What's new
What's new

Department Names

beege

Stainless
Hi everyone.

My boss asked for a "title" or "name of group" that has 21st century overtones, and not "CNC Department". Can't have "Department", "Group", "Room" in the name. What other names for "CNC Department" have you heard of or use? One I've come up with is "Robotic Reproductions".... anyone else? TIA

Beege

Goofy names are the hallmark of a dumb leader who wants to make the mark with things his/her way. Reinvent the wheel and need an explanation for every move rather than simple-is-best. Milling/ Turning / Assembly suggest the the function well.

there is already enough confusion in manufacturing with not adding more.

But this kind of guy/gal knows everything and will get hopping mad if anyone should suggest anything at all because being the boss is more important than success.
IMHO

I need to buy some some chipits...What? We don't have chipits.. You know they are called mill cutters in your catalog.. Oh yes we have mill cutters. What style of insert do you want? Dognut kind..We don't have that kind..

Robotic Reproductions? are they another robot or parts made by robots..or are they reprogrammed robots?

Here I want you to re write this surface grinder manual in your own 21st century words..and don't use the words grind, grinder or wheels.

I don't know, but extra marks if you can get the acronym to be rude and get it passed before thats noticed :-)

There was a classic episode of the Simpsons, where Homer is trying to
choose the name of his newly created Website.

Got it: change the CNC shop/department to

The artificial intelligence analog and numeral response expanse. Where the chipits function with employing dognots for the creation of fragmentaries.

Beautiful. I'm quite comfortable with the old "CNC Dept", but jeez....

Material removal department, not to be confused with the garbage cans.
When I worked at Lawrence Berkeley Lab they just numbered the buildings in the order that they were built from building 1 onward. I worked in building 74 I think the only building near us was 86. When buildings where torn down their numbers were not reused. This meant there was no logical order to the numbering system. I understand Japan does not have street number addresses and they do fine without.
At school they change the name of the supervision office every few years to make it more PC. During my career it has gone from supervision, in school suspension, in school, intervention, student care center, and back to intervention.
Only at one School has it remained colloquialy "D-36". teachers send students "go to D-36" and do not worry about the new official PC name.
They built two new high schools from the same plan but flipped one 180 degrees. The buildings have letter names A, C, M, N, L. I have no idea where they came up with those letters. Administration is not in the A building and the library is not in the L building.
Bill D
On those new schools they spent hundreds of thousands on heavy welder metal shade awnings/grates over some of the windows. They look like platforms for painters to use. They made sure to use these on NORTH facing windows as well.

Last edited:
The boss.."I don't know what to tell my workers to do next, so I will just make up something stupid to keep them busy'

Make up new names that will be good for a time...

Knew a girl engineer who had not been given a job for perhaps two years so she just played with her computer for that time, go figure...she did what she was told...

Hi everyone.

My boss asked for a "title" or "name of group" that has 21st century overtones, and not "CNC Department". Can't have "Department", "Group", "Room" in the name. What other names for "CNC Department" have you heard of or use? One I've come up with is "Robotic Reproductions".... anyone else? TIA

Beege

#CNC Mills
#CNC Lathes
#CNC Manufacturing,

Last edited:
My boss asked for a "title" or "name of group" that has 21st century overtones, and not "CNC Department". Can't have "Department", "Group", "Room" in the name.

"Twenty-first century overtones." My God. Obviously an individual with nothing useful to occupy his time. This sounds like an excerpt from one of Scott Adams' Dilbert books. About 20 years ago a consultant suggested we rename every box on the org chart to end in "Team," as in "Assembly Team," "Test Team," "Order Processing Team," etc. I did that, actually printing up new org charts and handing them out (along with a Team Meeting schedule—another exercise in timewastage) but it sounded so artificial to say "team" in connection with work nobody would use it in conversation. Finally it was consigned to the Chickenshit Management Ideas locker, where it remains.

Goofy names are the hallmark of a dumb leader who wants to make the mark with things his/her way. Reinvent the wheel and need an explanation for every move rather than simple-is-best. Milling/ Turning / Assembly suggest the the function well.

there is already enough confusion in manufacturing with not adding more.

But this kind of guy/gal knows everything and will get hopping mad if anyone should suggest anything at all because being the boss is more important than success.
IMHO

I need to buy some some chipits...What? We don't have chipits.. You know they are called mill cutters in your catalog.. Oh yes we have mill cutters. What style of insert do you want? Dognut kind..We don't have that kind..

Robotic Reproductions? are they another robot or parts made by robots..or are they reprogrammed robots?

Here I want you to re write this surface grinder manual in your own 21st century words..and don't use the words grind, grinder or wheels.

:bowdown:

"Robotic Reproductions" would be the Fanuc, Motoman, ABB, and similar plants where robots actually build new robots.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back