What's new
What's new

Coronavirus employee compensation thread

Speedie

Stainless
I heard our company will be paying up to a month of reduced wage for workers with either infected family members or themselves getting sick. Anyone else have any workplace sick leave plans?

I heard our company will be paying up to a month of reduced wage for workers with either infected family members or themselves getting sick. Anyone else have any workplace sick leave plans?

Same plan as always for me in this wonderful corporate country of ours. Don't get sick.

not my job, but I know an acquaintance that got fired for being in the hospital while not having any PTO time left.

If I get it I'll send everyone else home and work on my own. Got orders to push out the door. So far my customers haven't had reservations about sending new orders out.

I have been following the Coronavirus out of curiosity, I'm afraid it will transition out of curiosity into concern or worse.

not my job, but I know an acquaintance that got fired for being in the hospital while not having any PTO time left.

If I found out one of my suppliers did that to their employee they would never get another PO from me.

Glad to hear that others are taking the situation seriously and working to protect their staff.

If I found out one of my suppliers did that to their employee they would never get another PO from me.

Glad to hear that others are taking the situation seriously and working to protect their staff.

That is a shit thing to do... but it sounds like we don't have the whole story. I can't imagine someone doing that without some other reasoning...

That is a shit thing to do... but it sounds like we don't have the whole story. I can't imagine someone doing that without some other reasoning...

there's always 2 sides. We had an employee call in sick, like no problem get better. a week dragged into 2, then 3 and we're like WTF. Then come to find out he had a new job but kept us in the dark, I'm guessing if he didn't like the new place or his first 2 weeks they said get lost he still had the door open with us.

she works in a smallish company of about 50 employees. apparently the boss was taking no risks jeopardizing his company operating capacity. (which i find ironic cause if she was in the hospital already, it means she may have infected others in that workplace)
id think this is considered illegal and that she can file for some sort of lawsuit or compensation? maybe? i'm not too familiar with federal laws for being laid off.

Like others have said there's 2 sides to every story. We had the same thing happen at work. First 2 weeks out are sick time, then went on short term disability from week 2-12 at full pay, then insurance picked up 60% pay from weeks 13-26. He never stayed in touch with anyone and ultimately his time ran out and he got let go. If he stayed in touch with HR/manager they likely would have kept his job open but he did not. Good guy, 10 years with the company.

I had a friend of mine get fired for attending his grandmothers funeral instead of going to work. He called in and let his supervisor know. They fired him because it was company policy that all days off had to be approved two weeks in advance. His argument was of course he didn't know two weeks ago that his grandmother was going to die. The guy was a good employee. He worked for me for 2.5 years before moving onto other stuff.

I know a guy who was an Engineer for GM. The big 3 like to take their young engineers on "rotation" to factory lines, etc. to season them up. In this case, the guy has autoimmune arthritis and they didn't make any ergonomic considerations for it. He ends up bonking his head on something or other, and going off to the hospital straight from work. They keep him overnight, I believe he got into contact with his engineering boss about the matter, but the line supervisor canned him the next day for a no-call-no-show.

He did seek legal counsel since the termination was complete crap, but he was essentially told that even though his case was solid, it would be months or years before he saw a bent penny in compensation. That's the issue here as much as anything. Even a slam-dunk case of lawbreaking can go unpunished simply due to the cost and inaccessibility of recourse.

I really don't know why anyone would expect any special treatment for this one particular virus?
If you have "this" then we will let you advance past GO, but if you have some other health issue - forget it?

Issues is as issues are IMO.
Try to werk them out as best that you can - AND as best that you think the employee is trying. (or milking)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I had a friend of mine get fired for attending his grandmothers funeral instead of going to work. He called in and let his supervisor know. They fired him because it was company policy that all days off had to be approved two weeks in advance. His argument was of course he didn't know two weeks ago that his grandmother was going to die. The guy was a good employee. He worked for me for 2.5 years before moving onto other stuff.

Then there is the ass that somehow has 6 grandmothers and 13 aunts that magically get buried on warm sunny days. We had one at a union shop I was in years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would think....with all the machine shops running coolant (not oil) the majority here have built up such a strong immune system (coolant tanks are giant petri dishes et all..:ack2:) that they will not miss a minute of work...:D

I would think....with all the machine shops running coolant (not oil) the majority here have built up such a strong immune system (coolant tanks are giant petri dishes et all..:ack2:) that they will not miss a minute of work...:D

Either that, or the constant lung irritation qualifies as a pre-existing medical concern, compounding the virus' lethality.

On that note, if there's any medical researchers out there that want to study the link between vaporized coolant in the atmosphere (Trim 925 I believe) to chronic sinus infections, please drop me a line. Asking for a friend of course...

Back