Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Covid-19 started and out Robo-calls stopped

We were getting several Robo-calls daily on 3 phone lines and a few weeks ago they stopped. I don't miss them but I am wondering if it is across the nation or just in my little corner? What caused them to stop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know why they have stopped, but I am seeing the same thing

3. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still get gooogle, hate the hell out of them....Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember thinking to myself a while back that I would do just about anything to make them stop, this might be a bit extreme

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The robo calls stopped, but the junk texts have not (I get about a half dozen a day to the business cell#), also everybody I buy from whether personal or business is e-mailing me almost daily, instead of every week or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The feds recently busted/sued some people that were facilitating the robo callers, give it time, they will be back.
    YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen any slow down in robo calls. Fifteen new ones today. At least a dozen of blocked ones, too(phone rings once, then blocker hangs up). Getting more at the house, usually 5 or 6 a day. Oddly enough, the junk mail at home has gone down to nearly nothing since my wife died in January.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    I haven't seen any slow down in robo calls. Fifteen new ones today. At least a dozen of blocked ones, too(phone rings once, then blocker hangs up). Getting more at the house, usually 5 or 6 a day. Oddly enough, the junk mail at home has gone down to nearly nothing since my wife died in January.
    If that is odd then I have seen that before. Has to do with the recording of the death certificate. Sorry for your loss

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We were getting several Robo-calls daily on 3 phone lines and a few weeks ago they stopped. I don't miss them but I am wondering if it is across the nation or just in my little corner? What caused them to stop?

India is on lock-down.

India's coronavirus lockdown is having a dramatic impact on pollution - CNN

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

12. Likes jancollc, Steven-Canada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of Canada is on lock-down too and a lot of scam/robo calls come from here.

14. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The scammers can’t work from home? They have to go into the scam office?
    WTF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get 3 or 4 robocalls per day but they have changed, They are almost all now using tapes to start. If they get a reception from the person called, then the "closer" will get on the line.

Some of them are stupid, like the one that offered me an extended warranty on my 22 year old Dodge Truck. LOL.

I've also gotten fake calls from someone claiming to be from the IRS and another pretending to be from the Social Security Administration,

I have caller ID and I never answer them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wish I could drop the landline. It's nothing but phone spammers and it's stupidly expensive. I even have a fax, for christ sake. I can easily live without that old POS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently many of the robocallers (and other spam) utilize various voip services, and started up various COVID scams/robocalls in earnest recently. The gov threatened to deny *any* access to the internet of several of the VOIP companies unless they crack down on the spammers--I'm sure they'll find other venues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I wish I could drop the landline. It's nothing but phone spammers and it's stupidly expensive. I even have a fax, for christ sake. I can easily live without that old POS.
    I use Ooma for the "landline"; it's $5/month, and <$100 for the "box"; you can port over the "landline" number. It works well, voice quality basically just as good as the "landline", except the rare occasion that the broadband connection goes down. There's not any analog "landline" any longer anyhow (and no longer the voice-quality nor reliability), they are all digitally compressed, decompressed numerous times, go over wire, fiber, sattellite, cellular, cable, and any combination thereof, and generally the voice quality stinks for any phone or cellular call, except for rare occasions. Apparantly carriers don't make much effort to optimize their compression algorithms between different carriers, so when going thru multiple carriers the voice quality stinks more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My numbers have fallen sharply. However, if the name of the caller is not known, such as "unavailable" or "cell phone call" I just let it go to the answering machine. Occasionally, one will be valid but must are just a 'click'.

Tom

21. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My junk mail went from 5-6 per day to one or none.

I was getting about 15 junk calls per day. People around me were complaining about how often my phone was ringing so I turned on Silence Unknown Callers on my iPhone. Took about a week but now I only get one or two per day, sometimes none.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    I get 3 or 4 robocalls per day but they have changed, They are almost all now using tapes to start. If they get a reception from the person called, then the "closer" will get on the line.

Some of them are stupid, like the one that offered me an extended warranty on my 22 year old Dodge Truck. LOL.

I've also gotten fake calls from someone claiming to be from the IRS and another pretending to be from the Social Security Administration,

I have caller ID and I never answer them.

OK, so how on Earth doo you know the previous statements - given that you "never answer them"?

I answer everything (or else what - let it ring?) and yet I have no clue of the things that you mention as I hang up if I hear anything that doesn't sound like a person to person call within about 2 seconds.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    OK, so how on Earth doo you know the previous statements - given that you "never answer them"?

I answer everything (or else what - let it ring?) and yet I have no clue of the things that you mention as I hang up if I hear anything that doesn't sound like a person to person call within about 2 seconds.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

My Panasonic desk telephones have speakers in them that identify the calling number and when the tape starts you can hear the message without picking up or answering. Recently my phone company also started identifying odd numbers with the message "potential spam".

Many of the numbers lack an area code on caller ID as well. Those are identified as spam.