What's new
What's new

Dedicated slip roll for wire/bar

robert123

Stainless
I am looking for a slip roll to make 30" diameter hoops from 3/16" steel wire. We have a 4 ft wide powered slip roll with wire grooves that will do it, but does anyone make a dedicated machine just for wire? It just needs to be strong enough to do it in one pass and be electric powered.

I am looking for a slip roll to make 30" diameter hoops from 3/16" steel wire. We have a 4 ft wide powered slip roll with wire grooves that will do it, but does anyone make a dedicated machine just for wire? It just needs to be strong enough to do it in one pass and be electric powered.

Harbor Freight, and a drill motor....

Buy a ring roller and make grooved sleeves for the wire sizes of interest. That's as close as you are going to get to a dedicated single-function machine.

In actual tools, as opposed to Harbor Freight, Lubow was the american machine to use for this kind of thing. Most common used are the 250 model, which will do 1" to 36" diameter rings in round bar up to 1/4". But its a real machine- probably in the 3000 pound range, and, even used, a fair amount of money- my guess would be between five and ten grand. That said, you set it up, feed it 12' or 20' pieces, or even spools of wire, and it will roll and cut rings all day long.
These guys are selling some older machines- looks like they have one, but they would be good to pick the brains of, as that is their business- rolling, not selling machines. bending | worth-steel

Lubow Model AR 250 Ring Roller | FH Machinery Inc.

I think this is a screaming deal on the almost perfect tool. If I could think of a use I would have it

Rolling Mill, jewelry making equipment - tools - by owner - sale

I have used machines like this- and its purpose is to size wire, not to make circles. Its only got two rolls. I have a friend who has a couple like this, I go down and make square wire on it. It works great for breaking down 1/2" square into 3/8" and 1/4" square, but its not a ring roller- it only has 2 rolls, not 3. You cant make repeated size circles with it.

to make circles you need a 3 roll machine.

I have used machines like this- and its purpose is to size wire, not to make circles. Its only got two rolls. I have a friend who has a couple like this, I go down and make square wire on it. It works great for breaking down 1/2" square into 3/8" and 1/4" square, but its not a ring roller- it only has 2 rolls, not 3. You cant make repeated size circles with it.

to make circles you need a 3 roll machine.

Well, that a bummer, you'da thought I could count that high by now. First time I need a third wheel and it ain't there

And to add a bit of fuel to this fire...the bastardization of junk from Harbor freight is going to result in a roll that turns so freaking fast you'll have to be on 'speed' to manage the items you're trying to make.

Stuart

I realize the HF is a cobble job, and will probably only last for 10k' of wire (it has oilite bushings, I own one)
Even welding up a feed tube to speed up the process, and keep the fingers away from the wheels.

But by that point, the OP will have gotten the job out, made some money, and
figure out what improvements they want in the next machine.

FYI the cool kids use the HF pipe threader for low rpm turning. I would probably continue to use the OPs slip roll...maybe with some clamp on guides, depending on quantity.

Another 'cobble' would be a powered bead roller with third wheel somehow attached.

FYI the cool kids use the HF pipe threader for low rpm turning. I would probably continue to use the OPs slip roll...maybe with some clamp on guides, depending on quantity.

Another 'cobble' would be a powered bead roller with third wheel somehow attached.

Too slow....get on with the program ....:D

If you have a slip roller for sheet metal you can take the rolls off and cut grooves in the rolls at one end for what you need size wise. We did that for rolling 3/8 square stock back in my working days and it worked like a champ.

Couldn't find a picture of my two roll ring roller.

Here's a picture of a two roller using urethane, same concept. The third roll of the Di Acro slip roll is not used. That's a sheet of urethane under the aluminum piece. You can see the end of the aluminum is rolled, no flats.

slip-roll-trick.jpg

Yup, Diacro made those in a bench model.
I saw a pipe roller made (for rolling 1" pipe into a 36" dia. ring)
that also had only 2 rollers.
They were geared to "fight" each other, and rolled a ring.

I mounted a pair of HF pipe threaders to drive two pairs of 10K semi trailer landing gears.

I've lifted, loaded and unloaded a few hundred thousand pounds of mills and lathes with that setup. Many in quarters tighter than any forklift could get into. Only other option would be cut out the roof and bring in a huge crane. I think the HF pipe threaders are a pretty good deal if you can mill the 8 sided drive slugs you need to utilize them.

I mounted a pair of HF pipe threaders to drive two pairs of 10K semi trailer landing gears.

I've lifted, loaded and unloaded a few hundred thousand pounds of mills and lathes with that setup. Many in quarters tighter than any forklift could get into. Only other option would be cut out the roof and bring in a huge crane. I think the HF pipe threaders are a pretty good deal if you can mill the 8 sided drive slugs you need to utilize them.

sounds interesting...care to share a picture(s)?

This will be used at another facility to make ~500 rings per week on an ongoing basis. The ring ends will be overlapped and welded. My plan was to purchase wire straightened and cut to length so that we could just feed it through and then weld the rings. The machine we have is a Jet with 75mm (~3" diameter rolls) and it costs about $4500, so we would need to buy another one (I'm not giving ours up).

I'm not a fan of the HF idea. It sounds like they are not going to hold up well and it would take engineering (my) effort to make things workable. A motor would need to be geared (or maybe a belt and pulley) to get an appropriate speed, and it would definitely need some guards added for safety.

That Lubow machine is interesting in that it will run from continuous wire which could eliminate the cost of having it straightened and cut. However, we will make different size rings (30" is the smallest and 40" is the biggest) and it says max 36" diameter.

Using a pyramid type powered roller you can feed in bazillion foot length of material, making a long 'slinky', then cutting it into perfect rings in a second operation. This results in a single lead-in, lead-out flat spot for the entire 'slinky'. I used this method for many years to make 12" diameter rings from square and round brass material. After rolling, the 'slinky' was cut into individual rings, clamped to a jig and silver soldered.

Doing one ring at a time is counter productive.

Stuart

Wildrings.jpg

Kind of seems to me you need a way to uncoil the wire to the right diameter rather than straighten it then recoil ti. That machine

Rolling Mill, jewelry making equipment - tools - by owner - sale

might be a real good place to start after all

Back