What's new
What's new

Dimensioning parts sheet or data table

WILLTELL2388

Plastic
Hey guys im wondering how yall go about pulling dimensions from a drawing or solidworks file to a excel sheet. How is it done if possible? Right now im having to type every dimension in a excel sheet for every part that i make.

For hole tables you can right click and "save as" in excel format. For other dimensions I believe there's a macro floating around the internet for doing it or if the part is designed using a Design Table you can export that.

What software? I think it was inventor you could export stuff to Excel. Although I could not tell you how any more...

I've driven several CAD systems, and never had the reason to.

Why do you need to do this ?

I agree, that any hand keying of numbers can only lead to error, and is tedious. if you can extract them, great.

I need to record all data for every part is why. What is another way? We use SolidWorks.

Isn't the drawing or the solid model keeping that record for you ?

EDIT: or are trying to export a list of dimensions for use in inspection ?
So you can check them off as good, or red mark as missed ?

Your "functions" list (that's what inventor calls it) should have them all in there.

The drawing and solid model have the dimensions on there. On the print. However when i go to run 50 of them i need to be able to keep record of every 5 parts and their dimensions. So instead of hand writing it or typing up an excel spreadsheet, im trying to find a way to pull all the dimensions from the drawing and have them in a table format in excel.

Yes trying to export a list for inspection for the operators.

Inventor?

Sorry about posting, didnt know you were over the website. However ive ran into times were i only posted once and no replies but when i make multiple i get a response. Also its all done at the same time when i make the threads. Not hours or days apart.

Man, I really like that add-on, but $4k for it? That is darn near another seat of Solidworks standard! We use Solidworks for our CAD, and HSMWorks for our CAM. Because I get HSMWorks with our Fusion360 entitlement, I have been opening Fusion, and using the new option for creating manual inspection reports. I can select features right from the model, and apply tolerances , names, and such. You then can create multiple inspections, each one being saved individually, and generate a PDF. All this information gets saved with your model for future reference. This is still a beta feature that you need to enable if you wish to try it, and being such, it's not perfectly streamlined, and I wish it were more robust, but it has been a fairly handy tool for us.

Back