Computer Died! Lost Everything! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I assume Solid State Drives are a form of memory stick. The 'gates' have a finite number of cycles which means they are like a lithium battery - they are 100% until one gate fails and then instantly 0%. I don't know if SSDs can be 'read' once they die.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceSeveNine View Post
    Everyone loses data at some point in their lives. If you want to ensure your files stay safe, you can back them up to the internet with a internet online services.All that may sound complicated, but the more you automate your backup system, the more frequently you’ll be able to back up and the greater the odds you’ll stick with it. That’s why you should use an automated tool instead of copying files to an external drive by hand. You can just set it up once, and forget it.
    What a very informative post there spammer ......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I bet that was a bad day!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    It took a bit to figure it out. New cnc takes USB so I was using one to transfer programs and it had worked fine for the first 2-3 weeks. I only load 1 program into it and take it to the machine. Decided to tweak the program a fair bit so I come back to the Cad/Cam, made changes, repost and send it back to the stick after deleting the first old program. I read the code of the program I just loaded on the stick and it looks good/new, eject. Get to the machine, load program and it starts running the old one again.

Come back to the PC, check the code on the stick and its the old/first program. Delete, start over, looks good, eject from PC1 put it on the other PC next to it, open, old program again. wtf. Did that a few times, trying to delete it on both pc's, etc, then reload new and still old one that had first been loaded coming back each time. So that went in the trash and a new usb stick is now used for those transfer. I'm a bit extra careful now to read it all once its loaded on the cnc and have it check all the toolpaths.

4. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
    hopefully most of us are computer savvy enough not to accidentally delete a drive .
    As part of 'managing risk' you can't ignore the potential for malice. I like cloud backup, but also use remote hard drive copies. If you're the only employee hopefully that doesn't apply ..... but i suppose even then you have make sure if someone steals one of the computers they can't get access and start deleting stuff. The more types of redundancy the better

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been using a WD Easystore 4TB. A no brainer to use and automatic backup. If I was still in the office I would have two. Alternate each week just keep one at home or locked in the pickup. The 1TB are 50 bucks each and the 4TB are only 90 to 100 bucks each cheap... insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know its an old post but as a person who has seen too many crashes and screwed up hard drives we now run backup drives on all machines, plus I use a cloud storage program that automatically backs up new files each night and a pair of memory sticks for the important business files which gets rotated.
    Then cloned drives get backed up monthly. In a crash or if I get infiltrated, all I have to do is swap hard drive cables and download last backups to be back to yesterday.

Then I use DropBox for the work in progress for all computers.

Still when these things go down its a pain in the rump...

Country
    INDIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are free backup tools available, you can set daily weekly and monthly backups. I am a systems engineer let me know if you need help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear that. Last time it happened to me I finally went Office 365. $99 a year with office on up to 5 devices and 5 terabytes of cloud storage. I can access any file I need on my phone (at least than I can do something with or email it to someone). Not 100% glitch free but 100&% worry free.

The Dude

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceSeveNine View Post
    Everyone loses data at some point in their lives. If you want to ensure your files stay safe, you can back them up to the internet with a internet online services.All that may sound complicated, but the more you automate your backup system, the more frequently you’ll be able to back up and the greater the odds you’ll stick with it. That’s why you should use an automated tool instead of copying files to an external drive by hand. You can just set it up once, and forget it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenas07 View Post
    There are free backup tools available, you can set daily weekly and monthly backups. I am a systems engineer let me know if you need help.
    Ooooh...."Tag Team Spamming"....

Excellent petri dish we have here eh ?

Need some bleach...a tank car load.

11. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rule number one- ALWAYS do a backup. If its really important info and you can't DIY - then you can try to use some data recovery company services. I suddenly deleted all of my folders and files that stored in my MacBook last year(( went to this company Data Recovery Services | Hard Drive & RAID Data Recovery by ACE Data Group they helped me. And using external hard drive for backup is a great advice for the future, there are so many software for that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can try Minitool power or DiskDrill.
    If you lost some valuable data and cant DIY you can always try some data recovery company.Data Recovery Services | Hard Drive & RAID Data Recovery by ACE Data Group
    Good idea for the future is do backup.