UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Yet as i look at your avatar i can't help but laugh...:
    That is an avatar that made me chuckle.....its not a lifestyle statement........electronic version of a bumper sticker lol

2. Likes Hodge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toolsteel View Post
    Needing them to weed out the guy who says he has been in manufacturing for years but has really been deburring parts or unloading a mold press.
    You must have been around some highly competent HR people, I have not. Even though at the large company I worked at the HR people constantly walked into the plant none of them would know a CNC lathe from a toaster. The thing they did with applicants is explain company policy and then told me what I was allowed to do with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toolsteel View Post
    Looking at some of the responses here makes me wonder. If a person goes into an interview, impromptu meeting, or even just a phone call with the attitudes I have seen I can understand why they dont get hired. Those opinions cant be hidden very well.
    After I started forming my negative opinion of HR people on my first machining job, I managed to get hired something like 7 more times before I struck out on my own. In my place and time hopping around was the best way to get a wider range of experience and to climb the pay scale quickly. When I started I was a quick learner and had high energy. The problem was the places I worked didn't want to bump someone up the pay scale to match their increase in ability if they did not have significant time under their belt. I was rehired at 3 places in the 14 years I worked for the man. It is pretty stupid that company policy prevented more than a 50 cent an hour merit raise, but they will rehire you for an extra $2.50 six months later and they called you, you did not call them.

5. Likes adama, sfriedberg, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All you need to remember about HR people is they are misnamed. They should be called Company Resource people. They will never have your interests at heart.

Treat them accordingly.

7. Likes Joe Miranda, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Have a terrible opinion of HR and of all the jobs I have interviewed for only once have I not been extended and offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rewt View Post
    All you need to remember about HR people is they are misnamed. They should be called Company Resource people. They will never have your interests at heart.

Treat them accordingly.
    Exactly! I have had bosses that risked their own ass to stick up for someone under their supervision who had been wronged. I had never seen an HR person do that, even an HR manager. They have always been company yes men no matter what.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the most part I agree. My old job had a pretty large HR department that didn't seem to do anything at all because we managed everything thru our intranet services (apps). However, there was one guy that went over and above in helping me (my wife actually) file for short term disability that was company paid and sponsored.

thanks Kevin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have any social media presence either delete it all or at least make it so private that nobody but you can see it. You can bet that will be something they will look for. Even if you only have postings about knitting and kittens the HR "person" will be allergic to cats and have been raised by an evil stepmother that used knitting needles for punishment weapons. Until you are in the door the less they can find out about your personal life the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    If you have any social media presence either delete it all or at least make it so private that nobody but you can see it. You can bet that will be something they will look for. Even if you only have postings about knitting and kittens the HR "person" will be allergic to cats and have been raised by an evil stepmother that used knitting needles for punishment weapons. Until you are in the door the less they can find out about your personal life the better.
    All of my negative opinions of HR people were formed long before social media. I left working for the man when most people didn't even have internet and never had more than 5 employees so no longer a need for HR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    All of my negative opinions of HR people were formed long before social media. I left working for the man when most people didn't even have internet and never had more than 5 employees so no longer a need for HR.
    I have no love for HR, also from long before social media. I was just saying to OP that HR could look into his life through his own social media info and I would delete that info if it was mine.

Place I worked at couple decades ago: A girl (both of us early 30's at the time) in another dept and I got to liking each other so went on some lunch dates and then then dinner dates... Turns out the HR woman is the MOTHER of this girls ex boyfriend and wanted the looser son and the girl to get back together...I was then a target and have paperwork showing I was fired... then layed off... then furloughed... then the HR got the axe she deserved and company VP asked me to come back. I told him I would think about it. Never did return, been on my own ever since. Shit, typing this out makes me think I should thank that HR POS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Never did return, been on my own ever since. Shit, typing this out makes me think I should thank that HR POS.
    These threads bring bad horror stories of working for the man for me also. To me a bad day working for myself beats a good day working for the man any day of the week.

15. Likes Larry Dickman, Rob F., Hodge liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am surprised that you have had to deal with the HR people that much.
    I've been looking for a new job for 2 months now and the only time I talk to HR is when they call to setup an interview.
    I've been to 6 interviews in the two months and it has always been with the shop foreman/manager/lead machinist.
    I've been asked a few simple questions by the HR on the phone but that is it.

Do your interviews start with the HR first?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fancuku View Post
    I am surprised that you have had to deal with the HR people that much.
    I've been looking for a new job for 2 months now and the only time I talk to HR is when they call to setup an interview.
    I've been to 6 interviews in the two months and it has always been with the shop foreman/manager/lead machinist.
    I've been asked a few simple questions by the HR on the phone but that is it.

Do your interviews start with the HR first?
    In my experience, and I had my first machining job in 1979, the larger the company the more likely HR is heavily involved in the hiring process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HR / Human Rejects use Behavioral based interviewing , they are best kept at an arms length relationship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To all of the "HR" haters I have one simple question.
    Ever had 60+ employees of your own? ... It's messy and somebody is always pissed about something.
    Bob

20. Likes Greg White, Fancuku, Shawnrs liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Ever had 60+ employees of your own? ... It's messy and somebody is always pissed about something.
    Bob
    "Herding Cats" is what my boss calls it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel bad for HR because of all the headaches and stupid shit they have to deal with on a regular basis. Imagine sitting in a room where you have to remove a disgruntle employee or an emotional employee from the plant. Think of all the really stupid shit that happens at your company and imagine being the person that has to address these issues all the time. For example we had a company meeting over using our bathrooms because some dumbass got into a argument over using a bathroom that was being cleaned by the cleaning crew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob
    This is imo is the core of the problem. HR should be an admin function, kind of like book keeping....absolutely necessary to keep everything straight but not strategic. Keeping track of things like, pay holidays benefits training qualifications, dealing with issues, communications, keeping abreast with legal and so on are important administrative functions.

However hiring people? That imo is strategic and should not be the purview of anyone but senior leaders who 'get' the business and what they need from people. People are the most important part of a business, what sort of leader sloughs this off to a admin functionary? Have HR work out the details, but I'm meeting them, setting the tone, pitching the company and future and making the decision with the manager with whom they'll be working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob
    Most I ever had was 5 employees. Now it is just me and most days that is what I prefer. I understand the need for HR in large companies. I just was never fond of the way the HR people I interacted with. They acted like they were above everyone who worked in the shop and had ungodly power. When I had my interaction with the HR manager when I was 19 and was sitting at his desk the dude stood up and and waved his finger in my face like I was a little boy he was scolding. Most would have perceived him as acting in a threatening manner. I could have kicked his ass with one arm behind my back.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never seen such vitriol in a post here until now. The best advice to anyone seeking any job is to be polite, fluid in your speech, answer the questions as they are asked with a touch of personalized detail so not to come off as cookie cutter. If you follow any of the shit advice found here you will certainly not get the job. Often times the HR person will be in the presence of people involved with the actual job because they know as well as you do that they can't possibly pretend to know what the actual job is about.

Be a decent human and if you have the right skills and can speak persuasively, the job is yours. Leave all this hatred aside and let these people be bitter about whatever trivial thing that is ruining their day.

26. Likes charlie gary, Greg White liked this post