Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    "absorbing the cost, and then pricing higher next time" will simply drive the customer away for good.

It's been covered here before, but adopting "variable pricing" based on your mood/delivery time/customer problems is bad for business.

Give them a high price next time, and they think that is the new normal
    (because you didn't work out this problem, and explain yourself to the customer) pricing, they will start looking elsewhere.

Keep the customer informed.
    This is completely correct, with one caveat. If you have high pricing, I'm going to assume you're expensive. The exception is in your last line, if you communicate. I had a few trusted shops that would occasionally quote high, but when they did, they'd tell me why. For example, if they were really busy and could fit me in if I needed it, but it was going to cost overtime money.

2. Likes digger doug, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Can the customer use the parts in the "old" configuration? Maybe they just need some mating parts made off the same "old" drawing to be able to do so. If they have a way to use them then everybody wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Seems like if what you propose were possible it would have already been discussed and this thread would not exist.
    Why? The whole problem began with lack of communication between customer and middle man, why would we believe they are communicating now, and discussing anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
    I was told I was being a dick when I suggested that lol

You might be, but your still right.

If parts are made to print and that is the print offered to you, then your parts are good...just not usable and that is the end customers fault. If a real good customer and they were willing to eat the whole thing, I might cut them a bit of a break. Something along the lines of a quantity break a discount...but under the full understanding they are completely at fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't imagine sending the wrong drawing out and then asking the vendor to eat it for me.

The only time I ever had anything like that was a powdercoater that took 6 months to coat parts (5 months past promised date). There had been a revision and those parts were no longer any good so I told them how they lost my business and what cavity they could put those parts.

6. Likes Griffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Years ago a friend of mine was given the wrong drawing, made the parts only for them to be rejected.

The customer fessed up to the mistake, and asked whether my friend would eat the parts, and run again for free.

He refused, said it wasn't his mistake, ran the parts and got paid for both sets.

Customer went quiet, a few months later my friend asked him if he had any work as it was slow at his shop. Customer said "remember that time I asked you to help me out? Sorry can't help you"

Apparently that was the beginning of the end for his shop.
    So, you can choose to risk losing business by not bending over for a bad customer, or choose to lose money by bending over for a bad customer.
    S

8. Likes Yan Wo, Oldwrench, dkmc, MetalCarnage, SIM and 1 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    So, you can choose to risk losing business by not bending over for a bad customer, or choose to lose money by bending over for a bad customer.
    S
    Yup...I wonder if the customer sent the job to china, how would it would get settled ?

"No tickey, No Laundry" is probably the answer from China.

"We make part, you pay cash now"

10. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    S
    It's never that easy though is it? It's the classic caught between a rock and a hard place situation.

If they had re-run the job at their expense they would have taken a one time hit, on the other hand they likely would have retained the customer.

So what do you do? Take the hit, placate the customer and carry on.
    Or
    Tell them you'll charge for the 2nd set and then lose the customer.
    So
    Apparently with hindsight my friend would have gone with the second option, whether it would have saved his company who knows.
    Last edited by triumph406; 10-22-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Do folks msg customers asking for work? Seems crazy to me.
    When we're slow, we will call customers and let them know we had an opening in machine time for x,y,z machine/s. If they had anything they needed quoted we could do a quick turn around. Usually works out pretty well as someone always has some "hot" work they need done.

13. Likes doug925 liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd have a polite conversation and ask if "we could meet halfway" on the costs.
    I'd like to think I could at least recover the cost of the purchasing of the material...

15. Likes triumph406, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I'd have a polite conversation and ask if "we could meet halfway" on the costs.
    I'd like to think I could at least recover the cost of the purchasing of the material...
    I agree in fact no anger should be shown if one does not know when best to apply it. It happens and most have dealt with things like this fairly before.

One thing to consider is to learn from things like this which happen and make a check list of things to do to avoid misunderstandings or to better apply blame/ responsibility. Ask them if this print is the correct revision even if you just ran them because things often change. This way if you checked on that then you are more likely to get a fair compensation.

One outfit we did a lot of work for would have us make complex parts and after they were done would turn around Nd order double if they liked the parts. We did them no problem and they also would have parts made and then made changes on the part and then asked us right away to run the new parts. Think it wastes money? Maybe and likely not in the long run. To them the money is made implementing the value added because of the revision.

I could relate easily a handful of other examples or variations of this issue. Once you implement a procedure to stop that is when these problems will minimize and at least land you in a better position to be paid in full or compensated in part.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ask the "light box" what to do.

18. Likes dkmc, charlie gary, Bobw, Mickey_D liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a side note to the whole right and wrong thing here.
    If you are using a light box to compare parts to a drawing that is just bad practice. It might ok for woodworking, but precision metalwork, sheesh. There is a reason dimensions are on a drawing. Not to mention if the print came out of a desktop printer - those aren’t exactly precision machines.

20. Likes bucktruck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post
    Just a side note to the whole right and wrong thing here.
    If you are using a light box to compare parts to a drawing that is just bad practice. It might ok for woodworking, but precision metalwork, sheesh. There is a reason dimensions are on a drawing. Not to mention if the print came out of a desktop printer - those aren’t exactly precision machines.
    It all depends on the tolerances, there are a lot of cases where "looks right, all the features are present, and the holes will bolt up" is a good enough inspection. I had some grind spacers that were done. All clearance holes and a profile that didn't touch anything. I definitely inspected that by putting it on the print and seeing if it looked right. Obviously when it came time to grind it, they used a mic, but there's no reason to waste money over-inspecting something.

22. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK here is what we decided. Little more back story though. After this whole thing blew up the customer called up the owner who he has done business with before. More on that in a bit. Calling everyone a liar that he never approved these prints (that he gave us) and bla bla bla. Well the owner told him to calm down he would talk to us. So the next day he actually comes to the shop and says "Well the asshole called me and said the parts were wrong but how can we get him to pay for them anyhow." Jokes on the customer we called the owner and showed him our paper trail and he already knew we were right and that this guy is a tool. So during the coarse of figuring the best way to get our money from him without getting the police or lawyers involved it turns out the owner had done work with this guy years ago. The story was very similar to what has already been said this time around. Wrong drawing moving the goal post on delivery times rejecting parts so on and so on. He actually commended us for putting up with as much as we did because the owners reaction to this guy's BS was to take every wip part in the shop related to him throw it all on a pallet and then dump it in the guys parking lot. Then told him to never contact his business again.

So long story short. ya were going to fix these part and ya we will finish the order because that's what we agreed to and were a company of our word. But were not going to let him take delivery with out a check paying for the wrong parts as well as any future parts in his hand when he walks in the door.

24. Likes MetalCarnage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the update, and good luck. I hope you get paid in full, let us know if that happens?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a lesson here....history has shown not to deal with the guy ever again after the first time of aggravation....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    There is a lesson here....history has shown not to deal with the guy ever again after the first time of aggravation....

While on one hand your right...the other hand says some people think we are a store where we have the parts sitting in a back storeroom.

Oh...wrong size let me see if we have the ones you want in the back.

Oh, your lucky day! The last 1000 pcs just like you need and passivized too! Would you like to return those for a full credit or hold onto them in case you need at a later date. Oh, you'd like to return, please let me see your receipt. OK, great, have a nice day...

I find...explain a little, sometimes they get it and become a good customer. Other times they are always a pain in the rump.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i had a customer once was too good to be true.....he demanded to pay in advance.....then i found out why he was banned from every shop in a hundred miles.....he was OK for about twelve months,then he had the most incredible temper tantrum I have ever seen over some insignificant problem....just like a 6ft ,200 lb baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Light box thing freaks me out. Relying on the precision of a page coming out of their printer? Scan their prints to dxf and cut away. Matches the drawing. Back it up by scanning some gauge blocks as reference.

30. Likes Yan Wo, Bobw liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Back it up by scanning some gauge blocks as reference.
    THIS!!

32. Likes Yan Wo, digger doug, Bobw, swatkins liked this post