What's new
What's new

CREATIVE UNEMPLOYMENT - for empolyers & employees

nakedanvil

Aluminum
In these time when everyone is looking over their shoulder, I thought this might be worthwhile bringing up. When a cutback is needed we all certainly get rid of any deadwood we can, but often we get down to people we would like to retain. Consider scheduled layoffs. Instead of laying off say 25% of your people, why not lay everyone off 25%? The Washington State Employment Security dept. welcomes this kind of thing. People work say three week on and one week they collect unemployment. This works out a lot better for the employees than cutting back to 32 hours per week, as is sometimes done. Always check with your unemployment dept to see what creative programs they support.

Employees: If you are worried about layoffs, talk to your boss, often they don’t even think of any other way.

Now my problem is my two employees: I don’t know whether to lay Mary or Jack off!

Here in Canada there is a similar program, but here the employees get one day off per week and then collect unemployment for that day.

So is Jack your right hand man?

In California this is refered to as a "work share" program thru the Employment Development Dept. It CAN be benificial to those who cannot afford ANY type of pay cut or reduction in hours.(living check to check)

The thing that I would caution against, is that as soon as you start the program, It effectivly starts your unemployment claim.

Imagine if things got even worse after a few months, and you were in fact laid off, and needed to collect FULL unemployment benefits, the amount of time you can collect, is based on when you FIRST opened the claim(work share).

In these times - at least here in the Great Lakes Region, I don't think there will eny end to unemployment dividends for some time. As long as the unemployment rate is what it is - there are plenty of folks WANTING jobs that won't find one. The time issue is mostly for deadbeats, but then they just would fall into the welfare system enyhow. Very little diff... (from a state finance point of view.) May as well let those who want to work at least not feel totally werthless and call it welfare....

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back