What's new
What's new

Company logo and website question

joyner

Plastic
I am building a website and and want to put the logos of past and present customers on my site to show who I have done work for. Does anyone know if I would need those companies permission to do so? Thanks.

I am building a website and and want to put the logos of past and present customers on my site to show who I have done work for. Does anyone know if I would need those companies permission to do so? Thanks.

Why would you want to advertise who you are doing work for????:nutter: So you competitor can call them to steal your work????

Some companies might be OK with that, others could be quite upset.

Play it safe. Get permission!

You need to get permission.

If you do this, make sure you get permission from the right person. Years ago, while working for a very large company, one of the engineers who worked for me went off the reservation and gave permission to a supplier to use my employer's logo in their advertising without checking with me or anyone else in the company. To say that managers much more senior than myself were annoyed is an understatement. Many companies do not want their names or logos used by a supplier in any way. Especially if it could be considered an endorsement of the supplier's products.

Just do it! If they bitch take it off. Sheesh!

But! In retrospect I'd probably ask them. ;)

Concept: If you find a new way to machine something which is really good, and you hide it from everyone so they don't steal it, then you'll only have a few customers. If you show people what the new process does, your visitors will say, "Oh! You can do that? I need you to do that for me too."

There are those who will try and mimic your idea, but they don't know the things you went through to figure out the answer. Don't be afraid to show people how you do things. Some will need your expertise. Besides that, people will generally follow the one who figured it out.

Sad story: I had a customer I was doing thousands of one part for. He saw my setup which included a Wells Index Mill with a right angle attachment. The process was a plunge slot in a part about 5/8" in diameter and about 1/2" tall. I was using a 3" diameter milling cutter in the right angle attachment.

He decided to do this himself. He brought me the check for the last batch, and said I bought this cutter and it's the wrong one. He said the teeth are going the wrong way. I looked at it in his hand and reached over and turned the cutter over for him. I didn't say anything. He sheepishly just went away. He went bankrupt a few months later.

Regards,

Stan-

Back