UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    Splain something to me Lucy:
    Just how 'zactly is it different when the poor schmuck is standing and staring at the running machine, verses when he does the same sittin' down?

In fact I'd submit to you that in a large enough shop, one would be more prone to wander off and bullshit with the other bastard - who is also forced to stand - instead of
    sitting-by and "being one" with his machine!
    cycle time on a avg. beam is 2 -10 minutes, you spend that lounge time rigging the last beam and moving it into stacks, you nest the parts on the next stock piece, you clear the saw conveyor bin, you do get a few parts that are watching the world, sip some coffee - listen to machine, and try and get one more insight into what it is doing (how does a blade cut steel or a drill bit cut, are the drill settings optimized for that piece, or watch the machine monitor spit out commands (which teaches you troubleshooting and more when things are not right) - but you can fill at least 80 % of the part running time with other duties of machine operation. Maybe check parts, fill water bucket for next load of coolant, unstack and position beams on the infeed- just idk, work?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    When I was a kid I werked on a packing line (for 2.5 months before moving on...) and the one woman would just piss me off! This one woman sat on a stool and divied out sheets of paper to put on the line for assembly instructions and/or parts lists or whatever ...

I'm runnin' between 3 skids of different boards (ready to assemble furniture) and here she is - sweating up a storm and looking like the hardest werking person this side of the Mississippi!

She never rotated out that I recall. Not sure if there was some physical issue, or she was worthless anywhere else, or ????

But - had she stood up, I doubt that she was gunna git any more papers on the line ....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    There was a guy here on the manual punches about the same, only he stood - still couldn't move metal. I never felt bad about covering his overflow, because he tried and worked to his potential. Some days that was pretty low, then again still more than a sitting operators on NC machines.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Manitoba
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Removing stools is a absolutely terrible idea.The hit to morale alone isn't worth it.

Maximum productivity is always achieved with the most comfortable and ergonomic work space.

This is why I own my own business just couldn't tolerate terrible decisions by the upper management office chair warrior MBA types.

4. Likes Bobw, cnctoolcat, empwoer, tdmidget, Oldwrench and 1 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I go back and forth in my mind on this issue. We are small, me, one full time and 2 part time guys. I run a machine most days. I dont sit when running. I let my guys sit as long as the machine is running, but honestly dont like it unless its a long run time roughing out. In my mind ( and maybe Im wrong ), if you are 100% involved in your work you are fully prepared to sto the machine, hit single block or pull a shaving in an instant, as needed. We do short run stuff, 1-10pc, average maybe 4pcs/job. If running aluminum widgets, I can see needing a chair. But I am admittedly old school. It does still irk me a bit when one sits down.

I do know, in the end a blanket ban is not the answer. Each employee is responsible for productivity and should be handled individually.

I hate to bring this up, but its kinda like gun control, you cant violate the rights of all, due to the actions of a few. Punish the violator for his actions ( or lack of productivity )

6. Likes empwoer, tdmidget, J&H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgmrmike View Post
    ...Each employee is responsible for productivity and should be handled individually....
    As the owner and manager you are really responsible for productivity. I assume you make task assignments. If people are standing, or sitting, around don't you have the responsibility of assigning filler tasks?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So having no chairs in the shop and also the tables high enough so that perhaps a step ladder to climb up on is the best way for a operator to sit down on the work table. Taking away the means to sit down is the best option.

That effects behavior and forces the issue. Then having them do as many things as possible like demurring any part which needs it, cleaning up the general area while working would be required also.

Is that good for production? The machines that run will run mostly as efficient as they are programmed to run and anything a employee might do extra makes no more money for them. There is really in the end only more work for the employee. During these times it is good to consider why they would wish to keep subjecting themselves to such a environment which does not value the work of a employee.

Fact is a company can just fire everyone who does not work how the company wants them to work. It is not the job of the company to foster advancement except in limited cases with favorites who they want to lend support to.

The reason more and more are refusing overtime is that they want to have a life and at work it becomes drudgery just surviving and giving their energy and youth to a degrading environment and culture.

These Millinials get a bum rap really the industry they work in has been killed off decades ago and they should not expect any better future than the one they can seek and find at any place they like better.

Managers can really be like the old time slave masters short of captivity , loss of freedom, and physical beatings. The old saying ¬“You will never make a lot of money or good money working for someone else¬” is very true. Unless one can find a job with a large company that makes money then if that is limited then pay and advancement also is limited.

The best thing I would suggest is to understand where one stands and to embrace paths that move you up in the world. No one will often give a darn about your advancement. Some might for a while yet you can not count on a lot of support. Where you may get support and encouragement enjoy and value it. Then when you can help someone else then you should do it.

Give a good boss their due and work well for them. This taking all the chairs away is draconian and if it increases production then maybe having a reduction in force will add profits.

How one wants to run their business and how they treat their employees establishes a real reputation often one different in reality than what a shop owner may wish it to be. Bottom line ownership and management run the company as they wish. They must be accountable to Law where that may be enforceable or not is something the employee must see. Because if their working conditions are bad then they should find the best place to work that they can.

That will fully manifest it over time. Law of cause and effect, Karma, or reap what you sow. A man or woman¬’s spiritual relationship is much more valuable to their job than their jobs. You can lose a job easy yet spirituality helps one to carry on in life. Spirituality is much more valuable to life as it is something a individual can choose to keep.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    So....long story short....new-ish manager above me decides everyone sits on their ass too much, and REMOVED ALL CHAIRS from the shop, whether it was an oxblood wingback from 1940, or a simple shop stool with wooden seat.

of course, that really pissed off all my guys (im plant manager and my bosses sometimes break chain of command when they want changes in the shop that i disagree with or move too slowly). Problem IS: operators are refusing to work overtime, complaining they can't stand for another 8/10 hrs per day. Some of that is retalitory, but honestly i don't mind if guys sit at their workbench while machine runs and after they have miscellaneous duties completed, especially after busting their asses the day/week/hours before. Chairs aren't the only thing making them unhappy, but it's #2 on the list besides $$$.

There are many other issues involved, but i am a player's coach, and i think that production can remain high while operators can recoup and recharge after setting up two or more machines and hitting cycle start. i believe that morale is higher when your knees and back aren't screaming at you on the ride home or to work.

Anyway, DOES YOUR SHOP HAVE CHAIRS? STOOLS? RECLINERS? Did they get banned? IS That NORMAL? I asked to allow operators to earn them back, and i'll do more policing if it's abused. For now, boss wants to keep chairs off the shop floor for the foreseeable future. I recommended 'stand-up' desks for the office personnel, and they thought i was joking. I see the pros and cons of both opinions, not sure if i should see how it turns out for awhile, OR, just buy some stools for guys who've earned it and set the bar high. Many of these guys are pushing retirement and a stool or workbench chair is humane i guess. Holy crap, am i corporate now? What has become of us?

I've worked in both types of shops, ones where you run 10 miles per day and don't have time to sit, and others where if your machine is running, you are working. Problem is, i've been here too long and i'd like to know what other shop policy is. WHAT IS YOUR SHOP POLICY REGARDING STOOLS/CHAIRS?
    Can ‹ start acting like a manager and stop posting alike an 18 year old girl ?

Some air needs let out of managers tires.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KMoffett View Post
    As the owner and manager you are really responsible for productivity. I assume you make task assignments. If people are standing, or sitting, around don't you have the responsibility of assigning filler tasks?
    Yes. In the end its on me, of course. But as the employer I have put it on them to be productive with everything within their control, and I will make sure they have what they need. I dont have the time, energy or patience to babysit. I dont hire trainees, and make it clear from the beginning that I expect full proficiency and ability, and pay scale reflects that. Really a technicality, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really don't see how removing stools from work benches will increase productivity in a CNC shop. As far as in the shop I only sit when editing a program. I will sit when packaging or sorting parts, but I go do that in the office.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have stools at the shop I work at. Management doesn't care if we sit because work is getting done regardless. And people don't abuse it either.

I would not work at a place where I couldn't sit a couple of times a day for a few minutes while the machine is running.

13. Likes Bobw, Hodge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Do U Allow Chairs in your CNC shop?

The Cathouse has always had stools at the machines.

Not just for my guys, but for me! As my feet and legs donít like standing on concrete all day.

Itís not that big of a deal to make sure your guys know when the machine cycle is finished, itís time to get up off the stool and tend the machine. (Of course all related tasks of operating the machine should be caught up.)

With all this talk of stools/chairs limiting productivity, I think itís just foolishness to push and push and expect your people to produce at the absolute maximum output every single minute of every day.

If your shop is that dependent on absolute maximum productivity, then maybe youíre quoting too cheap, or not providing the best machines and tools for the job?

I have rubber anti-fatigue mats at all the machines too. Actually most are double-stacked, to make a thick, soft surface to stand on.

Standing on bare concrete for years will kill a manís feet, knees, and back.

I cringe when I see pics of shops with no mats or stools. Poor machinistís are going to grow old with a lot of aches and pains, that could have been minimized with proper ergonomics.

A happy, healthy, painless employee is a productive employee.

ToolCat Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm gonna get the boss to get me one of those Herman Miller Aeron chairs.

The CNC job didn't have any chairs or stools, but with 6 min or less cycle times you didn't have time to really do anything, except load inspect and run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    I'm gonna get the boss to get me one of those Herman Miller Aeron chairs.

The CNC job didn't have any chairs or stools, but with 6 min or less cycle times you didn't have time to really do anything, except load inspect and run.

Your back and behind will love it.

Aeron Chair by Herman Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It never ceases to amaze me that the most important people in the building are treated as a subservient.
    Hank the floor sweep could replace that manager (no offense Hank)

The best way to salvage this debacal would be the owner firing the manager and buying all the employee's new stools and personally delivering them him or herself while thanking each and everyone for being there,
    Make them feel as important as you want them too be and they will be.

But a much needed firing also helps with moral issues.

Also with the new stools I would add these are NOT bar stools!!! the first one to wear out the seat gets bathroom duty for a month.

The "beatings will continue until moral improves" has been proven wrong time and time again,

I would like to add Im hoping one of the bigger companys will do something as dumb so I can pick up several of their better guys and turn them into
    shop owners

18. Likes Bobw, Thunderjet, empwoer, cnc_machinist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of this must matter to work done and cycle time.
    If sitting in your chair you are programming the next op then not so bad and maybe very good.
    If running parts that sit down/ step up takes something.
    Maybe very little, on fast cycles maybe a lot.
    My slow stuff is 60-600 seconds.
    I will haul the chair out of my office on occasion with the long ones.
    My computer system is brutal and will always show me that I loose time by doing so.
    What I should have done in 4 hours now takes me 4 1/2 or 5.
    I work to have all tools, guages, and other within two steps of the operator as each footstep counts.
    Chairs not only get in the way but blow the concept out the window.

Many people will get up out of the chair and be at the door before the machine stops but let's face it, if you have a chair often you will not get up until the door is already open.

B-port operators never sat down. Is this a cnc/cell phone/computer thing?
    Bob
    Last edited by CarbideBob; 09-21-2019 at 08:47 PM.

20. Likes memphisjed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Your back and behind will love it.

Aeron Chair by Herman Miller
    Do you have one of these Aeron chairs? how high can you adjust it? I like to tilt back on my chair and put my legs from the knee down on my workbench for a snooze once in a while. will this chair tilt enough or raise a bit to make this work on a 36" tall workbench. Clearly the only one here is me so I have no ass hole manager to please, well just me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$470?

"You save $480"

And I use any ole' POS that I git handed down to me or that I pick up for next'a nothin' at some auction....

Maybe y'all are sitt'n too much!

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'm guessing that Messrs Hardinge thought that chairs were a good idea:-

24. Likes M.B. Naegle, _boris_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metal-ica View Post
    That is some bullshit right there. If you're a players-coach you should have everyone call in sick next week and bring the shop to a halt. Your guys will respect you and it will pay dividends in the future.
    A different spin on "Blue Flue" eh?

------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Do you have one of these Aeron chairs? how high can you adjust it? I like to tilt back on my chair and put my legs from the knee down on my workbench for a snooze once in a while. will this chair tilt enough or raise a bit to make this work on a 36" tall workbench. Clearly the only one here is me so I have no ass hole manager to please, well just me!

I'm 5'3" so I've never tested how high it (or any other chair ) goes. I just put it all the way up, I can't find a tape measure, but I'd visually guesstimate it as about 32" off the ground. For fun, I kicked back and put my feet up on my desk, which is approximately 36" like yours, and it was pretty comfy. The chair reclines a decent bit, and what I love about it is that the spring rate on the recline is adjustable.