What's new
What's new

company online reviews

chuckg7442

Aluminum
How much stock should one put into online company reviews? I'm looking into another company and read the comments about shop culture. I understand that disgruntled employees or bad eggs now have a forum to air their grievances and usually take reviews with a grain of salt on things I buy, but wondering how owners/employees take these reviews. Thanks.

How much stock should one put into online company reviews? I'm looking into another company and read the comments about shop culture. I understand that disgruntled employees or bad eggs now have a forum to air their grievances and usually take reviews with a grain of salt on things I buy, but wondering how owners/employees take these reviews. Thanks.

I would say to take it all in context, it is been well known there are plenty of paid shills for large companies, and companies that are hired to clean up bad reputations. I always look for a personal referral or an online one from a trustworthy source. There also are people who will complain that their beer was served too cold.

I take product reviews a hell of a lot more seriously than I take company reviews, usually the first place a cancerous employee that was let go goes to. Plus now there are companies that can get bad reviews erased for you, plus a good review may come from the company itself so you never know how much accuracy is really there. Now a customer review of the company, I would take more seriously.

Most folks are more prone to leaving a review due to a bad experience than a good one. Even more so for employers and workplaces.

"If one person says you're an asshole, they're probably the asshole. If several people say you're an asshole, you're probably the asshole."

If said employer has one bad review every 3-4 years and the reasons seem different. Probably just fine.

If said employer has a bad review every 3-4 months and they seem to sing the same song... Red Flag IMO.

I worked at a newer rocket company 4 years ago(not spaceX) and the machinists and others were plastering Glass Door with negative reviews of the shop. There was one or two that was a bit far out there, but for the most part, the culture was shit like they said. Hell, I was even accused of writing one of these reviews and never have still to this day. I'm the type that calls people out on the spot and try to address things internally. A manager didn't like that and so they showed me the door. A couple years go by, lots of turnover, and finally the 3 problem managers were finally gone. 1 by their own accord, 2 were fired. NINE machinists quit in just a couple months prior to them getting fired.

Very few and mixed reviews == probably fine. Lots of the same == probably is how they say.

Another thing you can do is try and find folks who work at said employer on LinkedIn. Send them a message. I have plenty of folks ask me about prior jobs and I try to be as forthright as I can. Not everyone will bite, but I don't see harm in cold-messaging someone on LinkedIn. I mean is that not a benefit of a professional network?

There was one time where I was going to be hired as a Sr. 5x programmer at a company. I looked at the online reviews and literally every single one was god awful.

I took that with a healthy grain of salt. Primarily because those were all low level and sometimes unskilled positions that were doing the reviews. Things like "deburr technician" and potentially the generic "cnc operator". Those jobs tend to suck espeially in the high demand fast paced aerospace industry. Someone's experience as a deburr tech will most likely contrast very heavily with a CNC programmer for the same company. Additionally, someone who started as a deburr tech and worked their way all the way up to lead setup machinist will likely have a very different view of the company than say, the deburr tech who worked there for 6 months, was always late, left early, and was pissed that they were never offered a raise and then they quit because "this company treats their workers like cattle".

The one thing that all of those reviews did actually speak to was the culture...and the culture was actively being changed because of the turnover issues, so in the end it was actually a positive outcome.

I generally prefer workng for people who don't need to dig themselves out of a culture hole, so I didn't want to work there at the time. Probably I would work there now though.

Back