Diversity of business, do you have side gigs? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    Could be a result of Covid restrictions. With all the bars closed where will the lumberjacks dressed up in women's clothing hang out?
    At Monty Python's, of course.

2. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    I seem to recall hearing a story about a guy who called into work to tell his boss that he was going to stay home and think about how he was going to come up with the money to pay his bills.
    I had that dude. Called in one day, "I've been missing a lot of work lately, and I need to take the day
    off to figure out why".

You'd think he was a lazy asshole. He wasn't.. He was a good dude, he was a good worker..
    He had "issues". And knowing what he told me of his back ground... Yeah....I... It
    wasn't good, and went on for a LONG time.. Not just childhood... but beyond. Well into
    adult hood.

We shuffled some hours and what not.. Did what we could.. I never kept track of call outs on him.
    I knew he'd be there when I needed him.

He was a stand up guy, if I needed a skilled guy, I'd love to have him now, but I don't need one.

Now if any other person had called and said that.. They'd probably be gone. Place
    prior to that one, I had one kid who's grandmother died 7 times in one year. He was
    useless... Mainly because he was never at work, and at that job, we primarily needed
    the body with opposable thumbs, not necessarily the brains.

4. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    prior to that one, I had one kid who's grandmother died 7 times in one year.
    Reminds me of the subject of my locked thread here: My continued struggle to find decent shop help

Came to me crying (literally) because his brother just died in a motorcycle accident.
    Google told me that night that: yep, brother died in a motorcycle accident, 8 months ago!

6. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The government gives employers a cash bonus for employing someone in a non employable group....old timers,jail birds,disabled ,etc bonus paid from $4000 upward,but after 6 months employment....I think aboriginies attracted something like $7000 bonus...and generally have a lot of time off for funerals,cause they have a lot of 'lations who are prone to dying (true)....Generally quite nice people ,but get itchy feet and go walkabout before the year is out....and my job was to make sure Col got his bonus for six months employment......I dont know if the bonus was non taxable,but I know Col and his partner Paul would pocket the cash ,and not put it through the books.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sawmill...........funny.........I just picked up a used hydraulic band mill last Fall. I'm gonna saw up a 30-40k board feet of various hardwoods for my own use, and many future projects in later years of life. When I'm done with it I plan on selling it. It's parked out front in view of the road. I have folks stopping by all the time asking questions. Can you saw up some logs for me, can I rent it, or can I buy it? Nope.................but if the economy tanks maybe I want to keep it around................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it tanks far enough that you are worrying about groceries, no-one else will have $ to pay for your wood.

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

10. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    If it tanks far enough that you are worrying about groceries, no-one else will have $ to pay for your wood.

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Could happen...................can't print all that money and think it's all gonna work out..................make sure you have enough smokes, C rations, and bullets.................

12. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only go through prolly 10 bullets a year, so ...

Had to shoot 2 coon in my dumpster in the last year.
    Crawl up the side, open the lid and climb in, but then can't git out...

I hate shootin' coon...
    They die such a hard death.

On the other hand, I'd love to kill all (any) of them in the ceiling in my old shop!
    I can smell that building when walking out in the field down wind of it.

Yeah, I've got it stuffed to the gills anyhow....

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only go through prolly 10 bullets a year, so ...

Had to shoot 2 coon in my dumpster in the last year.
    Crawl up the side, open the lid and climb in, but then can't git out...

I hate shootin' coon...
    They die such a hard death.

On the other hand, I'd love to kill all (any) of them in the ceiling in my old shop!
    I can smell that building when walking out in the field down wind of it.

Yeah, I've got it stuffed to the gills anyhow....

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Coons just got in my home shop last week, tossed the office I just spruced up(cat food was in there, also haven't seen the shop cat since). Got a buddy going to bring his red tick down to run the woods around the shop. I'll be damned if that's going to happen again.

15. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Before you start sawing ,get the best metal detector you can find.....otherwise your blade will be a metal detector,and will find nails ,fencing wire,spikes, AP bullets,and even horseshoes......Which is the reason local mills will not touch big hardwood logs from any kind of landclearing/develpoment .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Before you start sawing ,get the best metal detector you can find.....otherwise your blade will be a metal detector,and will find nails ,fencing wire,spikes, AP bullets,and even horseshoes......Which is the reason local mills will not touch big hardwood logs from any kind of landclearing/develpoment .
    Hit a bullet last night sawing. Didn't hurt a tooth. I do have a metal detector, and use it. General rule is don't saw anything that came from within 100 feet of a building. Local mills charge for every metal they hit. Usually about $35/tooth it takes out. A drywall screw can take out a dozen teeth.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wgnrr1 View Post
    Hit a bullet last night sawing. Didn't hurt a tooth.
    Lead is pretty forgiving when stationary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lead isn't always forgiving. We took a log in to the sawmill that wiped the blade out. Now, we are in lead country, but this was up 20 feet. Best we could figure was somebody shot at the same place for 50 years, this chunk was at least 6 inches across.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just have a diverse enough shop that there is always something that someone needs.

Turning Swiss to 40" rounds.

Milling up to 48 x 48.

Much of that is not in my preferred window, but I can doo it in a pinch.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

I should amend that:

When I started out - I started out full time. I did not ease into it in the evenings or whatnot, and for the most part, as a one man band, it didn't take much to keep busy - back when running a manual tool room. (CNC's weren't in every shop in '89. Actually, they were likely in less than half the shops.)

Anyhow, I did drive for Sudden Service that first fall - which I ass_u_me was their busy season, so I would get calls @ 5pm to make a run a few hours to a few states away, leaving at the drop of a hat. That did help to keep a smidge of cash flow as the shop didn't have a very positive flow at that time as everything I did required fetching more and new tooling.

The next few years I would take in trans rebuilding and 4wd work on the side as well.

So - yes, depending on where you are in your journey, it is good to not have tunnel vision and not turn anything away unless you are just too swamped.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad was outside sales for Sandvik Steel in the early 80's. He worked with alot of big saw mills.

One trip to check on a customer, the mill handed him a 2x8 with most of a mule shoe in it. Mule shoe was hung on a branch. That mule shoe won, completely destroyed the blade. I think it was a massive bandsaw blade iirc.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I knew a guy used to saw local stuff....he used to go round all the old mills buying the old steel blades they had replaced with carbide......and thats what he used ..steel blades ......There is one sawmill that saws up old bridge timbers and wharf timbers and demolition beams ,they have everykind of detector and even X ray .....but the old timber sells for a massive premium over new wood .....its like gold.

23. Likes digger doug, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    My dad was outside sales for Sandvik Steel in the early 80's. He worked with alot of big saw mills.

One trip to check on a customer, the mill handed him a 2x8 with most of a mule shoe in it. Mule shoe was hung on a branch. That mule shoe won, completely destroyed the blade. I think it was a massive bandsaw blade iirc.
    I have heard of the destruction that tree huggers cause by spiking trees.

They showed one of those large (IIRC 14" wide) bandsaw blades, came out of
    the saw, and killed a worker.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I have heard of the destruction that tree huggers cause by spiking trees.

They showed one of those large (IIRC 14" wide) bandsaw blades, came out of
    the saw, and killed a worker.
    Sounds like poor guarding, design, or process. Could have as easily been a horseshoe or fence section. Shouldn’t be a risk of killing someone when a chunk of metal, however large, comes up.

Where I’m from in Ohio it isn’t unusual to find a 3/16” thick piece of 2” angle that was a fence corner 100 years ago.

26. Likes Punkinhead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So why with allsorts of metal cutting bandsaw blades on the market can they not come up with a metal resistant blade that can cut wood? Around here it seems almost all residential hardwoods go to firewood. Having seen how much oak and maple cost per board foot that always seemed shamefully wasteful especially when you see a neighbor cutting down some 4ft diameter tree.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adammil1 View Post
    So why with allsorts of metal cutting bandsaw blades on the market can they not come up with a metal resistant blade that can cut wood? Around here it seems almost all residential hardwoods go to firewood. Having seen how much oak and maple cost per board foot that always seemed shamefully wasteful especially when you see a neighbor cutting down some 4ft diameter tree.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    The speeds (SFM), the feedrate & gullet size.

29. Likes Ox liked this post