Definately 1 of the top 5

Attachments

• IMG_0560 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0560 - Copy.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,785
  • IMG_0563 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0563 - Copy.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 4,059
It's not cool unless it actually blows up, otherwise its just a cone shape piece of metal ;)

I can't think of what was the most fun or interesting thing I made so far, they're just parts I guess. Some of it does go into pretty neat pieces of equipment that would definitely fit the super cool category, but as individual parts they're pretty boring no matter how complex and time consuming.

I built quite a few things for the bp oil spill, none of them actually made it into the water as they were part of contingency plans. That was a very interesting time.

6061 Billet International 300/400 front covers for pulling tractors

view_larger.htm
http://www.tpemachine.comI just made these a few weeks ago. They started out 87 lbs and after all the machining they were 12.5lbs.
view_larger.htm

This toilet flushes really hard. I could keep replacing handles, fix the problem, or just make a bigger and better flusher.

17-4, 7/16" 17-4 shaft and the rod going to the chain is 1/2x3/16 304.

I need to finish polishing it, and the little lady wants the kokopelli filled in with turquoise.

7978074954_cba8072e56_z.jpg

Here's a 23" dia six groove flat belt pulley i made.

The blank came to my shop as shown in first picture, some other shop had roughed it from a 600kg solid by feed milling.
When it came to me it was around 250kg. Finished weight was 150kg.
I had to turn the internal tapers by feeding compound slide by hand, because the tapers were too steep for taper turning attachment and the compound doesn't have feed in it. The outer taper has a 6mm radius in the corner, so i had to grind some HSS to make it.
Also the smallest ID had a tolerance of -0 +0.06mm.

Fun little part to make.

SNB132871.jpg
SNB132991.jpg
SNB132971.jpg

Not the final product, it lacks a few details:
fp1-a.jpg
fp1-b.jpg
fp1-e.jpg
fp1-g.jpg

g3.jpg
A test who scraping in scale 1:10 would look like. :nutter:

What you see here is aluminium cast in sand.
I'll spin cast the hand wheels etc. in pewter.

I made the patterns for a casting demonstration. And I didn't want to have something to cast that would be thrown away at the same day.

Nick

Here is an example.

We built this mandrel for UC Davis here in California. We made it on our little Fadal VMC15XT ( the one I did the forum on... http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...er-issues/my-seven-year-fadal-rebuild-213008/ ) It was moved three times to machine the full length. Here's the link to the CMM inspection and a short video of it done in the Fermi National Laboratory.

CMS Trigger Tracker : Mandrel CMM Data

Wish I could post some other stuff we do, but like a lot of you out there, we too are constrained under nondisclosure agreements.

I'll dig up some other stuff when I get time that I can show.

Steve:codger:

Last edited:
That Part is 4 operations, Rough Rough, finish, then finish in a vacuum fixture, similar to the part in the front of the second picture only smaller.

Back