What's new
What's new

Deciding on Magnetic Particle Inspection equipment possibility

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Established customer sends RFQ inclusive of MPI (among other things) as part of the job. Never had it, never cared, but possibly willing to obtain MPI capability for the ability to win this specific job. Parts are relatively small, on the order of 1" diameter x 1/2" thick and 3" diameter x 1/8" thick. I am thinking that a decent portable unit would cover what we need it to do and be small enough to store in a cabinet when not needed. What can we expect to have to pay for a decent unit, new? Is it worth looking into a used one? If so, what to look for in way of condition and accessories? Thanks.

Does the RFQ specify you have to do it in house? I have always subbed out MPI testing. I think there may have to be training certs for the operator? Lots of NDT companies out there.

Does the RFQ specify you have to do it in house? I have always subbed out MPI testing. I think there may have to be training certs for the operator? Lots of NDT companies out there.

It does, but I've discovered just how much red tape this might turn into so have asked to have the rfq relaxed to allow subbing this out, now. I'm now thinking that I just don't need this kind of headache in my life at this point. Thanks.

We had a neighbor who was an MPI guy at the Naval Air Rework Facility in Alameda and he told me one time that he came to hate his job after doing it for 20 years, only because his decisions could mean life or death for someone. Better to send it out.

Back