing to do with the job.
Most likely you will be meeting with the shop floor foreman/manager. Most questions will be technical to see how much you know while he is showing you around the shop.
Answer promptly and keep your answers short. Never say anything more than what the question was asking.
Also if it looks like you don't like what you are seeing the interviewer will see that and will stop asking questions and just finish the shop tour and then let you go.
Never lie about what you know. They will find out in less than two days if they hire you. And if they ask you what wage are you looking for, tell them that it's negotiable and they have to make the first move.

Stock response to that is:

"Lets see if I'm a good fit for the position. I am sure we can resolve the salary issue once the other details are
ironed out."

Back